ABW Ambassador
    VCLK Slammed for Spam
    The bastards that own CJ were just hit with the largest spam suit ever Yahoo News

This company makes me absolutely sick. From the beginning, CJ and BeFree had the golden opportunity to be a positive force in the development of the internet. The companies had the support of the community and an absolutely phenomenal marketing opportunity.

Instead, the wanks in charge of this company consistently turn toward the worst side of the internet. They destroyed their PPC model by actively encouraging the development of popups. They were leaders in the development of parasiteware.

Today, we learn that they are continuing to undermine their market with a piece of flim subsidiary called Hi-Speed Media.

It appears that Hi-Speed Media is part of the mediaplex system. Mediaplex is the unit that takes datamines all of the affiliate data in an effort to undermine the affiliates who use CJ. My guess is that they use the data harvested from the affiliate sites in CJ to help optimize the spam operations.

VCLK makes me sick. They had a golden opportunity to be a great company, but the second rate management of the company consistently squanders its opportunity.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    my bolding...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...58695420080317
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    The commission also had accused ValueClick and its subsidiaries Hi-Speed Media and E-Babylon of failing to secure consumers' financial information."

The FTC said that Hi-Speed Media had used e-mails, banner ads and pop-ups touting valuable free gifts like laptops to bring consumers to web sites where they were required to take out car loans or buy satellite television subscriptions in order to get the promised gifts.

"The FTC charged that ValueClick's use of deceptively labeled e-mail offering free gifts and its failure to disclose that consumers must expend substantial sums of money to obtain the promised 'free' merchandise violates the CAN-SPAM Act and the FTC Act," the commission said in a statement.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080317/value...ettlement.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    The fine is the largest ever imposed for a violation of the federal CAN-SPAM Act, the Federal Trade Commission said.

The FTC also charged that ValueClick did not adequately protect its customers' sensitive financial information, even though it claimed to encrypt such data. As part of the settlement, the company agreed to create a comprehensive online security program and get third-party assessments of it for 20 years.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

No wonder eBay dumped them. False claims about security, false advertising that violated the law, intentionally misleading consumers, and paying the largest fines ever for CAN-SPAM...

This is your "trusted" partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    ...The FTC also charged that ValueClick did not adequately protect its customers' sensitive financial information, even though it claimed to encrypt such data. As part of the settlement, the company agreed to create a comprehensive online security program and get third-party assessments of it for 20 years.
    I can think of a few ABW'ers that would make great third-party assessors. Hopefully their phones will be ringing. Think about it...a nice 20 year contract. $$$

-sfcom

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    The bastards that own CJ were just hit with the largest spam suit ever Yahoo News

This company makes me absolutely sick. From the beginning, CJ and BeFree had the golden opportunity to be a positive force in the development of the internet. The companies had the support of the community and an absolutely phenomenal marketing opportunity.

Instead, the wanks in charge of this company consistently turn toward the worst side of the internet. They destroyed their PPC model by actively encouraging the development of popups. They were leaders in the development of parasiteware.

Today, we learn that they are continuing to undermine their market with a piece of flim subsidiary called Hi-Speed Media.

It appears that Hi-Speed Media is part of the mediaplex system. Mediaplex is the unit that takes datamines all of the affiliate data in an effort to undermine the affiliates who use CJ. My guess is that they use the data harvested from the affiliate sites in CJ to help optimize the spam operations.

VCLK makes me sick. They had a golden opportunity to be a great company, but the second rate management of the company consistently squanders its opportunity.
    My first rant and plea to the CEO's of all the Affiliate networks in 1998 was this... The further you distance yourselves from the Advertising industry the more legitimate your 3rd party value add sales business becomes. NOT a ONE LISTENED and instead climbed in bed with every form of professional Adwhore hitch hiking down the Info Hiway. Then sold out to them to pay off the no-tell motel, hooker andf Bar bills.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    I wish there was someway to knock it into VCLK's head that if they played fair and just concentrated on providing a quality affiliate network, the manna would come their way.

Every single one of managements' clever schemes to leverage its affiliate network did far more harm to the company than good.

You would think that someone at corporate that Google (with its PPC game) is close to 100 times more valuable than VCLK despite the fact the Google started later and had less initial capital.

VCLK deserves every penny of the largest internet fine ever. Unfortunately, if VCLK is like other modern companies, the bastards in charge will take the fine out of the skins of the people who are doing good and not the crooks in the head office.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread