Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Here is MY Content For All Affiliates to USE!
    This is the first scenario that I have ever encountered like this in my many years as an affiliate.

I create a site and although there is not much content there, much of it WAS original (the rest I was publicly given permission by the merchant to use.) I thought my little site would climb in the rankings slowly but surely. That was until the merchant posts (scrapes, copies..etc.) what my original content was to their main affiliate page and posts it for other affiliate's use.

Won't this be fun...affiliate's everywhere copying my original content from the merchants affiliate help page. Yippee! The value of my newly created site just went to ZERO! (Boy am I glad I didn't link this to my $$$ making aff sites.)

Now, because the merchant didn't contact me to ask if they could do this...that has caused me to make this post in the defense of myself and other affiliates. Because I am involved with only a couple of Shareasale programs, I will let the people there figure out which one I am talking about.

So, my question is: What in the world made you think that my content was your content? (Yeah, it is not 100 pages worth...but still.) If you wish to hire me as a copywriter for your site, it is going to cost you a bit more than "FREE."

And, yes I do have proof that I created this content. Just waiting for a possible answer to my question here first.

-sfcom

http and a telephoto
    A lot of merchants that are new or clueless think they are doing an affiliate a favor by giving them a backlink. Or that showing some affiliate sites to other affiliates will give them "ideas" on how to promote their product. They totally don't understand the "don't show your affiliate's site to other affiliates".

I am certainly not defending what they did, but telling you one of the most frequent things I need to tell my merchants and any merchant that calls for a consultation is that they cannot show affs sites to each other.

One of my merchants even had a new affiliate ask for her site to be backlinked from the merchant this week, and I had to explain to both the merchant and the affiliate that it's the affiliate's task to send traffic to the merchant, not the other way around

edited to add: I just re-read your post and did they link to you or actually post content you wrote to their site? That is an obvious breach of copyright and should be dealt with appropriately and quickly. I would contact SAS support to see if they can help with contacting the merchant.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I appreciate the reply, Loxly but in this case, there is no backlink. Only my original words, verbatim on their site.

-sfcom

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    I appreciate the reply, Loxly but in this case, there is no backlink. Only my original words, verbatim on their site.

-sfcom
    Was editing my post as you posted.... see above That is absolutely not a mistake and you can DMCA them.
    Deborah Carney

SFCOM - - --

I see I DID raise your blood pressure.......

Go Get Em!!!!!!!!!

Just an FYI...I have already created a .pdf of the site page in question...so don't go erasing it. I want an explanation.

-sfcom

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I hope you eventually tell who it is so I can add them to my do not promote list. Ick, what if it's one I already promote.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I think it's despicable and you absolutely need to name the merchant. This needs to be publicized so their affiliates are aware of it and so that other merchants will see the final result of such actions.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Send him a big fat bill for the content.

I've seen it, sfcom has much more than a point, it's actually a (C) infringement claim.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

If affs visit the "affiliate help" section of the merchant in question and decide to do a cut and paste, how does that even help raise the online valuation of the merchant as a whole? Diluted duplicate content everywhere. Doesn't work out good for the merchant or the affiliates involved.

-sfcom

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I am not sure why you are not identifying the merchant.

I think one of the main benefits of this forum for the more experienced folks is for each of us to help police both sides of our affiliate relationships and then report bad experiences so others don't have to have the same bad experience.

It seems we are fast to name affiliates gone awry but fairly reluctant to name merchants. Why is that?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

There is the off chance that this merchant will correct this situation and compensate sfcom for this,I think before he publicly blasts them, give them 24 hours to correct their HUGE infringement

I'm sure he will (actually I asked him to) but out of respect I think he's contacting the OPM first.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    There is the off chance that this merchant will correct this situation and compensate sfcom for this,I think before he publicly blasts them, give them 24 hours to correct their HUGE infringement
    As a writer I believe they should be publicly blasted. I'm sure a lot of people learned in at least middle school that plagiarism is wrong.

In fact, we shouldn't be having this discussion because the merchant should know better than that.

Edited to add that I only feel that way because it's already been publicly posted.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    Quite often merchants don't write the content. They hire specialized companies to do it (too often located abroad) Maybe, a lazy writer sold sfcom content to the merchant. I agree with Rolet. To give 24 hours for the merchant to correct the situation is fair.

I have had a change of heart - I think you should Post publicly which program this is

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I'm sure he will (actually I asked him to) but out of respect I think he's contacting the OPM first.
    I agree with this. I was in a similiar situation, contacted the OPM (If I'm thinking this is the right term lol), and he didn't realize the person the company hired actually just did a copy and paste job (for the affiliate content). He got it fixed, and so I'd call it just an honest mistake by someone who was clueless (person the company hired).

I don't know the exact details in this situation though. So if it's worse or different, then different action might be needed.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I can top your experience... sort of... a company that makes website templates ripped off my whole site and contacted all the merchants in this niche to offer "their" template to all their affiliates... several merchants partnered with them (but not my merchant). Literally brought tears to my eyes. It was years ago, and I've learned that lazy people eventually do get punished for lacking their own creativity, will power and effort. So don't let this episode get to you, in time, the people who create original content always win, but to do that, you've got to keep doing what you were doing. Keep at it!

http and a telephoto
    I think I figured it out, but am not sure so not going to post who, but SHAME on BOTH the OPM and MERCHANT and please don't try and say "We didn't know" or point fingers at each other... we won't buy it.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Ouch, that had to suck, donuts.
    I've learned that lazy people eventually do get punished for lacking their own creativity, will power and effort.
    Just a thought on the winning and punishment. If the merchant does have someone copy and paste orginal content, would it actually be beneficial to not point this out to the merchant? Since you first created the content, google should punish their website. Which means, you could throw together an optimized website promoting the merchant's name to try and beat them in the rankings? So any advertising they do, should drive traffic to your site, right?

Although that feels dirty and wrong, if it worked, lol.

I think I just figured it out. OH NO. Tell me it isn't so. I won't jump to conclusions just yet but I hope I'm wrong.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I'm really interested in who this is... just seems so WRONG of that merchant. At least I know it wasn't us

ABW Ambassador
    Have no idea but I'm going to bed so if it gets posted and deleted, someone PM who it is.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    Just a thought on the winning and punishment. If the merchant does have someone copy and paste orginal content, would it actually be beneficial to not point this out to the merchant? Since you first created the content, google should punish their website. Which means, you could throw together an optimized website promoting the merchant's name to try and beat them in the rankings? So any advertising they do, should drive traffic to your site, right?

Although that feels dirty and wrong, if it worked, lol.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, imo. I would drop the merchant, and promote their competition. People need to learn, or be reminded, that copyright infringement is taken seriously and will not be tolerated. Either with images or with text.

And OPMs and Merchants need to learn that screwing around with proprietary information is going to be punished, severely.

These are people that should know better. And others need to be paying close attention.
    Deborah Carney

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast