Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    West Coast USA
    Posts
    3,043
    Craigslist SO SAD
    JACKSONVILLE, Ore. -- A pair of hoax ads on Craigslist cost an Oregon man much of what he owned.

    The ads popped up Saturday afternoon, saying the owner of a Jacksonville home was forced to leave the area suddenly and his belongings, including a horse, were free for the taking, said Jackson County sheriff's Detective Sgt. Colin.

    FULL STORY

    [fixed typo]
    Last edited by Adam Ward; March 24th, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Best New ABW Member 2007 sfcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,705
    That is terrible Adam. I also read the other case that was linked in that article too. I think CL needs to show some responsibility here. If they would make it a sticky in the free items section that there are no whole house giveaways allowed, then it could save some people major financial and emotional havoc.

    Yes, the majority of it still lies in the poster and the people who took the items. But, CL has to step up because if they don't then this will be allowed to keep happening. Just like they have this list of prohibited items and someone patroling them, they can do the same with the "free-take it all" posts.

    I am just waiting for someone to post a gas station or department store is giving away free gas or goods. That is the kind of abuse you open yourself up to when you offer a service such as CL. I 90% like it, but it is the 10% that I am worried about. Possibly if they had everyone sign up with @craigslist email accounts that were verified via CC, insanity like this would be put to a stop instantly.

    -sfcom


  3. #3
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2007
    Location
    West Covina, CA
    Posts
    8,443
    I remember when the first incident occurred, and find it unbelievable that it could happen again.

    CL was on notice that this type of thing can happen from the first incident, and they should have some liability for it happening a second time.

    Many jurisdictions used to have the "One Free Bite" rule (most now extend liabiity to the first incident) - a dog could bite someone and the owner was not responsible, but then with notice that the dog was dangerous, the owner was liable for any injuries caused by any dog bites thereafter.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

  4. #4
    Newbie Rolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    1,029
    That is so sad.....this poor man, I can only imagine his despair.....who in their right mind would believe such an ad, enough to break in to someone's home and take things, without the owner even being there....

  5. #5
    The Seal of Aproval rematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    That is so sad.....this poor man, I can only imagine his despair.....who in their right mind would believe such an ad, enough to break in to someone's home and take things, without the owner even being there....
    Who would be mean enough to place such an ad? I really hope that they are able to trace the origins of the ad, as unlikely as that seems.

    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

  6. #6
    Full Member KODea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2005
    Posts
    236
    prosecution was likely for anybody caught with his property. Detectives have contacted Craigslist's legal team to try to trace the ad.

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador Sheri's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 17th, 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    531
    Who would do something like that to someone? And who would refuse to give the stuff back when the owner was there and obviously in distress?

    I think that is horrible. I think it will be easy to track that down because it is going to be someone he knows. Someone with a grudge.

    Sheri

  8. #8
    Newbie Rolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    1,029
    I know this is

    Sheri, I just love how you randomly appear! Saw Michael in New York at SES, was shocked he wasn't in a "muscle" shirt......

  9. #9
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2006
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    4,731
    That is a really cruel joke that somebody played.

    I think it was the pack mentality where you grab whatever you can and run

  10. #10
    Affiliate Manager bcwaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    That is terrible Adam. I also read the other case that was linked in that article too. I think CL needs to show some responsibility here. If they would make it a sticky in the free items section that there are no whole house giveaways allowed, then it could save some people major financial and emotional havoc.

    Yes, the majority of it still lies in the poster and the people who took the items. But, CL has to step up because if they don't then this will be allowed to keep happening. Just like they have this list of prohibited items and someone patroling them, they can do the same with the "free-take it all" posts.
    -sfcom
    As someone who runs a classifieds site, I believe that they are not reviewing ads for content. They were recently cleared of liability because they are protected under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act which states that providers of interactive computer services are not publishers of the information provided by their users for purposes of legal liability.

    Note that Craigslist lets ads get flagged by uesrs, at which point they can be removed if they violate policy. But, if one actively reviews content, then they might be deemed liable for any content that violates their rules. The reason is because readers might then assume they are safe because content has been reviewed.

    I agree that the situation is horrible, and it says more about society in general than it does about Craigslist and other services that can be abused by degenerates. After all, how many reasonable people would see an ad like that and really believe that someone would just give away everything?
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

  11. #11
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2007
    Location
    West Covina, CA
    Posts
    8,443
    Quote Originally Posted by bcwaller
    As someone who runs a classifieds site, I believe that they are not reviewing ads for content. They were recently cleared of liability because they are protected under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act which states that providers of interactive computer services are not publishers of the information provided by their users for purposes of legal liability.

    Note that Craigslist lets ads get flagged by uesrs, at which point they can be removed if they violate policy. But, if one actively reviews content, then they might be deemed liable for any content that violates their rules. The reason is because readers might then assume they are safe because content has been reviewed.

    I agree that the situation is horrible, and it says more about society in general than it does about Craigslist and other services that can be abused by degenerates. After all, how many reasonable people would see an ad like that and really believe that someone would just give away everything?
    In the defamation case you linked to, the judge ruled that a site such as CL that does not review content, is not liable for injuries sustained due to items posted onto the site by visitors. But, he went on in his written opinion to specifically state that in tort cases where there is no requirement of a publication as is present in defamation cases, the website may well be liable for damages:
    The author of that case, Chief Judge Frank Easterbrook, also wrote the current opinion in the Craigslist case. He upheld the reasoning of the previous decision and limited Section 230's scope to those claims that have a publication element. This means that courts within the Seventh Circuit's jurisdiction cannot hold websites liable for injuries that require some kind of publication, such as defamation or the discriminatory housing postings at issue in the Craigslist case, but can find the sites liable for all other torts arising out of information provided by their users.
    In a tort case, such as the injured man in the Oregon case might bring, according to Judge Easterbrook's dictum, CL could be liable for his damages.

    However, this is merely dictum (a gratuitous opinion given by a judge concerning a matter not before him, that has no bearing on the case before him, and which cannot be used as law in any other case) and would have to be determined by the court hearing the Oregon case, in that jurisdiction, which may or may not follow Judge Easterbrook's reasoning.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

  12. #12
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12,360
    Something has to be done to make things right for this poor man. What a horrible thing to do!

    It's scary that any creep can put an ad in any publication and have this happen. There should be a way to trace all ad posters. If not already on the books, then it should be after this.

    Human cruelty absolutely sucks.
    Peace,

    Rexanne

    Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic


  13. #13
    ABW Ambassador Boom or Bust's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by bcwaller
    After all, how many reasonable people would see an ad like that and really believe that someone would just give away everything?
    The CL listing basically threw up a searchlight saying, this guy's not home, all thieves welcome! And that's generally the kind of people who responded to the ad. It struck me as odd that those he tried to stop from taking his stuff refused to concede. That's because they were crooks! If they haven't/don't return the property, they're as guilty as the one who posted the ad.



    X

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    West Coast USA
    Posts
    3,043

  15. #15
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,238
    That would really suck. Did these vultures just grab stuff from his porch or did they actually enter inside the home? If the former, sounds like this guy had a lot of stuff on his porch and maybe a neighbor got tired of looking at the stuff.

    Off topic, but can't believe there is a typo in the article.

  16. #16
    ABW Veteran Student Heyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    5,482
    Terrible that people are so foolish. It also gives the internet a black eye. I think CL needs to get more responsible and remove all of the hooker ads etc. Free speach is great but there has to be some responsiblity held by the owners of the venue in which the speech is given. Otherwise we'd have terrorists blaring on public tv.

  17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Craigslist mastermind
    By bakibal in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 19th, 2014, 02:02 PM
  2. Sad, just sad. Whale meat and ivory?
    By flamingoworld in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 12th, 2014, 09:31 PM
  3. Craigslist and the like
    By bonham in forum Building Traffic, Newsletters & Advertising
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
  4. selling on craigslist
    By Vinny O'Hare in forum Virtual Family and Off-Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: February 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
  5. Craigslist Crackdowns ...
    By BPP in forum Marketing Resources & Power Tools
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 7th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •