Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    DHL may be going
    My FedEx rep said that all DHL sales reps were laid off.

If you're using them you may want to talk to UPS or FedEx soon

I found this;
    Analysts expect money-losing DHL will scale back in the United States

If DHL closes terminals and hubs, analysts say FedEx could get 35 percent of the lost business in the air and another 25 percent on the ground.

If the restructuring costs DHL 2 percent of revenue, FedEx stands to gain $45 million in business, according to a research note published Wednesday by Edward Wolfe. UPS, which has a more powerful ground network, stands to realize $71 million.

. Today the company may announce it is scaling back its U.S. operations by closing hubs and terminals, which would give a boost to FedEx and UPS.

DHL, a subsidiary of Deutsche Post World Net, is the fourth-largest player in the U.S. overnight package business, with revenues in the Americas for 2008 estimated at $2.3 billion.

With 9 percent market share, DHL trails the U.S. Postal Service, (32 percent) FedEx (31 percent) and UPS (25 percent).

Analysts estimate DHL has lost $2.8 billion in North America, including a recent $748 million write-down in the United States alone, where it has also announced 600 layoffs.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Seems to be some interesting discussion here:

http://www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/DHL/...7b4b04?myst=50

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    If DHL closes terminals and hubs, analysts say FedEx could get 35 percent of the lost business in the air and another 25 percent on the ground.
    That would be great for our region, as FedEx Ground has their headquarters just up the road from me.

-sfcom

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Larry Hillblom is spinning in his watery grave.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Oh Sh**... I'd been reading that DHL's US operations were in the red, but I didn't think they'd do anything drastic yet!

UPS can't come close to DHL's prices for small-scale shipping, at least judging by their site's quotes.

I use the Post Office a lot already, but DHL's been good for the really long-distance orders.

I hope your source is wrong! And the analysts, too--the last thing DHL needs to do is close hubs and therefore introduce screwups by overworking a skeleton crew.

DHL would do well to hire some people who actually know how to route packages...I can guess where their profit is going (I've seen packages end up on inexplicable "scenic tours" quite a few times)...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I was told we never really considered using them because of their large gaps in delivery areas. Guess we weren't alone
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I never liked DHL. I had first hand experience how they handled or mis-handled fraudulent accounts that get opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    I was told we never really considered using them because of their large gaps in delivery areas. Guess we weren't alone
    Gaps? I haven't seen any gaps in delivery areas (gaps meaning areas that aren't serviced at all)--their site always accepts whatever location I put in. I only use them for the Continental US, and only certain areas of it, but that's because of their rates. The destination has to be pretty far away before the Post Office stops being the best option.

Interesting. I either misunderstood what was told to me, or they were indicating a specific service levels in certain areas. The person I had the conversation with is out of town right now, so I'll have to get a clarification next week.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Interesting. I either misunderstood what was told to me, or they were indicating a specific service levels in certain areas. The person I had the conversation with is out of town right now, so I'll have to get a clarification next week.
    You are right, Noth. Many times when I ship something with them, they have a box pop up stating something like "This delivery address is in a remote location. Delays may occur. Proceed?" Sometimes this can be a only a few miles outside of a major city/MSA.

This never stopped me from confirming the shipment though, because their prices are so low. Recently while using my account (good negotiated rates) I was able to ship a 33 lb medium sized package from here to NYC for $12 (Ground). That is untouchable by the other big shippers. Guess I had better start finding out what the others can work out for me just in case the whole USA division decides to call it quits.

-sfcom

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I use the Post Office a lot already, but DHL's been good for the really long-distance orders.

I hope your source is wrong! And the analysts, too--the last thing DHL needs to do is close hubs and therefore introduce screwups by overworking a skeleton crew.

DHL would do well to hire some people who actually know how to route packages...I can guess where their profit is going (I've seen packages end up on inexplicable "scenic tours" quite a few times)...
    Leader, if you ship a lot, try getting a Fedex or UPS acct. They often give you anywhere from 2-12% off the domestic published rate based on the volume. They offer PC, printer, scanner etc for u to use.

As for DHL, they have been pulling back on a lot of things since last year. They close their data center or have a bare bone crew in their US operations over in AZ. I know somebody who is working for them and HP just bought over their IT operations and DHL is contracting with HP following that.

why is DHL in the red?

I have personally told companies like AMD, HP and Microsoft not to use them to ship to me.

Thats why lol

DHL was the worst, they would leave packages anywhere and everywhere.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Leader, if you ship a lot, try getting a Fedex or UPS acct. They often give you anywhere from 2-12% off the domestic published rate based on the volume.
    I've seen from my wholesalers that there are significant volume discounts (the ones who do a lot of shipping gets dirt cheap rates, while the one that doesn't [local pickups are their norm] pays a lot more). The thing is, I don't need to ship using a non-USPS service all that often--even with discounts, the other carriers can't touch the Post Office for light packages, and only a few of my shipments are heavy. So I don't qualify for the big discounts at UPS, and probably won't for quite some time. DHL, on the other hand, gave me a good discount just for signing up an online account.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Many times when I ship something with them, they have a box pop up stating something like "This delivery address is in a remote location. Delays may occur. Proceed?" Sometimes this can be a only a few miles outside of a major city/MSA.
    Oh that--I call that the "out-in-the-hick fee notice." I've seen it too. But I never considered it a "gap" in service areas, since they actually DO deliver there. The only real difference I've noticed is them sticking an extra fee on it. It does irk me when they say that for the areas that are really close to a city!

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I have personally told companies like AMD, HP and Microsoft not to use them to ship to me.
    I've had a couple of customers request that I mail stuff (USPS) instead. But when I'm on the receiving end, I've sometimes been just as mad at UPS and FedEx as you've been with DHL, so I hesitate to assume that the others would be better. I've had to chase the UPS truck in my car when their n00b driver didn't stop! Fortunately, they've since hired a better one--but it let me know that UPS isn't always idiot-free. Plus, UPS knocks and wakes me up despite being told not to, while DHL has never woken me up. So needless to say, I'd rather get my deliveries via DHL!

But--are you in Washington state/Seattle Hub "service" area by any chance? DHL does have some super-idiots there...it's the only place I won't use them to ship to, even though WA is one of the farthest states from me.

DHL is an intergrated Carrier
    Yes DHL is losing money in the USA lanes. Yes the current management wants to dump USA market.....but UPS and Fedex picking up the slack spells almost monopoly. If you think the rates for these carriers is expensive now wait to see what happens if DHL pulls out. This is definitely not good for anyone.

DHL isn't a bargin, I find Fedex and UPS to be cheaper on some things and more reliable.

I hate DHL with a passion, today some dumb ass DHL delivery guy left my package in the elevator of my building.

I mean WTF?

I have been mad at UPS and FedEx infact I got a UPS guy fired and a FedEx guy suspended, but DHL simply doesn't care.

I really don't think the "competition" DHL provides in the US does anything to keep prices down. They really aren't even a factor. I've placed hundreds of orders online, and I think I've only had one that was shipped via DHL. All of the others were UPS, USPS, and FedEx.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Sounds like time to buy Fedex stock. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread