Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    uTango
    Just came across uTango and searched here for info on this company and its unbelievable claims but did not see anything.

Anyone know anything about them?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Yeah, they are local to the Seattle area out of Mercer Island.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Legit or parasite? They make UNBELIEVABLE claims on their site. Good looking site and have associated themselves with some pretty well known folks.

since i have never seen them oprate with in a program i don't know. Nor have I heard anything about their rep other than they can't keep people, lol.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

I'm getting so tired of seeing the same merchant names...

I had a friend who was invited to work for a Canadian-based online points company. He didn't accept the job as during the interview process, the candidates were asked to submit/present their marketing ideas.. how they would create "a buzz" about a website. As part of the interview.

.. is it just me, or this idea WAY past its prime?? There is absolutely nothing that differentiates any of these programs from each other.

uTANGO
    This is my first post at ABW. Since I actually work for uTANGO, I'd like to answer your questions.

Question #1: Is this a legit site or parasite?
    Answer: Unlike some other loyalty/cash-back sites, we do not use ANY software, spyware, or reminder programs to redirect our members to uTANGO. So uTANGO is not a parasite affiliate. You can check on us with AffiliateFairPlay or any of the other watchdogs that monitor the affiliate industry.

Question #2: How does this work?
    Answer: uTANGO receives a commission from its 300+ merchant partners when a sale is made through the uTANGO Online Mall. When a sale is made through the uTANGO Visa Card, uTANGO receives a percentage of the exchange fee from the credit card company. (This is similar to how your airline frequent flier credit cards work.)

uTANGO awards points to its members when they make a purchase through the online mall or by using their uTANGO Visa card. The points are funded out of the commission uTANGO receives from its merchants and out of the credit card exchange fee.

Members who hit their defined spending goals earn annual cash rewards and are eligible to earn what uTANGO calls "LifeStage cash rewards" at 10, 20 and 30 years of program participation. For full program rules, visit the uTANGO website.

uTANGO's board of directors includes the former CFO of uPromise as well as the founder of MyPoints.com. Employees include former senior managers from Amazon, Expedia and other reputable Seattle-area tech companies.

I'd be happy to answer any other specific questions you have about the program. Or you could email us at membercare@utango.com

"Members can earn Annual Cash Rewards up to $800 a year and extraordinary LifeStage Cash Rewards up to $10,000 at 10 years, $100,000 at 20 years and $1 Million at 30 years in return for your long-term loyalty."

I just have a hard time with anyone who claims a shopper will accumulate $1,000,000 in cash by shopping with you for 30 years.

Without accruing interest that would be more than $30,000 annually. Assuming the average cash back from your typical merchant at 10% (aggressively) or less then this shopper would need to spend $300,000 shopping with you ANNUALLY.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by DouTANGO
    uTANGO's board of directors includes the former CFO of uPromise as well as the founder of MyPoints.com.
    There really should be a guide on ABW on how to not self incriminate, lol
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

uTANGO's business model is patent-pending. The reason uTANGO can afford to pay such large rewards is that not every member will earn the LifeStage rewards. In order to earn the rewards, the member must meet defined spending goals and program requirements. The model is based on actuarial concepts.

You are correct in your assumption that the commission funds would be invested. The uTANGO Rewards Fund is managed by AllianceBernstein Investments.

Why don't you say that on your website then? You're not trying to deceive anyone, now are you?

I cannot believe how many people I know are involved in rewards type sites like this.....
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

I stand by my original comment.. this is getting tired. It's the same business model run by the same few people... and I see the same merchants.

Interestingly, I'm less worried now that I'm seeing more of these pop up. A few of my best merchants don't allow incentive programs and I will continue to promote the heck out of their products...

As a sidebar, I once had a points company contact me to suggest MY readers may be interested in their program. Umm, no thanks...

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread