New and could use some help
    I just decided to start doing affiliate marketing on the internet, but im a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I understand most of the basics of online business; however, the problem I am having is where to start. I'm not sure what products I should promote, and exaclty how to draw traffic to them. There just seems to be so many products and even more people trying to advertise them.

So I guess my question is, how do I decided what products I should use, and how should I go aboud generating leads with such heavy competition.

Any advice would be helpfull, thanks.

Hi Moneycrazed,

That's literally the $64,000 question, isn't it? (or hopefully some other large dollar amount!)

I've been doing the website thing for about 12 years now, and I think my first affiliate link went up in 1999. Even so, I don't consider myself to be an affiliate marketing guru..

..however, I think fundamentally it boils down to having a USP.. a Unique Selling Proposition. In order to make money, you must offer something that no-one else has, or that you can persuade *visitors* that no-one else has.

Sometimes your USP can be a technological one - your site offers something whizzy and impressive coded by someone who actually understands things like SQL and programming languages.

Or, you could use the knowledge inside your head to give a different slant on an existing market. If you're really interested or knowledgeable in a particular field, then you can use that to deliver real insight on products or a market segment. If you don't have the insight, then pick an interesting field and learn about it.

Look at affiliate marketing from the visitor's perspective - the only point to going through an affiliate site is if you add some value. Perhaps you can do a price or feature comparison, perhaps you are particularly knowledgeable about the products or perhaps your superior SEO skills mean that you are always easy to find in Google. Or perhaps you have so many sites that you are hard to avoid.

Of course, having a great site is no good unless you can get traffic. And getting traffic is getting harder all the time.. there are 1001 one ways that you can promote your site, so the absolute best advice is to real ABW and other forums very carefully.

Affiliate marketing can be slow to start with, and many/most sites never make it to the big time. Be patient, keep trying different things and have some faith!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

No Longer Banned!
    Newb: Where Do I Start ?.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneycrazed
    I just decided to start doing affiliate marketing on the internet, but im a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I understand most of the basics of online business; however, the problem I am having is where to start. I'm not sure what products I should promote, and exaclty how to draw traffic to them. There just seems to be so many products and even more people trying to advertise them.

So I guess my question is, how do I decided what products I should use, and how should I go aboud generating leads with such heavy competition.

Any advice would be helpfull, thanks.
    MC

Sup there big daddy !

Besides things that are either immoral, nasty, or illegal ~ What are yo passionate about. What one thing can you talk about for hours and hours on end ? Like that.

This is what you promote.

Google is your friend. Both for info and for an income. How well you do with things such as google Search Engines and SEO will ultimately determain the size of your check. Remember that getting paid means you gotta actually do the work at it. This is real and this is real work padre.

The very first step is for you to read all of donuts and Alan hamiltons posts and be sure you scope all of Lost Deviants posts too. That boy can dance yo. After you collapse from exhaustion, read all of geno proscovs posts then scope the popshops forum.

Stay away from crap like the fun posts as they simply drain your time and won't make you a dime.

Read all you can about SEO and be sure to read the stuff about effective advertising at the very front of this Forum.

That will keep you busy 18 hours a day for four months.

Keep me posted.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

If you went to school, what is your degree in?
    What are your talents, hobbies, interests, skills and passions?
    What products, services or niches would you really like to learn more about?
    What do you spend all your free time doing?
    After you answer those questions, then get started on choosing one or more of these areas to find related affiliate programs to promote.

Edited to add: I think it's best to promote products/ services that you know about and that you can write about with expertise.

Thanks for everyones advice.

As for what I am interested in I wanted to do some sort of Poker related website, I play a lot of poker on and offline and am getting pretty good at it, and the poker affiliate programs offer some unique benefits as you actually get a % of the total money the site makes off a player under you which can be a lot somtimes.

I also am debating starting a learning and memory improvment site, since im pretty interested in that, there is just not many products to sell in that particular market.

Is amazon a good source for affiliate income? It would seem to me that most people would just search amazon themselves rather than fallowing your link.

Let me know what yall think, thanks...

As for what I am interested in I wanted to do some sort of Poker related website, I play a lot of poker on and offline and am getting pretty good at it, and the poker affiliate programs offer some unique benefits as you actually get a % of the total money the site makes off a player under you which can be a lot somtimes.
    Moneycrazed, be careful here. I'm assuming that you are a U.S. affiliate and if so there are restrictions in place that can make this difficult or even illegal under certain circumstances. You may also have a hard time finding programs that will accept U.S. affiliates. If you are not in the U.S. then check the laws of your jurisdiction to make sure that there are no restrictions or limitations before you invest in this area.

I also am debating starting a learning and memory improvment site, since im pretty interested in that, there is just not many products to sell in that particular market.
    If you can determine the demand and who your target customer would be, this could be a great niche market without a lot of competition.

You're on the right track with a couple of ideas that could get you started. Do a little more brainstorming and try to visualize (or better yet, do a mock up) that promotes either of these ideas. What could you bring to the table that adds value for your potential visitor/customer? What can you provide different or better than everyone else? When you can answer these two questions you have a starting point.

Good luck.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar

Is amazon a good source for affiliate income? It would seem to me that most people would just search amazon themselves rather than fallowing your link.

Let me know what yall think, thanks...
    For some people yes, for others no.

Search for the magic bullet thread and read it. In fact, I'll summarize it.

There is no magic bullet. There is no "best product". There is no "best niche". There is no "best affiliate program". You have to try things yourself and see what works. Experiment, experiment, experiment. Read a lot, think about what you've read even more.

Since I'm feeling nice I'll add this.

If I am reading an article about shoes, no I am not going to go to Amazon directly and search for shoes. However if the person is talking about shoes and slips in an Amazon link I might be inclined to click on it and buy.

Think like a consumer, not like a web geek.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Think like a consumer, not like a web geek.
    Great advice, but not as easy as it sounds sometimes. Don't always assume that you're being objective. This is where you're non-affiliate friends and family can be useful.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Everyones advice has been very helpfull so far.

I have decided to do the Learning and memory website, mainly because there is basically no competition and no leading website. I plan on bringing a lot of scientific and pyschological research on the subject, and also some more philosofical outputs. I also figured I go use things such as test taking and study tips for high school and college students.

As for products, there is obviously a lot of books I could promote with amazon, and I could also promote products like specific vitamins, and learning products such as: speed reading, roseta stone (Language learning) and games like brain age ECT.

I imgagine I could generate a decent amount of traffic through blogging since my blogs will be pretty unique, and I ran some searches on phrases like "Memory enhancment" "learning strategies" ECT and most sites had very low page ranks, some as low as 1 at the top.

As for the poker affiliate, I would still like to do that at some point, I am in the U.S but from all the reasearch I have done, there is nothing illegal about being a poker affiliate as long as I am not personally taking bets on my website, but with how much competition I would have to endure, this might not be a good place to start.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Here's another tip. When you find what you think is a good niche just go for it. Don't share it or you might find 100 copies of what you are doing. That's sad but that's why people here rarely share their niches or sites.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Here's another tip. When you find what you think is a good niche just go for it. Don't share it or you might find 100 copies of what you are doing. That's sad but that's why people here rarely share their niches or sites.
    I think this is wise advice.

Also, keep in mind that amazon is not the only media site with an affiliate program. You might find others that would work with your idea(s) too.

Best of luck with your site!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Everyones advice has been very helpfull so far.

I have decided to do the Learning and memory website, mainly because there is basically no competition and no leading website. I plan on bringing a lot of scientific and pyschological research on the subject, and also some more philosofical outputs. I also figured I go use things such as test taking and study tips for high school and college students.

As for products, there is obviously a lot of books I could promote with amazon, and I could also promote products like specific vitamins, and learning products such as: speed reading, roseta stone (Language learning) and games like brain age ECT.

I imgagine I could generate a decent amount of traffic through blogging since my blogs will be pretty unique, and I ran some searches on phrases like "Memory enhancment" "learning strategies" ECT and most sites had very low page ranks, some as low as 1 at the top.

As for the poker affiliate, I would still like to do that at some point, I am in the U.S but from all the reasearch I have done, there is nothing illegal about being a poker affiliate as long as I am not personally taking bets on my website, but with how much competition I would have to endure, this might not be a good place to start.
    Another tip: Make sure you have someone proof read your text. If you put up a web page with as many spelling and grammatical errors as you have in the quoted post, that will be a strong sign to potential customers that your site is done by an amateur and may not be trustworthy.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread