Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    How Many Versions of Domain Do You Buy?
    How many versions of your domain do you usually buy? Normally I just buy the .com but with my newest one I decided to buy two .com's because it can be spelled two different ways.

I thought that put me ahead, but I just found out that everyone is saying the domain in its plural form. I had to scratch my head because it doesn't even make sense if it's plural but since this site is relying on word of mouth I had to go and by the two .com's in their plural form.

Now I'm thinking I should go and buy the .net and .org if they are still available even though I know that no one is going to go to .net or .org.

So if I do that, that will be 4 different domains x .net and .org which means *pardon me I suck at math* 8 domains for one site.

Am I going overboard or should I be thinking of even more versions to buy just in case?

I don't ever worry about it.

If the com is available I buy it - if not and net is - I buy net.

I don't buy both or any of the others.

It's never hurt me.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Regarding domain extensions, I asked the same question a while back, and the consensus was to stick with .com; there's no good reason to buy the others.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I have yet to buy anything but .com. None of what I've done is in danger of being threatened by someone picking up the .info version of it, for example. Besides, I'm a bit of a purist. A .com is a commercial site. A .org is a non-profit organization... I don't run non-profits, so I'm not going to snag a .org domain.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

If its something that Im very serious about and think I could really turn into a profitable business I buy every version.
    .com, .net, .org, and a hyphen in the name.
    I figure its worth the $50 to protect it and keep others away.

if you want SEO then you want .com.
    Its been my experience that Google loves .com, but isnt crazy about .net or .org. And Google hates .cc and .info.

But if you dont care about seo then grab anything.
    I know a very profitable site that is .org, but doesnt get ranked high in the serps much.

Quote Originally Posted by marc100
    I figure its worth the $50 to protect it and keep others away.

if you want SEO then you want .com.
    Its been my experience that Google loves .com, but isnt crazy about .net or .org. And Google hates .cc and .info.

But if you dont care about seo then grab anything.
    I know a very profitable site that is .org, but doesnt get ranked high in the serps much.
    I agree with the fact that $50 is nothing to spend for a little "cushion" around a good site.

However, I don't quite agree that .com is "loved" by the Big G. My single most profitable site, is neither, com, net, org, info, biz or us. It is a 2-letter country level domain - TOnga. It is a travel site for a US city and it does wonderful in the SERPS. So far this month (23rd) is has brought search engine traffic through over 4600 DIFFERENT keyphrases, the most popular of which brought just over 1300 visitors. This is all organic traffic (I have never used PPC on this site). My second most profitable site, however, is a dot-com. And I am working on a new project for a community info and travel site for a suburb of my home town; and, in this case, I do own all of the Top Level Domains, which cost less than $50 per year.

I also have some orgs that do well, a couple of infos that do well (just paid a bundle for a single word generic product name in dot-info), and a .biz that is beginning to show good SERP results even though the site is still small and fairly new.

So, Goog has some weird algos, but seems to do a fairly good job of finding the value-added sites to feature in the SERPs.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks Beachy.
    What I said before has been my experience, but Im glad youre doing well and am showing me beyond what I know. I appreciate learning new things

Variations of the . com are higher on my priority list than any of the others.
    Last edited by John Kruger; March 23rd, 2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: fat fingered
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

I seldom buy anything but .com domains. Nobody is going to accidentally type .net for a .com. The other way around, sure.

I'll buy any combinations of variations that make sense. For instance, for a recent domain purchase, I bought both singular and plural and "to" vs "2". This is for a {Product}(s)To{Verb}.com type domain. On another (To{Verb}.com type name), I bought both "to" and "2".

Don't forget common misspellings, too.

The more you expect word of mouth and type-in traffic and the more valuable the domain is to you, the more combinations you should get.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Good points. I registered a pair of domains with the number 12 in them, and I got the numerals 1-2 as well as the word "twelve". I didn't grab the non-.com versions of either.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

http and a telephoto
    I have 2 domains that I bought the .com versions with and without hyphens just to cover my bases, and I glad I did, and in that case I wish I had bought the .nets. It is a little disconcerting to see your own domain submitted to a niche directory you run, and upon looking twice see it is because someone bought the .net. But in general, just the .com and possibly a misspelling or two is good. I won't tell you how many misspellings of teamloxly.com I have bought, lol. Mostly from printing errors or knowing what people tend to type! I can't get the typos of loxly.com, a company actually has them (english tech company).

So I guess the moral of the story is, it depends on your site, your niche and how big you might get.

I have a couple of popular .nets and it is because it makes sense because they are resource directories, hence "networks" of sites. No .biz or .info though. If I had expanded a couple of my sites way back when, it actually would have made sense to register .info for them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

CPA Network Rep
    This is a very open ended question for sure ...as the answer depends upon your specific needs.

If you are purchasing a .com for branding purposes, I would suggest buying at least (the bare minimum) the .net and .org , in addition to the misspellings and hyphenated version (should the domain be 2 words).

Reason: Let’s say that your site that you set out to brand beyond branding becomes immensely popular, I can guarantee that if you did not buy all the variations of the domain, someone else will or already has. Now, others will be monetizing off of the success of your site. I have no desire to give money away ...do you? This issue now opens the topic for trademarking names, but that is an entirely different conversation.

If your goal is not about long term branding and have other items on your agenda for the name, such as for SEO purposes, there is no need to go through this…

-=Chipmunk=-
    [B]Matthew "Chipmunk" Sclier[/B]
    Affiliate Relations Manager
    [B]E-Mail:[/B] [email=matthew@leadflash.com]matthew@leadflash.com[/email]
    [B]Phone:[/B] (561) 499-3329 ext.126
    [B]AIM/Y!:[/B] ChipmunkLF l [B]ICQ: [/B] 48437188
    [URL=http://www.leadflash.com/855122D5-967E-4CAD-AE2B-F56DD265219C/refer.aspx]LeadFlash.com[/URL]: 100% Exclusive Cash Advance Offers

I would always purchase just the .com version of the name until the site that I built in 2005 (which was quite profitable then, not so much now ) was totally copied word for word as a .net. Only the logo was different. I am not sure how this affects anything in SE but I know it made me incredibly mad.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    So I guess the moral of the story is, it depends on your site, your niche and how big you might get.
    I think loxly hit the nail on the head. Last year I purchased names connected with a growing demographic. I hit on a very good name and decided that because this is my primary branding I purchased .com, .net, .us and .biz. I don't care about .org. I also registered several variations in these same top level domains. I don't want to get down the road with someone registering the same names in other popular top level domains and someday competing with me.
    So you have to use a little intuition. If you're naming a major website that you expect to do a lot of future business on, get more variations. Otherwise for a niche here and there I think just the .com and maybe .net are sufficient.

X

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Wow, thanks guys. I never even thought about hyphens.

That being said I just came up with a list of 8 more I should buy. They are all .com though. Gee whiz this could get expensive...

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    If you are adding hyphens to a three or more word domain usually people will type all hyphens or no hyphens. If you know what I mean?

It is just some insurance. You might want to hold off on it until you make some profit on it. You dont need real estate around domains that are losers and you may not renew.

But if you have a hyphen domain that makes money you defintely want to try to buy the non hyphen as someone will squat it as soon as they notice it. And there usually is decent type in traffic there. Usually people assume no hyphen.

If I'm just trying something out the .com, although as I usually target the UK I will tend to get the .co.uk at the same time.

However, if the site starts to become successful, then you will need to protect its branding..

The first set of alternate domains to acquire are .net, .org, .info, .biz, plus any hyphenated variant of your domain name. Also, add your local TLD (e.g. .us, .uk, .de, .au) to the portfolio. Usually, these domains are quite cheap to buy. If your site gain any sort of presence, you should look at acquiring as many of these as quickly as you can, before a squatter or speculator gets hold of them.

Assuming the site continues to grow, look at acquiring .eu, .asia or .mobi if appropriate. These are a bit more expensive and have some registration limitations.

If you really want to nail down common alternate TLDs, look at .ws, .nu, .tv, .fm and .cc. Some of these really are quite expensive, but if you're developing a site for the long term it might be worth securing them.

Of course, by the time you're a multimillion dollar corporation, you'll have cleaned up on all the hundreds of TLDs that are available.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Hmmmm...well it all depends upon how much wine I've had.

Regardless I always start with .com
    1-2 glasses - grab the .net if avail
    3-4 glasses - grab the .info and a hyphenated version
    5-6 glasses - grab all the above plus at least two spelling variations
    over 6 - empty the Paypal account and get everything you can.

Need I admit my love for wine and announce I have domains for sale?

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread