Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    It seems that many times when the issue of parasiteware is being dicussed, someone will eventually make the statement along the lines of "if an affiliate doesn't like the fact that a merchant has relationships with parasites, they don't have to partner with that merchant." As if this is the solution of the parasite issue...just don't associate with merchants who partner with the parasites.

While I will agree that every affiliate can freely decide what merchants they will or will not partner with, my agreement stops there. As with most spin, there is a small amount of truth in the opinion, but overall the opinion lacks factual basis. To say that an affiliate should just not partner with a merchant based off of parasite relationships is neither a short or long term solution and flies completely in the face of what our free enterprises system is all about. I'm totally amazed that people have the gall to even suggest such a thing as a viable way to address the issue.

Our capitalistic system is based on free enterprise, that is the ability to compete freely and fairly in the market place. There are reams and reams of law which the sole purpose is to attempt to ensure free and fair business practices. Ever take a look at the Federal Trade Register? It's why there is an FTC.

To suggest that the solution is for affiliates to just not associate themselves with merchants who also associate with parasites so that their commissions aren't stolen completely takes away that affiliates to compete freely and fairly in the marketplace. With some parasites associated with upwards to 500 merchants and there 30+ parasiteware applications out there, how could the average affiliate compete in the marketplace if that approach was taken? http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...1&m=1866043513 is just one thread here at ABW that reflects that reality.

I think that all involved should take a harder look (past the profits they are reaping at the moment) regarding the basic laws of our country which govern fair trade practices.

And for goodness sakes, come up with a better arguement to spin. If it's the best you can come up with, then maybe that should tell you something.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Ms. B:

Well put. As I have said before, this is not a simple issue, hence the lack of a simple solution. I think the only thing that most affiliates can agree on is that it is an issue. Ignoring it won't help. The simple solution you debunk so eloquently here isn't the answer either, for all the reasons you outline. Short of a definitive judicial ruling, what can truly alter the landscape in regard to parasites?

If I were working on a thesis, this would be my topic, to be sure!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    This issue has several aspects, all of which need to be addressed. At Bag of Cack I went ahead and built a page specifically for my visitors to check their PC. I have seen another site where they went ahead and put doxdesk.com's script at the bottom of every page on their site, stating that, because parasites are so prevalent now, it is necessary for the site's owner to make the surfer aware..... . I am going to create a page on each and every one of my 20 or so sites for this purpose.

Now, there are half a dozen more issues needed to resolve this, but I would put forth that, if every single abestweb member added that free script from doxdesk.com to a page on their site, hundreds of thousands of users would end up getting their PC's checked - and cleaned - every day. I mean, when you stop to think about the astronomical amount of traffic all of us produce on a combined basis, that is one of our strengths, we should wield it.

"Well, at least I got Terre Haute" - Steve Martin, "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid"

ABW Ambassador
    to play devil's advocate, one argument would be that you can develop your own parasitic software as well.

btw, that doxdesk.com script is great...I've already had one thank you email & several people talking about it on my forums and a forum on someone else's site. I've put it on every page of my smaller sites and the front pages of my larger sites, which I'll get to when I have more time...

FreeCallz.com

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Due to lack of action from networks I have added an alert to my customers if they get a pop up on my pop free site to head over to doxdesk.com's to find out more info. Long slow process but will add as we go.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

I have made this suggestion to my hubby before,

Create a banner to make the surfer aware of this issue and put it on top of your page that will show in every page on your site/s.

Because if your sites are getting traffic, let's say 100 + there is a chance that even one or two person will click on that and there is also a chance that, that person will let others know! So if you are getting thousands of people coming in to your site/s the percentage of exposure of this issue will be higher!

Create a page for that banner in a simple way that regular surfer will understand. a short explanation to really get them to check what is up!

We have people emailing us and they either thanking us or asking how to get rid of it!

The percentage of people using PC is not as aware of us of what is going on in CyberSpace or even know much about PC stuff.

My 2cents!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? <b>Crooks Overwriting Commissions.</b>
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Is there some kind of script that will let visitors know they have parasiteware and then recommend them to a software that will remove it via an affiliate link?

Paul Diemer, President
    Bit Wise Publishing, LLC
    http://www.bitwisepublishing.com

ABW Ambassador
    Paul...yes, the doxdesk.com script that we mentioned...you can get it here:
    http://www.doxdesk.com/software/js/parasite.html

FreeCallz.com

I agree with BLFH. For someone to say our best option is not to associate with merchants who allow parasites in their programs is a bunch of cr@p!

What a lame statement to make! That doesn't solve the problem, it's not even a Band Aid fix. It does nothing, except allow the parasites to thrive. It's like telling someone to not go somewhere because there's a disease running rampant there.

Instead of finding the cause of the disease, and discovering a cure for it, you just avoid it? The parasites are a disease, and they are gobbling up the affiliate marketing industry. They are making ROI and EPC figures a joke.

This advice (to not affiliate with parasite-ridden merchants) has been offered by some "experts" (Sorry, for lack of a better word...) here at ABW, and all I can say is I'm glad I'm not paying them for any of their services, if that's the best advice they can offer for this issue.

Andy

Yes, doxdesk is good. But the only problem is that it doesn't detect the activex scripts which are the most abundant.

Hopefully, someone will come up with a solution for that one soon.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    The only good parasite is a DEAD parasite~! That's the ONLY solution . . .

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

ABW Ambassador
    If a market in a capitalistic system is ruled by one or a little group of players this system has turned into a communistic like one. It is no difference in the issues to a state ruled system. The dictate of the market has turned to the dictate of the monopolists.

carneol

Parasites are a tool for the networks. And i get the feeling that this "tool" is much larger than most of you think.
    Imagine, a merchant wants an affiliate program, opens one at one of the main networks, leaves the progam with one of the outsource affiliate program managers, and these managers, just call all the parasites to join the program.
    Now the network gets a piece of the cake (when someone is buying something) of search engines redirects, address bar type-inn redirects and eventually overwrites from other affiliates.
    With only a view (30+) parasite partnerships the networks cover a huge market.
    Towards the merchant the networks just wave a paper with the stats, and the merchant has no idea that only 30+ "affilaites" joined there program, they still think that they have a base of thousands of potentional websites where they can partner with.
    But the networks are NOT interested in all those small affiliates.

So...Solution... Merchant Education...

Just my 2 cents
    pete

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Andy said:
    This advice (to not affiliate with parasite-ridden merchants) has been offered by some "experts" (Sorry, for lack of a better word...) here at ABW, and all I can say is I'm glad I'm not paying them for any of their services, if that's the best advice they can offer for this issue.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly Andy! It is self serving hogwash. The title of this post was definitely tongue in cheek.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for the link to the doxdesk parasite finding script. I copied the script to a blank page and plan to build a page for it on at least 2 of my sites.

That's the way to fight the parasiteware on their own turf. It would be ideal if you could make the script appear as a popup from the corner of the screen the way a lot of the parasiteware does.

The only problem I see with the script is you can't test the results of the script finding spyware on your computer unless you have such spyware on the computer. I suspect most people on this forum keeps their computer clean of such spyware.

BTW, Elbowcreek, as a fellow "hoosier" living an hour's drive from B-Town, I really liked your Bag of Cack site.

"The crowd has no hands." - Soren Kierkegaard

ABW Ambassador
    I installed the doxdesk script last year and had the same question abuot testing it. The developer, Andrew Glover emailed me the following:

"There shouldn't be much to get wrong, if there is a &lt;script> tag pointing at it, it should be working. If you want to see what a detection warning would look like, you could change the parasite.js file by taking the second
    class ID in the list F414C260-6AC0-11CF-B6D1-00AA00BBBB58) - an ID that will *always* be detected, as a control-test measure - and replace one of the other class IDs with it.

If you just want to check the script has run, type the following URL into
    the address bar after loading the page:

javascript:alert(parasite_status)

You should see an error window containing the word "clean". (Or "dirty" if
    something was found. Or a reason code if the script couldn't do the test.)"

Don't forget to change the script back immediately, or all your site visitors will get a false message.

I've had a few people email me with thanks for detecting parasites on their computer.

Wayne

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread