Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Handicap Parking Usage
    Do you ever wonder about the people that get those handicap hanging tags that allow them to park in handicap parking spots? I went grocery shopping around 7am this morning and was eating a egg mcmuffin in the car before I went into the grocery store. As I was enjoying my breakfast, I watched a Cadillac Escalade pull into one of the handicap spots. I could see the hang tag from where I was sitting. I watched a male/female couple a few years older than myself get out of the car and grab a shopping cart. The two walked with no apparent limp of any sort. The male even rode on the back of the cart and jokingly almost ran into the female, who jumped out of the way and laughed. From my perspective, these two individuals didn't show any signs of being handicapped. We have a family member that is permanently disabled that does have a legitimate handicap tag to use when she is in the car with someone who can drive so I take a little offense to this apparent mis-use of the handicap tag. Maybe the state is lenient on those that request them?

I too have seen my fair share of those who appear they could walk from one end of the parking lot to the other without issue in these situations. Makes you wonder if they just get the hanging tags from friends and relatives (living or dead.)

I think the rule should be that in order to use the handicapped spots, you need to be utilizing some sort of assisting device such as a wheelchair, cane, walker, etc. Otherwise, you should be just fine to park a couple of rows away.

-sfcom

People can get those signs for all sorts of issues, many cannot be seen. you're not their doctor. maybe they can walk a little, but not far. i know people who have placards becasue of emphasyma, arthritis, lupus, etc. not everyone needs a device.

you should not pass judgement, just be happy you don't need one!

I'm with you on that. My father in law who passed away a few years ago had a tag. He was diabetic and had developed complications which caused him to be wheel chair bound. But I could not believe how people with out a tag would just park right in handicap space. That to me is a really peer behavior.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by skishore2006
    People can get those signs for all sorts of issues, many cannot be seen. you're not their doctor. maybe they can walk a little, but not far. i know people who have placards becasue of emphasyma, arthritis, lupus, etc. not everyone needs a device.

you should not pass judgement, just be happy you don't need one!
    OK, then. So maybe they should have different spots for different medical degrees of difficulty then. Make the closest spots a red instead of blue sign. Only allow those with the most extreme situations in those and they would have a red hanging tag.

You know I don't know what the solution is. Seems like the golden rule could go a long way in this scenario though.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    You know I don't know what the solution is. Seems like the golden rule could go a long way in this scenario though.

-sfcom

Know it, and live it.
    Thanks,
    Doug

People can get those signs for all sorts of issues, many cannot be seen. you're not their doctor.
    I never claimed to be the doctor. It was merely an observation that I have witnessed quite frequently. You are probably right, one of them may have a broken heart.

http and a telephoto
    There are LOTS of hidden disabilities and no I don't see the need for special designation for spots. People can have heart problems, breathing problems, spinal issues that aren't apparent, there are thousands of conditions that qualify people to be able to park closer to a door.

Believe me, I am a hawk when it comes to watching who is using those spaces. I needed them for years with my sons, I needed them for myself and for other family members in temporary situations.

Things aren't always what they appear. Tags are not easy to get.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    ...Tags are not easy to get.
    In agreement with most of what you wrote, except this. Google "handicapped tags" and look what comes up in the paid listings. It is companies like those that make it a problem.

-sfcom

"You are probably right, one of them may have a broken heart."

you don't need to get snotty.

really, how do you know what disability someone may have? as loxly said, things are not always waht they apprear.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    This is a very personal matter to me, and issues with handicapped parking come up on a regular basis.

First, the obvious.

My wife has been in a wheelchair for a little over 4 years now. Her disability is thus obvious. For her to exit the car without extreme difficulty, we need at least a four foot clearance on the passenger side of the car. In CA (and probably in most states), handicapped spots have divider grids on one side of the spot, either driver or passenger side, and no more than 1/2 the time, usually much less, can we find a spot with that grid on the correct side. Also, a good share of the time, all handicapped spots are occupied. Parking in a regular spot or a handicapped spot without a passenger-side grid makes it very difficult for my wife to exit the car and get into her wheelchair.

My father has Parkinson's disease. For several years, he had moderate symptoms, which were not always obvious to anyone seeing him park in a handicapped spot, but he needed to, as he could only walk short distances, and that could take him a long time. As his symptoms increased, he had to stop driving and his handicap became more obvious as he progressed to a walker and then to a wheelchair.

Now, the not so obvious.

My daughter is 30 years old. To any onlooker, she looks like a healthy, vibrant young woman. However, she is an amputee, and legally blind, which no one seeing her husband park in a handicapped spot could determine. While she walks without any discernible limp or difficulty most of the time, it is still painful for her to walk the majority of the time, due to constant neurological pain in the area of the amputation. She has also learned, over the past 18 years, to hide her vision problems well.

I understand your concern, Seymour, but if you saw my daughter, you would never imagine her to require the handicapped parking spot that she does need so badly.

When I drive alone, I am often tempted to use my wife's placard, not to park in a handicapped spot, but to avoid having to feed a parking meter, but I resist the temptation.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Outsourced Program Manager kgarcia's Avatar
    My mother has a handicapped tag. She's 55 and in good health, except for her left knee. She is missing a large part of the miniscus due to an accident and some days it's excruciating for her to walk far. Other days it's not so bad so she doesn't always use her tag. She always wears pants so people can't see the brace she wears, nor see that her left knee is constantly swollen to about twice the size of her right. She can barely handle climbing stairs, but if she is leaning on a store cart, her limp is almost imperceptible.

I can't tell you the number of times that inconsiderate jerks have yelled at my mother for using her tag when she's "obviously not handicapped". As Debbie so aptly put it, things are not always what they appear. Be kind to others...you never know who is putting a brave face on their private suffering.
    Karen Garcia
    [URL=http://lab6media.com]Lab6 Media[/URL]
    Are you a content creator? A serial entrepreneur? New to the space or a long time player? We'd love to work with you!
    [URL=http://lab6media.com/clients/]Explore the affiliate programs we manage![/URL]

I am glad that Seymour brought this up. Obviously if he was one without a heart, he would be bashing all handicapped people, not just the ones who were seemingly abusing parking privileges of others more in need of them.

The one thing to keep in mind is that we weren't there.

I don't know how this is to be policed. All I know is that there is some perception involved somewhere. Who is to be the only judge if someone is taking advantage of the system, a police officer? Surely not. It takes everyone keeping their eyes peeled in situations like this to be good citizens. Are only handicapped people allowed to question the seeming lack of disability in others? Not at all. There ARE people out there who take advantage of these tags everyday. Handicapped people make judgments. Non-handicapped people make judgments. So, what are we supposed to do? What would you do? How can everyday people make a difference?

I think the OP was just writing about his observation. It is not to be construed as his lack of caring or empathy for others.

-sfcom

"You are probably right, one of them may have a broken heart."

you don't need to get snotty.

when I received mine, the police dept. that issued it told me to keep it locked up as people in that area were ripping them off.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by kgarcia
    Be kind to others...you never know who is putting a brave face on their private suffering.
    You're right!

That is one of the best quote I have read in a very long time!

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, you never know. My dad has one. If they have a legit handicap tag, then it's legit. Unless you're a doctor that's personally examined them, then you're really not in a position to say anything.

I had a handicap placard when I was going through treatment for cancer, and I had good days and bad days....one lady had the audacity to chastise me for using a handicap spot because according to her I looked healthy. I was so disturbed that I had to explain why I was using a placard and that someone shouldn't be so judge mental. You never know what the reasons are and you don't need to know. Obliviously their doctor thinks there is an impairment and that is all you need to know.

Well I know when I am wrong, especially around here when everyone else is right. My mistake. Your right. Every single person that has a handicap parking tag must need it as prescribed by their doctor. I see now there are no exceptions to that. There is no room for abuse. Gosh, what was I thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Well I know when I am wrong, especially around here when everyone else is right. My mistake. Your right. Every single person that has a handicap parking tag must need it as prescribed by their doctor. I see now there are no exceptions to that. There is no room for abuse. Gosh, what was I thinking.
    Your condesending response is totally uncalled for. Yes, some people abuse the system and use handicapped placards they are not entitled to. But the vast majority of people obtain them legally and use them properly and you cannot assume otherwise becaues in your opinion someone doesn't "show any signs of being handicapped."

Go back and read the posts from skishore2006, loxly, kgarcia, rolet, and me.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Originally posted by SeymourButts
    I went grocery shopping around 7am this morning and was eating a egg mcmuffin in the car before I went into the grocery store. As I was enjoying my breakfast, ...
    It's clear you were simply confused. Afterall, which were you doing: eating an egg mcMuffin or enjoying your breakfast? The two are mutually exclusive.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    If it's a legit one, not one of those fake ones, then yes, you were wrong. I think the people that give them out are a little more experienced to make those kind of assessments. It goes a little more deeper, than look, you don't have a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    If it's a legit one, not one of those fake ones, then yes, you were wrong. I think the people that give them out are a little more experienced to make those kind of assessments. It goes a little more deeper, than look, you don't have a limp.
    In CA and I am sure most, if not all states, to obtain a handicapped placard, an MD has to certify in writing that the person is suffering from a disabling illness or injury and in need of the placard. For temporary problems, they are provided for a limited period. For permanently disabling conditions, they must be re-certified and renewed every 2 years.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    I had a handicap placard when I was going through treatment for cancer, and I had good days and bad days....one lady had the audacity to chastise me for using a handicap spot because according to her I looked healthy. I was so disturbed that I had to explain why I was using a placard and that someone shouldn't be so judge mental. You never know what the reasons are and you don't need to know. Obliviously their doctor thinks there is an impairment and that is all you need to know.
    Glad you pulled through the treatment Aunesty! Geesh, some of us have been through it and back and I'd venture a guess that we'd never know unlessa thread like this comes along. :-(

Reminds me of when I was 8 months pregnant and at the mall, taking a ciggie break, sitting on a bench. Some nosy, holier than thou old lady got in my face and decided it was her place to chastise me for smoking while I was pregnant. I looked her in the eye and calmly said: "I'm not pregnant." LMAO - She shut up and skulked away like the slime ball she was. It was a moment of pure bliss.

I have nothing enlightening to add to the actual thread topic, but I learned a lot from reading other posts about not looking "sick" but needing a handicap parking space. Probably best to leave the judging to Judy.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Well, its official. Something I've suspected for a long time.
    Egg McMuffins make you a little cranky!!!...lol
    Seriously, as someone who dates a handicap person that one day seems to be in good health, and another day can barely walk,I have changed my thinking when I see a person"walk"away from a handicap space.
    I'm just happy to not need the tag myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast