No Longer Banned!
    (2008) A Question For Affiliate Managers.....
    Hi

When researching an affiliates site for approval, do affiliate managers look at things like the domain being registered/ renewed for 5+ years at one time as opposed to being registered for one year at a time ?

Aside from broken links and appearance/ inappropriate content, do AM's generally check the sites stats say like in who is or any other stuff ?

If so, what ? Why ? Do these things weigh in to a sites creditability/ lagitamacy ect. ?

Please advise

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

I do if I'm making a private offer. Short of that, not really, since it's likely that the affiliate will be using more than one site, PPC, whatever.

That said, when we suspect something is up, we check very thoroughly
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Short of that, not really, since it's likely that the affiliate will be using more than one site, PPC, whatever.

That said, when we suspect something is up, we check very thoroughly
    I feel the same way. If I feel something is up, I will contact the affiliate and ask where our links and banners are being posted. Most of the time though, I've found that the site they sign up with is not the site that they use to promote our program, whether they build one or use PPC.

No Longer Banned!
    What's Involved in the Approval process for New Affiliates ?...
    Hi !

So then for the most part it is just looks/ links/ content ect. ? Click a few buttons and send out a mail regarding your decision then ? {This implies a new sign up as opposed to an existing or dishonest one or some other thing I haven't thought of}.

No checking traffic stats ect. ?

Just a quick look perhaps ?

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; March 18th, 2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added sentance...
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

In our case, we utilize Auto approve so affiliates that think of us in the middle of the night can get right to work, so I can't fully answer your question.

But an odd transaction, or weird traffic patterns, and our red flag runs up and we start looking.

I see my job as assisting you in marketing, not to tell you how to do it. So I trust a majority of the affiliates that play by the rules to place us appropriately. And i get rid of the bad ones as they surface.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

For anyone applying into our program we ask how they will be promoting us. We do this to make initial contact and to get a feel for who we're working with.

We don't usually approve affiliates until they get back to us. I like knowing that they will be responsive if an issue arrises in the relationship we have with them. I'm with Noth and Jamieindigo, if something seems fishy, we start digging deeper.

We will work with affiliates with new sites, because we believe everyone has an opportunity to grow, and it takes time to develop a good site.
    [B][COLOR=Navy]Nadia Levine (van Rooyen)[/COLOR][/B]
    Senior Manager, Affiliate Practice at Vantage Media
    nlevine(at)VantageMedia.com

No Longer Banned!
    What goes through an AM's head during tha approval process ?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    In our case, we utilize Auto approve so affiliates that think of us in the middle of the night can get right to work, so I can't fully answer your question.

But an odd transaction, or weird traffic patterns, and our red flag runs up and we start looking.

I see my job as assisting you in marketing, not to tell you how to do it. So I trust a majority of the affiliates that play by the rules to place us appropriately. And i get rid of the bad ones as they surface.
    Noth

I noticed that some are a manual approve process and so it often takes days for them to get around to emailing the affiliate and letting them know if approved for a first time sign up or not, which is no big deal, however I was wondering what goes through the guys head that sits in the office and clicks the buttons then sends out an email for the approval process.

Very interesting topic

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; March 18th, 2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling/ Grammar

Hi Steve,
    I think you are thinking the right way in order to feel like you're approving quality affiliates. If you have the time you can look into page/site stats however I agree with Jamie that the information affiliates provide is sometimes not that accurate and they might have other subsites they want to advertise your brand on. In addition, some sites are new and might not be ranked that high, they need a chance to grow. I work primarily in LinkShare so on a regular basis I run what is called an IP report on my top 20 & any affiliatse that might look suspicious (especially around the holidays) to be sure they arent bidding on branded terms & typosquatting, etc. That is very helpful.

If you have a good feeling about them from the start, let them in and if you see something odd or wrong then reach out. Otherwise you'll be driving yourself crazy checking out stats for each & every site- very time consuming!

He's not an affiliate manager.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I think you have 2 business risks to consider:

1) Approve everyone and suffer possible fraud
    2) Be very selective and lose possible sales...

I think it really depends on where you want to invest the time vetting affiliates or dealing with customers, I don't think there is a right or wrong, just what suits your business model

Outsourced Program Manager kgarcia's Avatar
    I nearly always check whois, but the number of years a domain is registered for is not much of a concern by itself. What _is_ a major red flag to me is hidden whois information coupled with a freshly registered domain and new to network application. It doesn't necessarily mean that application won't get approved, but it means I'm going to keep a very close eye on it for the first couple of months.

I run a tight ship in terms of who gets into programs I manage, so I _never_ use auto-approve. Too many people causing trouble with their black-hat antics.
    Karen Garcia
    [URL=http://lab6media.com]Lab6 Media[/URL]
    Are you a content creator? A serial entrepreneur? New to the space or a long time player? We'd love to work with you!
    [URL=http://lab6media.com/clients/]Explore the affiliate programs we manage![/URL]

No Longer Banned!
    What is goin through an AM's mind at the approval process ?...
    Hi !

Dan Clark is quite correct, I am not an Affiliate Manager. For now I am just the Affiliate.

My goal is to more clearly understand what goes through an AM's head during the approval process ?

This of course applies to first time sign ups and manual approve programmes of course.

Currently, I do no advertising at all and again this would be strictly for first time sign ups ect., so no worries about the black hat or fishy stuff.

Thank you Dan. Great Job !

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; March 18th, 2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Spelling/ Grammar

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    In our approach to approving Affiliates, we look at various components:

1. Exisiting relationships and track record

2. Site content, but not limited by this criteria entirely as not all Affiliates use the domain or site they submitted to the network to drive traffic.

3. Lastly, we follow up with many of our Affiliate applications after a certain time period through numerous avanues.

To answer your question regarding "Who Is", we try to avoid this route. We've found some Affiliates don't like it and the information is outdated.
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

No Longer Banned!
    AM's and The Approval Process, What're They Thinkin' ?...
    Hi

So now what if the guy signing up for your programme has no track record/ is a new sign up ect. ?

How do you determain his traffic levels for the approval process ? Does the network share this with you ?

Is the process pretty much strictly based on appearance of the site/ broken links ?

Why do the networks stone wall their Affiliates and refuse to help ?

Why do the Merchants blow the affiliates off when contacted ?

Why is it when I contact the net work I can't get any straight answers and when I contact the merchants I can't get any answers at all ?

What goes through an AM's head during the approval process ?

Steve

Like I said in my previous post, we give everyone a chance, but you have to be willing to communicate with us. We don't consider the traffic levels of the affiliates (although this can be done with tools and site available online).

The appearance of the site does have some influence, as does their links, whether it gets flagged by McAfee as a "red" site etc.

As for the network question, I can't really answer that, but I know some of them aren't very good at responding to merchants as well.

We answer all the questions and correspondence that come from our partners. We do it within 24 - 48 hours, normally within a couple of hours. I'm not sure who you're working with to get no reaction, but there are merchants out there that are in constant communication with their partners.

I do think that there are a lot of AM's out there that don't realize the value in communication, or that new affiliates can grow and turn out to be their biggest affiliate.
    [B][COLOR=Navy]Nadia Levine (van Rooyen)[/COLOR][/B]
    Senior Manager, Affiliate Practice at Vantage Media
    nlevine(at)VantageMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    Hi

So now what if the guy signing up for your programme has no track record/ is a new sign up ect. ?

How do you determain his traffic levels for the approval process ? Does the network share this with you ?

Is the process pretty much strictly based on appearance of the site/ broken links ?

Why do the networks stone wall their Affiliates and refuse to help ?

Why do the Merchants blow the affiliates off when contacted ?

Why is it when I contact the net work I can't get any straight answers and when I contact the merchants I can't get any answers at all ?

What goes through an AM's head during the approval process ?

Steve
    Most of the time you have to just use good judgement and have a lot of faith. I believe that an affiliate that signs up has good intentions and is interested in promoting my product. There are occasions that this is not the case, check out the unethical affiliates board for some of those. But just because the affiliate is a newbie with no track record doesn't give me any reason to reject them. We all started out with no track record and look where we are now

As for the last few questions, I'm not sure about the experiences you've had with different networks so I can't answer that. I also don't "blow off" my affiliates so I can't help you with that one either. I don't think you're going to find many merchants that will give you a straight answer of "I blow my affiliates off because..."

No Longer Banned!
    AM's & the Approval Process....
    Hi

I sure hear you there ma'am. I just hoped I could get some insight to this. I wish I had a better way of getting through to people that are making the barriers to communicate with them too high. After all, I am in fact trying to contact them.

My guess is that this is a network thing and that the merchants are leaving it up to the network, and the network does not talk to affiliates that are new, and tells the affiliates that they must contact the merchant.

I figured that at least the AM's might say that the most common reasons you wind up with an 8000 USD phone bill talking to answering machines is "x". Or the most common reasons an affiliate goes in circles is cuz "Y".

Initially I hoped the first few questions would shed some light one the subject. Though some thought I was an AM instead.

A few thoughts and some insight would be great.

Steve

No Longer Banned!
    A Big Part Of The Answer About Aff. MGRS.....
    Hi

The initial question was do Networks share affiliates info with Merchants ?

Answer. Dunno. However if you type in a domain name into the Google Search Box Say Such as for Example Haiko Depoel Is A Great Guy Dot Com and you look at the tiny links at the top of the page, there is a text link that tells the person looking at it how much traffic, how much money gets spent, how many clicks the site gets and tells the sites ad budget too. ~ The Affiliate Managers don't even need to look at your site, they can just push a tiny button to see if you pass the "BUM" test.

Now I can't speak for all people by any means. But I know lots of people who decide if they want to talk to you based on their perception of how much money you have. So if you advertise completely off line {Say in news paper ads} there is a good chance you will get looked at funny by the Affiliate Managers. Yukkie Yukkie.

It still seems you would at least show some traffic a/o clicks though on the Traffic Estimator. At least you would think so.

So as a contribution to the community, if you look like you are broke, there is a good possibility you will get ignored by some programmes.

However it works, the Traffic Estimator seems to be rather limited though. Google even has a disclaimer on it......

I have also noted that it is common place in Aff. Marketing to place high emphasis on relationships and "knowing" a person and an emphasis is also placed on "Intentions". I'd say there are some sceptical people in this biz and if they don't know you they wont talk to you no matter how much money you got. ~ Fortunately, not every person is like that though.

For some people it is strictly a money game. For some it is not. For some it is their passion. For some it is a combination of things.

In there is part of the answer. Now for the next part. 5000 yards and closing.

Hope this helps

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; April 5th, 2008 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Texas Spelling Spree....

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    The thing I am most interested in is whether the affiliate owns the site that they are applying under. If anything looks fishy, or if the whois information is hidden then the odds are that the application will go into pending.

It's a shame, but due to fraud AM's have to be very careful with affiliates that they let on board. IMHO If you don't know who you're working with, you can't work with them. [As a side note I don't really get the whole hidden whois thing. If smeone really wants to trace you, they can, and it just looks suspicious when you are applying to affiliate programs].
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Outsourced Program Manager Ross Yamashita's Avatar
    I know this thread is old but thanks for this thread. Helped us out a lot with the burning question of what to do with suspicious affiliate applications.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread