$712.85 Phone Order
    Because we track phone orders, an affiliate just received a manual commission of over $71 on a single $700+ order that came in by phone! I think that rocks!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Glad to see more people doing the right thing in a world where so many people dont... Keep up the good work!!

Congrats on the great sale!

Order will probably be reversed - based on my exp. with BCM

Quote Originally Posted by janew
    Order will probably be reversed - based on my exp. with BCM
    Our 30 day reversal graph shows a flat line at 0%...
    Eathan Mertz

Actually, our last reversal was 09/28/2007 at 12:45.46 PM. Sound familiar?

You're welcome to your opinion, but the facts remain the facts. We've had 6 reversals since we launched in 2006, one of which was the Shareasale test transaction that is part of initial account set-up.
    Eathan Mertz

This is the reason that my best efforts aren't spent on merchants who refuse to track phone orders saying that they hardly get any, so they shouldn't bother. The ones that *do* will get their phone number put up on my sites along with their products and the spiel. Losing "just a few" commissions is too many with all the other strikes against affiliates. If the leaky sites, and link hijackers, and BHOs and tollbooth operators and 'anti-spyware' apps and type-in-the-url customers don't get you you're doing good. Oh, forgot broken merchant links..that too.

Totally agree 2busy, its crazy that this form of 'shaving' still happens

Exactly! I was an affiliate before I became an AM and well before I became a merchant, so have a natural aversion to leaks. I try to run things the way I'd want them run if I were in the program.
    Eathan Mertz

Would this make everybody happy?
    We're able to avoid leaks on phone orders. Problem is when a customer phones an order in (rare occasion) the salesperson on the phone should receive commission. So what happens to the affiliate that sent the customer in the first place?

We can track the customer and connect him/her to the affiliate. So let's say our commission rate is 10%. Long story short, is it "FAIR" to split the commission between the affiliate and the salesperson - 5% each?

I believe this the best solution, and it's better to get something rather than nothing, but I want to ensure that since we're not giving the 10% in that occasion, no one would consider it a "leak". Again, it happens occasionally. Split commissions happens all the time in sales.

So the question is, assuming YOU were the affiliate, would you be ok with that...or would you still expect the full 10% commission?

thanks
    Last edited by Afilyit; May 3rd, 2008 at 10:21 AM.

The salesperson on the phone works on a commission? They brought you a new customer?

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    The salesperson on the phone works on a commission? They brought you a new customer?
    I, too, did not realize phone order takers received a commission. I could understand that if they were out soliciting new business - but just to take an order???
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

In most cases (at least for us), customer service reps do more than just take orders and be done with it. I have never heard of customer service reps getting a commission but I do think there is more to that job that just taking an order. For us, in many cases, they are calling because they couldn't find what they wanted and need help and our reps are guiding them on products, suggesting alternatives, recommending products that are similar to try to increase the order size, etc... They are actively working to close the sale and satisfy the customer. That could be the difference of gaining a new customer or losing that customer to a competitor.

I am not saying that affiliates shouldn't get the full commission for phone orders, I believe they should. I just want to point out that there are many important steps along the way of closing a sale and the value that a really good customer service rep brings shouldn't be discounted as someone that just takes orders.

<>

No, they didn't bring a new customer, but they closed the sale. In our case, we do not use customer service reps, calls are routed to salespeople. That's why they work on commission.

People don't call use just to place an order - there are no laydowns. They call with questions and concerns. So it's a team effort. Sometimes their questions are answered, and the person goes back to the web to order. Sometimes they may be talking about the product to 20 minutes on the call. The point is, in many situation, both should be paid.

A merchant can pretty much set whatever terms they like as long as the terms are made clear to affiliates and not changed on a case by case basis. If you are offering 20% commissions then you can't rightly change it for one method of ordering over another. Your internal sales reps most likely work on salary+commission, not commission only. The terms that you have in your agreement decide what commission is to be paid to an affiliate, we get no paycheck; only the commission on sales we drive, and even that is IF we get past the minefield of leaks, BHO's, cookie removers, etc. I respect the fact that they do more than close the sale, but the affiliates do more than post a banner (I would hope). Each business is different and if those are your terms, no problem, just spell things out in advance so people who decide to work in your program know what to expect.

I haven't logged in for a while, so sorry if I'm late to the recent conversation.

The split commission question is a good one. Phone orders are a lot of work. They often require calls to suppliers to check lead times on special orders, running shipping quotes for special circumstance shipping (rush orders, shipments to Canada, etc), calls back to customers with quotes, hand holding, explaining how to pay by check or money order and so on. They also often involve higher ticket and lower margin products.

For example, we had another large (close to $700) affiliate referred phone order today. I had to jump through many of the above listed hoops personally and will have to jump through more hoops next week so the customer can come pick up his order to avoid shipping charges. After the cost of goods, cost of shipping to us, affiliate commission and SAS' cut we'll make next to nothing on the order, but I'm okay with that. My hope is that the work pays for itself with long term business from the new customer.

We're still paying full commissions on phone orders, but I can totally understand why some companies might choose a split. A split is still a far cry from the bulk of programs who don't track at all.
    Eathan Mertz

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread