Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No Longer Banned!
    (Thread Split) Operating System Throwdown
    hi

ms vista is garbage and not worth the effort. i have it and nearly never use it for this reason....

I'll stick to linux. Ever think of switching ?

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    hi

ms vista is garbage and not worth the effort. i have it and nearly never use it for this reason....

I'll stick to linux. Ever think of switching ?

Steve
    Have been a long time linux user in the past. In my case, there are too many windows specific program I need to use.

Quote Originally Posted by buyjewelry
    Have been a long time linux user in the past. In my case, there are too many windows specific program I need to use.
    Just out of cuiosity what programs do you need on the MS platform that you can't find for linux.

I ask because I recently switched to Ubuntu and found almost everything I need with Ubuntu with the exception of some video editing software I use for making DVDs of home movies. Outside of that I really like Linux.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by itsupportnotes
    Just out of cuiosity what programs do you need on the MS platform that you can't find for linux.
    Some jewelry industry specific softwares - and they don't play nice with the windows emulators that linux has (though i don't know if there has been any progress in the last few years)

No Longer Banned!
    Ever try switching 2 Linux ?....
    Quote Originally Posted by itsupportnotes

I ask because I recently switched to Ubuntu and found almost everything I need with Ubuntu with the exception of some video editing software I use for making DVDs of home movies. Outside of that I really like Linux.
    DreamLinux does much of this. The DE final release will be out in like April or so on CD.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; March 19th, 2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: forgot sig
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

No Longer Banned!
    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/12/17/windows-vista-named-biggest-technolo

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    That is just someone's opinion and they don't like it.

My opinion is that I do like it and my opinion is just as good as their's.

Learn to not believe everything that you read and start thinking for yourself.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Check the rest of the list:

8. Apple “Leopard” OS 10.5 (probably mac fans would disagree?)
    5. Apple iPhone (seems to be selling pretty nicely)
    6. The Broadband Industry (yeah, too fast, I should go back to dial up)
    13. Social Networks (yeah facebook is doing horribly, I've never heard of them)

etc.

But who cares about a list? If you're happy with your OS/computer, it doesn't really matter about some list or what other people think. I love Vista, prefer it over XP.

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Check the rest of the list:

8. Apple “Leopard” OS 10.5 (probably mac fans would disagree?)
    5. Apple iPhone (seems to be selling pretty nicely)
    6. The Broadband Industry (yeah, too fast, I should go back to dial up)
    13. Social Networks (yeah facebook is doing horribly, I've never heard of them)

etc.

But who cares about a list? If you're happy with your OS/computer, it doesn't really matter about some list or what other people think. I love Vista, prefer it over XP.
    Bingo Trust.

I love my Vista too.

No Longer Banned!
    DreamLinux Is Farr Better than Vista CrapWare...
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    That is just someone's opinion and they don't like it.
    Learn to not believe everything that you read and start thinking for yourself.
    Fact. Vista crashed more times than Ray Charles driving drunk on a Harley.

Fact: when you buy a computer with vista on it, AT&T will shut your phone off after 8000 minutes on the phone with Dell Won't Support what they built/ sold you.

Fact: I am one of the guys that voted. Vista Premium CrapWare.

Fact: DreamLinux ROCKS !!

Steve

ABW Ambassador
    Vista eats DreamLinux for lunch
    "Fact. Vista crashed more times than Ray Charles driving drunk on a Harley."

What were you doing with it? Not a fact for me. Vista hasn't crashed on me once, neither did XP. If you're having those problems, that's something you're probably doing with it. Now Windows 98 did and I was partly to blame for that with all the garbage I had on it. BTW, I would have no problem linking to many DreamLinux problem threads. But you would still love it because it works for you, just like I will still love Vista
    Last edited by Trust; March 19th, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Outsourced Program Manager GregJr-CMC's Avatar
    Vista does have some issues, but I love it too. I've only had a few problems with Vista and it hasn't been enough of a problem to complain. There isn't going to be an OS that is perfect.
    [b]Greg Rice Jr.[/b]
    Affiliate Program Management
    [url="http://www.gocmc.com/"]www.gocmc.com[/url]
    info(@)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223 | AIM/Yahoo:[font=Verdana]GregJrCMC[/font] | MSN: [font=Verdana][email="GregJrCMC@live.com"]GregJrCMC@live.com[/email][/font] | ICQ: [font=Verdana]416241443[/font] |

Join us! - [url="http://www.gocmc.com/freelance-work-exchange-affiliate-program.php"]GoFreelance[/url] | [url="http://www.gocmc.com/magsforless_surplusmags.php"]SurplusMags / MagsForLess[/url] | [url="http://www.gocmc.com/print-country-affiliate-program.php"]PrintCountry[/url] | [url="http://www.gocmc.com/nannies4hire-affiliate-program.php"]Nannies4hire / Babysitters4hire[/url] | [size=2][url="http://www.gocmc.com/discount-candle-cheese-supply-affiliate-program.php"]DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply[/url][/size][size=1][size=2] [/size][/size]

ABW Ambassador
    I'll stay with XP because it's tried and true and has worked for years, but from what I've been reading a lot of the Vista problems are happening to people who don't have a LOAD of RAM to support its extra load.

For those who are using it without problems or issues, how much RAM do you have? 512? 1G? 2G?

Dreamweaver and Photoshop, for starters.

ABW Ambassador
    I have 2 G. 1.5-2G was the usual recommendation for Vista and when I was going thru the Dell configuration, I picked the 2G and my computer is super fast.

No Longer Banned!
    Vista Has Bombed.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "Fact. Vista crashed more times than Ray Charles driving drunk on a Harley."

What were you doing with it? Not a fact for me. Vista hasn't crashed on me once, neither did XP. If you're having those problems, that's something you're probably doing with it. Now Windows 98 did and I was partly to blame for that with all the garbage I had on it. BTW, I would have no problem linking to many DreamLinux problem threads. But you would still love it because it works for you, just like I will still love Vista
    Trust

When you finally do decide to get around to doing that I will be the guy that has had the most problems w/ DreamLinux. ~ I did not partition my HDD correctly. Once I did that, no problems at all ands the Epron servers haven't worked right in four months. Yay !

I lost 98 GB, 103,000 sound tracks, 1,100 jpgs. ~ I'm an affiliate marketer right ? and 55 reinstalls cuz Dell could not fix it.

After Dell replaced my BTX Mobo and a memory module {All under warranty} and me adding 3GB memory {Now 4 GB total} and several BIOS tweaks adding multiple HDD's and a half dozen other tweaks/ back ups, I will never will use Vista for anything beyond surfing the net now and printing.

XP worked great but I refuse to pay 59 USD for MS XP after the stuff I went through w/ Vista CrapWare.

DreamLinux I am happy to say works perfect since I repartitioned the HDD and set the repo's up the way I wanted. No issues at all. D E don't work on my box yet though.

BTW: This was never meant to be a show down yo. Not at all. Sorry about that.

But since it was brought up, maybe I should start a blog and monetise it ?

With Vista I originally had 46 icons on the DeskTop. With DreamLinux I have over 200. Vista is far too unstable for this sort of thing.

Some day Vista will be as good as XP or DreamLinux 2.2. Someday. Of course by then there will be Windows 7 and DreamLinux will be up to 5.0...

I am glad to know you are having some luck w/ Vista. At least you are the few. and the lucky.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; March 20th, 2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Spelling/ Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    I'll stay with XP because it's tried and true and has worked for years, but from what I've been reading a lot of the Vista problems are happening to people who don't have a LOAD of RAM to support its extra load.

For those who are using it without problems or issues, how much RAM do you have? 512? 1G? 2G?

Dreamweaver and Photoshop, for starters.
    Hi Marcia

I have HP computer with 2G of ram.

Another program you can't run is FrontPage.

ABW Ambassador
    >>adding 3G memory {Now 4 GB total}

Hold the phone, Steve! Thank you for the memory figures - which I have no way to implement.

>>and several BIOS tweaks adding multiple HDD's and a half dozen other tweaks/ back ups

Some folks (such as idiots like me) would have to pay hundreds (if not thousands) to get that done, just for the labor alone.

I will never will use Vista for anything beyond surfing the net now and printing.
    Being an admitted idiot, I'll never use anything that's so complicated that I have to hire an IT professional for $1K or more to come in and do upgrades, or add a couple of gig of memory just to run some bells and whistles that have never been needed before, or even heard of.

I have HP computer with 2G of ram.

Another program you can't run is FrontPage.
    Thanks to you too, BB.

Some folks just buy a stock computer with 512 they get a good deal on (or maybe 1G ram if they happen to get lucky), and have no options without buying "parts" and hiring help to install it for them. So how much does that cost on top of the memory-hogging OS? And what happens to the warranty when opening the box and making modifications?
    Last edited by webworker; March 20th, 2008 at 09:06 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    ">>and several BIOS tweaks adding multiple HDD's and a half dozen other tweaks/ back ups

Some folks (such as idiots like me) would have to pay hundreds (if not thousands) to get that done, just for the labor alone.

Being an admitted idiot, I'll never use anything that's so complicated that I have to hire an IT professional for $1K or more to come in and do upgrades, or add a couple of gig of memory just to run some bells and whistles that have never been needed before, or even heard of."

I don't even know what that is all about. I got my Dell from the UPS guy, plugged it in. That's about it. 2GB memory is plenty.

I guess it would different if you buy the computer new with Vista already installed compared to upgrading XP to Vista on a computer. I'm no expert but that's where a lot of the problems seem to come in, same with other OS's. Or trying to put Vista on an older computer or something like that.
    Last edited by Trust; March 20th, 2008 at 09:24 AM.

I like XP, tried Vista for a little bit, felt awkward navigating. XP has been stable for me, I'll stick to what works. Maybe one day I'll explore Linux... I would need Dreamweaver & Photoshop, Marcia mentioned these are not available for Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Thanks to you too, BB.

Some folks just buy a stock computer with 512 they get a good deal on (or maybe 1G ram if they happen to get lucky), and have no options without buying "parts" and hiring help to install it for them. So how much does that cost on top of the memory-hogging OS? And what happens to the warranty when opening the box and making modifications?
    My computer came with 2G of ram when I bought it.

Most computers have extra ram slots in them from the manufacturer. You can buy extra ram cards from just about anywhere that sells computers.

Office Depot here in town has them and you can take your computer to them and they open the case and put it in for you just for the price of the ram card.

It's not hard to do. The card just plugs into the extra ram slot and when you turn your computer on after you install the new ram card you computer will recognize the new ram automatically.

Most people just do it themselves. If you have a techie friend they could do it for you for just the price of the card and ram isn't very expensive.

We have a college here in town. When I first started I would go to the computer science department at the college and catch some students getting out of class and ask them questions and for help.

They were excited to offer free help just so they could let you see how smart they were.

I don't know for sure, but I don't see how it could hurt your warrenty. The extra ram slots are already there when you buy the computer. They were put there to use. The manufacturer just didn't put a card in them so they could sell the computer cheaper because most people just serf the web and don't need a lot of ram like affiliates do.

ABW Ambassador
    It's not hard to do. The card just plugs into the extra ram slot and when you turn your computer on after you install the new ram card you computer will recognize the new ram automatically.
    But does the computer know the difference between that new ram card and a graphics card? I hope so, because I sure don't.

Felit0 - I don't believe they have dreamweaver or photoshop - buy they have similar open source programs. (kompozer and nvu i think). The only reason I know that is because I use some portable memory stick apps on my pc and those came with it. [portableapps.com - great set of tools]

I also have 2gb of ram on my Vista setup - which runs fine. But when I have some memory intensive programs running - plugging in a high speed 4gb memory stick into the USB port and using it as a virtual memory drive - helps things out.

I'll stick with vista.

ABW Ambassador
    >when I have some memory intensive programs running - plugging in a high speed 4gb memory stick into the USB port and using it as a virtual memory drive - helps things out.

I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do that (or what it even is). I also don't have the slightest idea how to add memory sticks into slots, even if knew what slots were and how to find the right ones to stick the sticks into.

ABW Ambassador
    WTF are sticks and slots? And how can you tell one from the other, once you find out?

Quote Originally Posted by felit0
    I like XP, tried Vista for a little bit, felt awkward navigating. XP has been stable for me, I'll stick to what works. Maybe one day I'll explore Linux... I would need Dreamweaver & Photoshop, Marcia mentioned these are not available for Linux?
    There are opensource applications which can be used as a replacement for Dreamweaver and Photoshop. (Bluefish & Gimp)

I use Dreamweaver and Photoshop when using XP. I'll be the first to admit there is a learning curver but the concepts are the same. I switch back and forth between XP and Ubuntu Linux for various reasons. One of the best features in linux that is not in XP or vista is installing software.

With linux you can search for and install Open Source software with out ever having to use a CD or Reboot the computer. Best part about Windows based Operating systems is the amount of available software.

Each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses. It never hurts to something new.

PS I like macs too
    Thanks,
    Doug

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast