Google’s new predestination
    Have you heard about this from Google:
    “Starting in April, display URLs for new ads will be required to match their destination / landing page URLs, without exception. Please adjust your URLs accordingly when creating new ads.”

Check your adword account.

ABW Ambassador
    Was just reading that:

https://adwords.google.com/support/b...91451&hl=en_US

So what exactly is changing? I've always done PPC to my site first (until recently, experimenting) so they always matched up. Is this more for direct to merchant type stuff?

click bank direct affiliates are going to lose lots of money !

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Was just reading that:

https://adwords.google.com/support/b...91451&hl=en_US

So what exactly is changing? I've always done PPC to my site first (until recently, experimenting) so they always matched up. Is this more for direct to merchant type stuff?
    You are lucky, I know people who make a living from direct linking.
    (I am not )

ABW Ambassador
    I just started trying that out with a few merchants last month. I think in some cases it might be better direct linking, in others, a landing page is probably better.

But from that, it looks like direct linking is still fine with the other affiliate networks, not sure how Clickbank is setup.

Click bank url format: affiliate_id.vendor_id.hop.clickbank.net and then redirect to the vendor/merchant website.

ABW Ambassador
    Google always supposed to have the correct Display URL matching the Destination URL .. What exactly is changing now is not clear - except they may want to enforce it better now???

ABW Ambassador
    So why wouldn't that still work?

For example, the following would be acceptable:

Display URL: www.google.com/adwords
    Destination URL: www.trackingurl.com/google123
    Landing page URL: www.google.com

in your example
    Display URL: vendor/merchant website.
    Destination URL: affiliate_id.vendor_id.hop.clickbank.net
    Landing page URL: vendor/merchant website.

So the display and landing page is the merchant site and the destination url would be the tracking link/affiliate link.

Some advertisers have reasonably legitimate reasons to use a different display URL domain than the actual landing page domain. Google had been lenient and not strictly enforcing the display URL policy because of this. But some advertisers have been abusing that leniency, resulting in pollution in the search ads. So beginning April 1, no more exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    So why wouldn't that still work?

For example, the following would be acceptable:

Display URL: www.google.com/adwords
    Destination URL: www.trackingurl.com/google123
    Landing page URL: www.google.com

in your example
    Display URL: vendor/merchant website.
    Destination URL: affiliate_id.vendor_id.hop.clickbank.net
    Landing page URL: vendor/merchant website.

So the display and landing page is the merchant site and the destination url would be the tracking link/affiliate link.
    My mistake.
    I interpreted it in a wrong way.

Do you think that this will come also ?

ABW Ambassador
    That is what I thought.

Virtually no change from previously stated policies .. except better enforcement of policy regardless of exceptions in the past.

Those who did not take advantage of allowed exceptions in the past, there is no CHANGE whatsoever IMO

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I think this will be a good thing - it'll just weed out some blackhat affiliates that are using some shady tactics. From what I understand they've improved the automation of the enforcement, which of course is always good and makes it easier to do.

If anything it should be a nice move for in-house SEM teams to not have to compete with shady PPC affiliates.

Yeah -- hopefully it is against those jokers who put in fake destination URLs to sneak by the double serving rule. I hope it isn't against DTM-ers, but time will tell. I also wonder if/how it will impact companies that send their traffic through a 3rd party media/analytics/etc. company before sending the traffic on to the site (this is essentially parallel to what happens w/DTM-ers). Should be an interesting April and beyond...!!

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf
    Yeah -- hopefully it is against those jokers who put in fake destination URLs to sneak by the double serving rule. I hope it isn't against DTM-ers, but time will tell.
    Yes, it's specifically against those "jokers". Legitimate DTMers should benefit from this, though it may result in increased competition and bidding wars if the jokers begin playing by the rules.

I also wonder if/how it will impact companies that send their traffic through a 3rd party media/analytics/etc. company before sending the traffic on to the site (this is essentially parallel to what happens w/DTM-ers).
    There should be no impact there. Google mentioned on their blog at http://adwords.blogspot.com/2008/02/...rl-policy.html :
    "We do understand that many advertisers utilize tracking URLs within the destination field of their ads. Therefore, if the URL of your landing page matches that of your display URL, your ads will be approved."

^^ I hope you're // we're right. Given the G recently starting zapping the quality score of those who use simple PPC landing pages (which I don't completely understand... but I'm not a landing page guy...) -and- hitting affiliate sites in natural SERPs (recall Jason C's presentation at ASW08), it would be quite a triple-whammy for Affiliate Marketers.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread