Buddy List - Does It work?
    I have the feeling of asking this way back, but search turned up nothing.
    From the board FAQ:
    The buddy list is used to keep track of the friends you have made on this forum. By going to your "My vB Home", you'll be able to see which of your friends are currently online, and be able to send them a private message.
    Someone with better eyes tell me where "My vB Home" is.

If you click on the "User CP" button at the top of the page and look down the left-hand side, there is a link for Buddy List. If you click on it, you can add people to your "Buddy List".

I am not sure if this is what you are asking but you can get to the Buddy/Ignore List from there.

Bettylou

If you click on the "User CP" button at the top of the page and look down the left-hand side, there is a link for Buddy List. If you click on it, you can add people to your "Buddy List".
    I had gotten that far but can't figure out what it actually accomplished.

Well, I hadn't ever tried to enter a name before, so I tried entering one to see what it did and you're right.....I can't tell what is accomplished either.

Adding a buddy makes them have a '+' next to their name in the dark blue and then white band near the top of the thread.

Example:

Welcome, sfcom There are currently 5 (3 members and 2 guests) Active Users Viewing This Thread

memberX, memberY, memberZ(+).

The hypothetical memberZ would be on my buddy list. It adds extra visibility for your "buddies."

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Adding a buddy makes them have a '+' next to their name in the dark blue and then white band near the top of the thread.

Example:

Welcome, sfcom There are currently 5 (3 members and 2 guests) Active Users Viewing This Thread

memberX, memberY, memberZ(+).

The hypothetical memberZ would be on my buddy list. It adds extra visibility for your "buddies."

-sfcom

Cool! Thanks for explaining that. So what does it does for those on the "Ignore List"?

It might not be implemented to it's fullest extent here. I checked another vbulletin forum that I am a member of and it my User CP all of buddies show up in a special box in the upper left hand corner of my screen. I can tell when they are online, and it gives me quicker access to them (mail, pm, etc). It works like an IM buddy list. Maybe Haiko can enable that.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by bettylou
    Cool! Thanks for explaining that. So what does it does for those on the "Ignore List"?
    If someone is on your ignore list, their posts in the thread will look blank to you. Also, it will state the user is on your ignore list.

Give it a try once, add me to your ignore list and then come back to this thread. You will see what I mean. (Then remove me...lol).

That list and the buddy list are openly editable. You can add or remove users anytime.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Give it a try once, add me to your ignore list and then come back to this thread. You will see what I mean. (Then remove me...lol).-sfcom

That's cool, too!

I would be curious to know why someone would ever add someone else to their ignore list. I mean, isn't the point of this forum to learn from and listen to the opinions of others? Even if they don't agree with their views.

Whoa! Sorry, didn't mean to go all philosophical on you there.

I would be curious to know why someone would ever add someone else to their ignore list.
    I have only one on my ignore list. It's not that I don't want their opinion it's that reading them frustrates me. Example would be, "Do you walk to school or carry your lunch"?

That's cool, too!

I would be curious to know why someone would ever add someone else to their ignore list. I mean, isn't the point of this forum to learn from and listen to the opinions of others? Even if they don't agree with their views.

Whoa! Sorry, didn't mean to go all philosophical on you there.
    Sometimes there's a user that you just can't learn anything from. I have two users on my ignore list, one is just plain obnoxious, the other started opening 7 year old threads a couple of weeks ago and I was hoping by adding them to my ignore list I wouldn't be promoted to open their post as a new post. Unfortunately everyone else either felt compelled to comment in the thread or didn't notice it's age before posting which forced the threads to the NEW POSTS list anyway.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread