Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Thumbs up New Prussakov's Book - Online Shopping Through Consumers' Eyes
    Finally had a chance to read this book, great job.

If anyone hasn't bought one that is doing any kind of marketing online you need to get it!

Almost 3,000 people were surveyed.

Geno, a few that were dog eared by me were; 32, 63, 65 we just did that on our site a week ago, 92 shipping by weight preferred and 97.

Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

I totally agree. Awesome book! Incredible resource for getting into the mind of the consumer.

One thing to keep in mind, at least with some of the questions, is that it's basically just a poll of what people say they do. Sometimes, what people actually do and what they say or even think they do are very different. As a result, there were a few conclusions drawn that I think are totally wrong. For instance, 85% of people said that they turn on banner blocking features of their browsers. I bet that over 90% of average consumers couldn't even find a banner blocking feature in their browser.

This was pretty rare, though. Almost everything else is very insightful and (IMHO) accurate.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Can I buy it from Amazon, got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I totally agree. Awesome book! Incredible resource for getting into the mind of the consumer.

One thing to keep in mind, at least with some of the questions, is that it's basically just a poll of what people say they do. Sometimes, what people actually do and what they say or even think they do are very different. As a result, there were a few conclusions drawn that I think are totally wrong. For instance, 85% of people said that they turn on banner blocking features of their browsers. I bet that over 90% of average consumers couldn't even find a banner blocking feature in their browser.

This was pretty rare, though. Almost everything else is very insightful and (IMHO) accurate.
    Good points, Michael. Thanks for posting.

This sounds like a great book!

I totally agree. There were a few more technical questions that I wondered if there was a discrepancy between what people actually do and what they say they do. But regardless, there's plenty of great info there to experiment with in your own business. It's definitely a great addition to my business library.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I got my copy from Geno at Summit and actually read more than a few pages before I hit the sack each night. Great stuff - very enlightening.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Trust, thanks for the Amazon link.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Trust, thanks for the Amazon link.
    You will like the book - a very good read for anyone in this business. I skimmed the whole book on my flight home from Summit. Now I am going back through sections for a more careful read.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thank you for your comments and compliments, everyone.

@ Michael Coley: I will definitely dig into these questions further for the second edition. You've made some great points in our last discussion of this book, for which I am extremely grateful. I will definitely re-attend a few questions in the new edition (when this one sells out), and will dig deeper into a couple areas to clarify certain things.

Those of you subscribed to Webmaster Radio can find a copy of their interview with me on this book at the past Affiliate Summit in this section. On some reason, it has the name of my first book there (of which I have notified them), but the interview is really on the "Online Shopping Through Consumers' Eyes" one.

G.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Thank you for your comments and compliments, everyone.
    G.
    Where is my book?

I almost go postal yesterday, after two weeks thinking I would get mine by now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Where is my book?
    Sitting on my desk, waiting for me dig out your address. Could you please remind me what it is, Sal?

G.

I too am enjoying the book and am about 2/3 finished.
    For instance, 85% of people said that they turn on banner blocking features of their browsers. I bet that over 90% of average consumers couldn't even find a banner blocking feature in their browser.
    This one caught my attention also. I must fall into the 10% bunch cause I checked IE7 and FF2 and couldn't find a feature or add-on that would block banners by size. Someone might show me where to look.

Actually, that would put you in the "90%" (that I contend couldn't even find a banner blocking feature). I'm there, too. I could be wrong, but I don't think such a feature even exists in IE. There are add-on products that do it, but I don't think it's a stock feature. In all fairness, I believe that question actually said "browser or firewall", but I doubt that most consumers even know what a firewall is and I don't think most firewalls block banners, either.

I just want to say again... For most other questions in the book, though, I don't think this is an issue. This one (out of 107) in particular stood out to me, and a handful of others looked a little questionable, but the overwhelming majority are fine.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Sitting on my desk, waiting for me dig out your address. Could you please remind me what it is, Sal?

G.
    (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay ?

I just want to say again... For most other questions in the book, though, I don't think this is an issue. This one (out of 107) in particular stood out to me, and a handful of others looked a little questionable, but the overwhelming majority are fine.
    Agreed.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Finally had a chance to read this book, great job.

If anyone hasn't bought one that is doing any kind of marketing online you need to get it!

Almost 3,000 people were surveyed.

Geno, a few that were dog eared by me were; 32, 63, 65 we just did that on our site a week ago, 92 shipping by weight preferred and 97.

X factor 7 sreddep eel soggy team bufu dot dog meat????? What the????? LMSOAO and wondering what I just missed!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    X factor 7 sreddep eel soggy team bufu dot dog meat????? What the????? LMSOAO and wondering what I just missed!!
    I don't care who you are, that's damn funny!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

LMSOAO = laughing my skinny old ass off (new internet buzz lingo)

Geno, so you know, bought my copy this morning. Was in stock and ready to ship at Amazon. Thanks for offering to give me one for free at the Summit, but I really was trying hard to pack light, I only had one bag and it was stuffed already. Look forward to reading it.

Thank you, Donuts.

Would highly appreciate your feedback on the book once you've had a chance to read it.

G.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm about half way through the book and really some great info there. It's definitely making me take a look at my websites. Something's I'm doing right and finding a few I certainly need to work on.

Thanks Geno, it's a great read.

I am just curious as to the almost 3000 shoppers surveyed. Where did you find the shoppers to survey and are they a good sampling of internet shoppers or ate they just a specific target group.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    I am just curious as to the almost 3000 shoppers surveyed. Where did you find the shoppers to survey and are they a good sampling of internet shoppers or ate they just a specific target group.
    The sample was formed to represent a particular type/group of Internet shoppers, those that do not spend half of their life on the Internet. When I originally contacted them, I knew that they purchased online at least one time in the past. Here's more from pg 9-10 (where I talk about the research basis and methodology):

...other Internet marketing research companies – such as Nielsen//NetRatings, Harris Interactive, Arbitron and Edison Media Research, comScore Media Matrix and others – generally agree with the above-quoted figures, registering the gender distribution at 47-49.4% for men, and 50.6-53% for women.

When it comes to online shopping the 50-50 general split between men and women also remains. While men’s favored product/service categories slightly differ from women’s favorites, the court is still split roughly in half.

Bearing the above statistic in mind, in December 2007 we conducted three customer surveys (35-36 questions each), targeting 27,510 online users who had shopped online at least one time in the past. The spread was evenly balanced between the U.S. and Canada, and the 50-50 male-female split was also accounted for in conducting this research.

Invitation e-mails were sent on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, with one reminder e-mail sent a week after the initial invitation. Each e-mail invitation contained a short introductory text and a link to an online customer survey. E-mail recipients were encouraged to participate in the survey by ensuring the receipt of a substantial discount at an online shop from which they enjoyed purchasing in the past...
    In the process of researching I found out that only 13.16% of my sample spend less than $200 online, while 20.18% of the survey participants spend $201-500 online every year, 23.25% -- $501-$1,000, 16.67% -- $1,001-$2,000, 26.75%- over $2,000. Clearly, they do spend money online (making many more than one purchase in a given year). Yet, most of them -- probably do not shop online on a daily basis. If it is of interest to people, I can go back to the surveyed shoppers, and ask them how many times a week they shop, as well as try to obtain a spread of their shopping interests across different verticals.

G.

I got my book and read it at SES last week. Great Job!!!
    I was trying to tout it to all the attendees, but everyone was in such a rush.
    If you haven't gotten your copy yet, do it NOW! Great insight and very easy to read and digest.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast