Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    looks like Vista SP1 has been released
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/18/v...ally-released/

who's going to be the first to try it?

I'll wait till the bugs are out.

ABW Ambassador
    I see it available in my Windows Update. Wish me luck, I'm going to go for it.

This is amusing. Three posts so far and three totally different points of view. Caution, rejection, and cast my fate to the wind.
    I'm going to stick with my Win2000!

X

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I see it available in my Windows Update. Wish me luck, I'm going to go for it.
    Let us know how it goes - step by step if you have the time

ABW Ambassador
    I hesitated, I'm still thinking about it Right now everything is running smooth.

I had it set to Install Updates Automatically

then I changed it to

Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.

So if I still had it on Auto, I would have had it by now. Well, some say that people with that setting are getting it later, not sure how all that works.

So the Install Updates button is staring at me... But it's Windows right? What could go wrong.

ha, yeah - what could go wrong, how many times have I said that and regretted it.

I have mine set to download only - wonder if that's why it hasn't come to my computer yet. Buy i'm not in any rush

BTW - that youtube video in your (trust) sig is hilarious - she must be made of rubber or something.

I might update over the weekend just in case. I had a LOT of issues with Vista and decided to start over, do a complete factory restore and try it again. It's now more stable than it was before but still has issues.

My internet connection is still flakey and every time I go into sleep or hibernation it's a crap shoot. Sony must have had a lot of complaints as they offered a free XP install disc, which I took advantage of in case I get my fill of Vista. I like Vista's looks and features but sure miss the XP performance.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    "I have mine set to download only - wonder if that's why it hasn't come to my computer yet. Buy i'm not in any rush"

Somebody asked that question and I normally just hit Windows Update from the Start button and it pops up with any updates listed. But there is also a link in the upper left, Check for updates on that screen that pops up. When I clicked that, it showed up. It could be it just got around to my computer. It'll say Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)

Screw it, I'm going for it. If I don't post again today, don't update.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, just updated. It says it was successful. Also seems like I got 20G of space back on the hard drive.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I'm still using XP professional.

Ask me about Vista in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Ok, just updated. It says it was successful. Also seems like I got 20G of space back on the hard drive.
    Wow, great. How did it go, smooth? Was there anything you needed to do before hand?

Any noticeable differences?

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, went smooth. Haven't noticed anything really different. Had the Google Toolbar with Page Rank enabled, just had to reenable that. I only had one problem with Vista when I got my new computer last Summer and that was transferring some CD's I burned from my old computer. Will try that again later see if they fixed that.
    Last edited by Trust; March 18th, 2008 at 08:08 PM.

From what I have read your computer may be slower for the first few days after the update. It has to retrain itself lol

http and a telephoto
    I tried Ubuntu and at this point in my career I also have too many windows specific programs and hardware to switch. It was a nightmare and I won't do it again. Dual boot maybe, but new op sys entirely? Can't/won't happen. Maybe a Mac in a year or two...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Those of you who want to compare systems - you can run different operating systems via the free Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.

-sfcom

Mac with Parallels Desktop = problem solved. People say Macs are expensive, but depending on one's needs, you can get into a Mac for well under a grand. Many software vendors will give discounts (or freebies) for cross-platform switching if you ask, too.

I'm running Vista under Parallels, and I have no desire to mess around with SP1 - or any other SP for that matter. The only thing I use it for is playing a bit of poker and some online game sites like GSN that aren't Mac compatible. Oh, and Rhapsody. Comment Kahuna, too - although I have yet to really work with it since I got it some months ago. That's about it though... and for what I use it for, I don't need a service pack because Vista is stable enough to handle those minor tasks.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    From what I have read your computer may be slower for the first few days after the update. It has to retrain itself lol
    My first restart it took about 30 seconds longer but now back to normal. And from the looks of it, I had one game that lagged a little bit but now fast. So I like this upgrade. Haven't seen any issues with it whatsoever.

I took the plunge and it seems everything is running better.

ABW Ambassador
    "I only had one problem with Vista when I got my new computer last Summer and that was transferring some CD's I burned from my old computer. Will try that again later see if they fixed that."

And it did.

Flamingoworld - can you define better?

Trust - what kind of transferring problems, copying, ripping, etc.. ?

As you can see - i'm still timid!

Thanks
    -Samir

http and a telephoto
    This is a Vista SP1 thread, can we drop the Linux posts? We've heard it, we aren't switching (or we tried it and didn't like it), we probably don't care.

I upgraded to SP1 on the laptop last night, it seems to have worked just fine. It restarted when I was not around, so don't know if it was slower or not. Will try a couple reboots in a few minutes once I check a few more things. Downloading it for the desktop now.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    My set up now seems to run a little crisper.
    No problems detected as yet.
    Recovered some 8 G of hard drive space.

So far so good.

It seems like my computer isn't sucking up the memory so much when I have a lot of things running. I can play my itunes and process some files at the same time now. Not having some of the issues I was having with dreamweaver dragging anymore. My network seems to be faster, probably due to less memory hogging.

ABW Ambassador
    "Trust - what kind of transferring problems, copying, ripping, etc.. ?"

There was a problem some people seemed to have with transferring things over, were some big threads in the microsoft forum about it when it first launched and I had problems getting some cd's I burned transferred to the new computer with Vista. But it looks like it fixed it.

So, I would go ahead and upgrade. As you can tell from the people that have in this thread, they're seeing the same things I am. Get some disk space back, things run faster so it looks like they did a good job with this one.

Went to download the SP so I would have it when I was ready but it's not listed on the available updates. I clicked Check for Updates but it's still not listed. The newest update listed is from 3/11.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast