Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    eBay leaving CJ/VC
    The news just came out a few minute ago, starting w/ the US program and now it looks like i'm getting notices for each intl' program.

The new platform will go live on April 1st, 2008 PST, at which point eBay will no longer be running its affiliate program through Commission Junction.

Adios CJ.

Tuan
    [url="http://www.wholesaler.com"]Wholesaler.com[/url]

Exclamation eBay Partner Network
    eBay Partner Network

news repost

===========

We are excited to announce eBay’s new global affiliate platform: the eBay Partner Network.

The new platform will go live on April 1st, 2008 PST, at which point eBay will no longer be running its affiliate program through Commission Junction. Beginning April 1st, affiliates should register with eBay Partner Network and migrate their links from CJ to the new platform.

While CJ and ValueClick have been valuable partners to eBay throughout the years, we’ve decided to give our affiliate community a customized experience for eBay affiliates.

All the great tools and benefits of working with the eBay program will remain the same – access to the Editor Kit and affiliate API, the flexible destination tool, the great payout structure. In addition, the eBay partner network will provide several new features:
    • Easy global registration to multiple countries simultaneously
    • New, targeted banners and rich media creatives
    • New landing page optimization and geo-targeting capabilities
    • More detailed reporting capabilities for eBay’s programs

The eBay Partner Network and Commission Junction will run in parallel for one month through this process.

Migration is easy.
    • Selected publishers will get a link to join the eBay Partner Network on April 1, 2008. This e-mail will include a special invitation to join your country’s program.
    • Confirm your registration, and obtain your new identifiers
    • Update your links with your new identifiers.
    • Reminder: Please plan to complete migration by May 1, 2008.

You will receive more information and step by step directions for the transition on April 1st. A special help desk to answer your questions about migration will also be available starting April 1st. You can find more details, including a list of programs that will be affected, at http://affiliates.ebay.com.

Thanks for being a valued partner. We’re excited for a successful transition, and the opportunity to grow your business through even more innovations, information and communication moving forward!

Sincerely,

eBay’s Affiliate Managers

Just read that email, I actually saw that coming after the launch of their own contextual affiliate ads.

This is a giant move. Lots of work ahead for many here at ABW w/ this announcement.

-sfcom

WOW! This is GREAT in many ways but for those of us who own many websites I know what I will be doing the week of April 1 ( besides being a fool on the first day ) HUGE task ahead but will be worth it as Ebay is my #1 revenue generator on CJ.

Hopefully we can get some kind of heads up about the changes before April 1st. We only have a month to change this time, that not very much time.

I've merged Vrindavan's thread in and expanded the title.

Wow! What a big loss for CJ.

I guess this brings out the question, "What are networks doing to provide value for merchants?" I suspect that eBay had negotiated some highly discounted rates, yet they still felt like they would get more value by moving in-house.

I'm curious whether eBay will be offering direct deposit. That's the biggest thing I dislike about indies.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

If I'm reading it right, the update should be simple for anyone who is using rover links - likely just changing out the PID for a new eBay Partner Network ID. It sure would be nice if eBay would just leave our ID in place if we already have one on CJ. I know of at least one merchant (Magazine-Agent.com) who did that when they transitioned from BeFree to in-house.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Always seemed like eBay ran the most complicated program anyway, maybe it is for the best that they run their own show, if nothing else it would cut out one layer of bureaucracy from the operational side.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Wow.... Really interesting development. Hopefully I can signup for all eBay countries in one place. That would be cool.

-- edit --

Not all of them unfortunately... Here are the ones that are transitioning right now.

* eBay Australia
    * eBay Belgium
    * eBay Canada
    * eBay France
    * eBay Hong Kong
    * eBay India
    * eBay Italy
    * eBay Netherlands
    * eBay Singapore
    * eBay Spain
    * eBay United Kingdom
    * eBay United States
    * Half.com
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    CJ's quality control doesn't, but eBay will have lots to learn about policing things themselves. Am hoping they bone up very quickly and understand who is adding value and who isn't and that they rapidly pave the road for adders to be rewarded, and for leaches to be sprinkled with salt.

And good luck to all you eBay affs, I hope this turns out great for you all.

I am concerned about payouts as well. Will eBay offer direct deposits... or will we need to wait longer for checks to be mailed every month? I am hoping that they offer direct deposit and on the same pay schedule as CJ, the 20th of every month.

The new platform will go live on April 1st
    April 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I've merged Vrindavan's thread in and expanded the title.

Wow! What a big loss for CJ.

I guess this brings out the question, "What are networks doing to provide value for merchants?" I suspect that eBay had negotiated some highly discounted rates, yet they still felt like they would get more value by moving in-house.

I'm curious whether eBay will be offering direct deposit. That's the biggest thing I dislike about indies.
    I would expect they would be using Paypal as a means for diretc deposit..

Certainly not if I have any say in it. ;-)

I wonder if this is why tracking has been screwy the last few weeks as they have been getting things ready on the back-end...

I hope the commission structure doesn't change to the worse.

Boo on the paypal option, if that is indeed the case. I too hope we can just change pids. That's just a simple "find and replace". Anything else will be quite time consuming. Poor CJ, eBay is the only income generator I have there. What will they do now? lol

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo212
    If I'm not mistaken... Paypal currently does not collect SSN numbers... I would rather not have this info tied to my existing account.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I'd be thrilled if they added PayPal considering how not all countries currently have direct deposit at CJ.

I wonder if I'll actually be able to signup with Ebay after the change. They currently think that because I live in Mexico, I should promote MercadoLibre on my English sites with United States and Canada traffic (and hosted in the U.S.) .

I'm not at all surprised they're making this move. I'm just glad they're keeping an affiliate program in place! It will be a lot of work though.

I wonder how this will affect BANS users...

Any idea why they're leaving CJ?

ABW Ambassador
    Could the issue be "up time" ?

ABW Ambassador
    This has been an obvious move for as long time. Nice to see it finally coming into place.

It is interesting to see who they are leaving behind. I am guessing they don't think they have a strong relationship with the people who promote those programs?

Either way, nice and long overdue first step.

I sure hope Ebay will make the transition smoothly. Ebay is the only merchant I promote heavily through CJ. Big loss for CJ. It's interesting to see what the new TOS will be.

Faster payments would be nice. Net 20 is OK and I'm not complaining, but they could do a little better... especially for big publishers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast