Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    ROI for Datafeeds
    Hello fellow AMs!

We're considering putting together a datafeed of our products but we're concerned about the ROI. We don't have a lot of IT resources to spare for this.

Can some of you share your experiences with offering datafeeds and the ROI - worth it? Break even? I'd love to hear some stories to help us decide whether or not it's worth it to beg our IT department for one

Thanks!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    As an affiliate, I can tell you that without a data feed, sales are not as high and I might not even promote your products without one.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Do you use the datafeed for your own benefit to see the good deals and promote accordingly or do you actually run the feed to your site?

Maybe if I understand just how they're really utilized it will help figure out the ROI.

Wink
    A lot of the more experienced affiliates - including me - run the merchant's entire datafeed on out site(s).

With the right script I can put all the products of a merchant with 5,000 products on my site in 15 minutes using their datafeed.

Doing it by hand would take 15 weeks using copy and paste for each item to get them on my site..

Why would I use a merchant without a feed when I can use one with a feed.

Some of use have hundreds of merchants on our sites and there are only so many hours in a day.

Naturally, the merchants that make our job easier for us get on our sites.

The other merchants don't.

Does this help you understand?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    Do you use the datafeed for your own benefit to see the good deals and promote accordingly or do you actually run the feed to your site?

Maybe if I understand just how they're really utilized it will help figure out the ROI.
    Both. Viewing the datafeed give me a good idea of the scope of a merchant's offerings.

But, mostly I use the datafeed to drive a dynamic site showing all of, or a category of, the products available from one or more merchants. This is usually done with a database w/tables hosted on my servers; or I might use the data/formatting output available through services such as GoldenCan or PopShops.

Datafeeds can also be used to drive the creation of custom widgets, such as the ones within the ShareASale interface that are created by AMs, OPMs and merchants. Having images and descriptions available for my readers works a lot better than just banner and link arrangements.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

It does a bit, thanks! I'm still interested in some AM perspective on the ROI internally... PM if you'd rather not share with the affiliates

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    It does a bit, thanks! I'm still interested in some AM perspective on the ROI internally... PM if you'd rather not share with the affiliates
    Just to let you know - you cannot send or read pm's here until you have 250 post here.

Shawn

Why don't you answer some of her questions for her?

You would have good answers for her.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Just to let you know - you cannot send or read pm's here until you have 250 post here.
    Ah... well that would present a problem then, wouldn't it? I'm working on it! Time to babble in off-topic area I guess

I can chime in as an AM with a datafeed for my program.

First and foremost, add one for your program. It really is that straightforward.

Regarding ROI, what kind of 'investment' do you think it takes to create a datafeed? If you have an 'IT department' it should take one person about an hour to write the script to generate it, probably less.

Being an entirely internet based company with 4 IT people, it's spread pretty thin... which is why even though it'll take a good person an hour to set up, they'll claim they need a week...

But thanks for the perspective - I'll probably look into seeing if I can do most the work myself since I'm pretty savvy.

Hi Ms. Lyn: Affiliates using datafeeds and web services are our most successful affiliates hands down. Banners are SO not happening and text links take way too long. If your IT people give you flack about building a feed, you need to pitch a fit. It is LITERALLY as easy as writing a simple SQL query and pumping it out via PHP. It took my guys about two hours.

Good to know... thanks!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread