Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anyone want to compete? I want to compete
    I want to compete against someone, or a few people, in online business. I really dont know what though.
    Like maybe starting a new blog and seeing who can make the most money in 6 months.
    Or some other business idea.
    But I only know how to blog, I stink at buying adwords traffic and selling ebooks.

Anyways, if anyone is up for a friendly competition, Im game.
    I think it would be a great motivator for me to really bust my butt, instead of coasting along like I am now.

And to make it good it could be something liek loser pays the winner money, or something.

ABW Ambassador
    How about a PPC contest for the KW "mesothelioma"

*JOKE*

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I'm sorry but for some reason this is hilarious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    I'm sorry but for some reason this is hilarious to me.
    In a bad way?
    I think its motivating.

I just mentioned the M word in a PPC conversation on Friday, Mackin. Get out of my head.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

It's funny because you are already in competition with the hundreds of thousands of internet marketers in the world. If you need someone else to motivate you then you are in the wrong line of business. I don't know why you wouldn't just compete with yourself, or set your own goals...I will make xxxx by xxx...I will pay off this bill by xxxx...I will have this much traffic by xxxx.

Yes I know you thought it would just be fun and maybe to someone it will be. But it just seems silly to me and wreaks of John Chow and Shoemoney.
    Last edited by ProWebAddict; March 24th, 2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: left out a word

It's funny because you are already in competition with the hundreds of thousands of internet marketers in the world. If you need someone else to motivate you then you are in the wrong line of business. I don't know why you wouldn't just compete with, or set goals for yourself...I will make xxxx by xxx...I will pay off this bill by xxxx...I will have this much traffic by xxxx.

Yes I know you thought it would just be fun and maybe to someone it will be. But it just seems silly to me and wreaks of John Chow and Shoemoney.
    It's a little different to compete with hundreds of thousands of people who I dont know, cant measure, have totally different parameters.

I think the John Chow and Shoemoney competition is great.

This isn't a hobby for many folks here - you will find very few businesses willing to share their stats for the sake of competition or motivation.

You need to set specific goals, and focus... each milestone will be as exciting as the last one. You seem to have lots of ideas, pick one or two & run with them. Some will work, others won't.. you've realized this isn't as easy as some think, which is actually half the battle (says me, who stayed up till 5am working on a new site!).

Good luck..

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    This isn't a hobby for many folks here - you will find very few businesses willing to share their stats for the sake of competition or motivation.
    Exactly. There are some merchants that have competitions that you can attempt to enter, but competing against people here isn't going to be realistic. Some folks here can kick your butt with one hand tied behind their backs, and others can't get out of the box... lol.

Anyway, no one will be willing to share their stats in an open forum, or even privately. Most family members don't know even know how much folks here make
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Okey doke.
    I thought the 30 Day challenge was great and even spawned a whole internet marketing business after it was over.
    I was looking for the fun challenge of it of a friendly competition and not learning others secrets. Thanks for the feedback

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by marc100
    Okey doke.
    I thought the 30 Day challenge was great and even spawned a whole internet marketing business after it was over.
    I was looking for the fun challenge of it of a friendly competition and not learning others secrets. Thanks for the feedback
    It spawned an ebook opportunity....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I've done this before...with a friend, we set a dollar amount between us -what we wanted to make a month in affiliate marketing. The "loser" bought the "winner" a trophy.

I won't get into details..but I won...and I do have to say the competition definitely helped me build my business. it was very motivating.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan
    I won't get into details..but I won...and I do have to say the competition definitely helped me build my business. it was very motivating.
    Thats exactly the reason I want to do it.
    I already work an online business but its been coasting, and my last few months were bad and burned me out. a competition would light a fire and push me more than I do now.

And congrats on your win

Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan
    I've done this before...with a friend...
    Ahh, he said with a friend, not a stranger from the board

Maybe someone you actually know would do this with you, marc100.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Ahh, he said with a friend, not a stranger from the board

Maybe someone you actually know would do this with you, marc100.
    No, everyone I know is lazy
    I work online and everyone says "I should do that"
    and I say "Great! Ill teach you about SEO and get you started."
    and theyre like "yeah yeah, someday Ill do that.
    Gotta go, bye."
    lol. oh well.

I only compete with myself
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I hear ya, Marc100--I love competition! Just not the way you're envisioning it. You want to "play" competition. The reason that nobody wants to play that way is that they (and I) realize you and everyone else who gets the data is, or can become, REAL competition, and therefore, our stats and methods need to stay proprietary.

As for myself, I just consider every other site (out of those with a clue--hobbyists don't count) that's in my active categories to be the competition. That satisfies my desire to compete. Nothing like seeing a competitor lose, or even change their site or pricing around because they're scared you'll whup their butt with some 6-month-old site! Especially if it's some big-seeming place acting all chicken (I've seen some react as though they think my site *must* be a secret test of some giant megacorp...).

Obviously, "scoring" isn't simple, like if you're doing it with a friend. But psychologically, wins are greater if it's a real competitor on the other end, instead of someone who's just playing along in order to humor you.

I think your idea is great but don't expect to get any support from the majority of the people who frequent this board. Too many people here fear the truth and would NEVER reveal what they really make. Public tools that would measure ones success and accountability ( like a companies annual report ) are not welcomed in affiliate marketing. But soon, this will change.

after reading this thread, I am wondering if say a program sponsored the competition, then no one would need to share stats.

While I agree that competing with only yourself if the best route to go in this industry, but a friendly challenge is always helpful as well. Being that I am a competitive person by nature, I do "get" this.

So my thoughts - I am launching three new programs in the next two weeks, Two of them are wide open, as they are very niche and there is no competition online for either of them. If I get my clients to sponsor this competition, I would base the winner on either total number of new clients, or revenue. I WILL NOT share the final numbers for the affiliates competing, so you would have to trust me when I say this person won. Also I don't think it would be wise to announce the list of competing affiliates either, as anyone can then start searching and pilfer another's site. It would have to be kept under wraps, unless an affiliate specifically says it is ok to make them public, this would be another one of those, you will have to trust me things.

Prizes - I like the trophy idea, but that doesn't seem worth it for all the work I know affiliates will put in to this. I am thinking an additional 10% in commissions for all revenue generated during the competition, for all affiliates competing (that way everyone gets something for their hard work) and the "winner" - a cash bonus, a tangible item, an ad placed in their hometown newspaper naming them as the winner, a gift certificate.....what would make a GREAT first prize????

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    Too many people here fear the truth and would NEVER reveal what they really make. Public tools that would measure ones success and accountability ( like a companies annual report ) are not welcomed in affiliate marketing. But soon, this will change.
    Man I couldn't disagree more.

I have owned 6 different businesses ranging from an aerospace parts manufacturing company to a chain of retail stores to the busiest online fundraising company in the country and I would not have shared earnings and sales info with anyone other than my accountant (or banker when I had bank debt).

Affiliate Marketing is small business opportunity at its best.

What do you think the successful people here fear? The top producers make a lot more money than you think : )
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

What do you think the successful people here fear? The top producers make a lot more money than you think : )
    I don't think the successful people fear anything. I am talking about the rest. The other 99%.

I wouldn't know what the top producers make because it is not disclosed here or anywhere else. Thats my point.

I, too, have had many companies. Some big, some small. I guarantee that my competition knew what I was making. It could be measured in the visible world that I lived in. It was TRANSPARANT. People could figure it out by the house I lived in or the cars that I drove. Affiliate Marketing is a VIRTUAL business. I don't know what people consider a success because I am not around them to see it. To MEASURE their success.

Everyone has their own definition of success in this business an I fear that newbies come into this place with expectations that are out of wack. Some might say that making $500 a week is success. Other need $5000 to live up to their idea of success. Some are happy with $50 a week yet give the virtual appearance that they are much more "successful" than they really are.

All I am saying is that it would be nice to have an accurate tool where affiliate marketers could report their true income.....so others might choose to decide on what level of success they would like to achieve or measure up to.

I, like the original poster, need competition to stay motivated. Not all of us are self-driven or have the personal discipline to set and achieve personal goals. I would rather compete against others than compete against myself.

Too many people here fear the truth and would NEVER reveal what they really make.
    I don't reveal what I make and it's not because I fear the truth, lololol. It's because a long time ago I was taught that there are three things you don't discuss in public; religion, politics, and how much you make.

What do you know, it stuck with me.

By the way...everyone doesn't wear/drive/live/buy their income...ask Warren Buffet.
    Last edited by ProWebAddict; March 25th, 2008 at 10:06 AM.

I agree with the other posters..my thing worked for me cause I did it with a friend...someone I knew. I recommend getting to know people here in the same boat as you..then maybe you can set that friendly competition up between the two of you.
    working with, and "vs." someone definitely makes all this more fun, and motivating.

I don't reveal what I make and it's not because I fear the truth, lololol. It's because a long time ago I was taught that there are three things you don't discuss in public; religion, politics, and how much you make.
    I was taught the same thing growing up. To this day, I have no idea how much money my parents make. I know they live in a house in Florida that is on the market for over $400k, so you might reasonably extrapolate a range of incomes, but that's only one indicator. It would be fair to say they don't earn $25k a year living in a home like that (and they've always had nice homes), but maybe they're the kind of people that live below their means and they actually do $1M a year. Who knows? Not me. I consider it rude to ask - it's none of my business.

I don't reveal what I make, either - except to my wife and the IRS. When my daughter gets old enough to ask, I'll tell her the same thing my father told me - "Your mother and I make enough for us to live like we do. The number isn't important".

Affiliate marketers run private businesses - why on earth would any of us disclose how much we make anyway? It's not a matter of "the truth" - any information you give your competition can be used against you.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I would rather compete against others than compete against myself.
    Okay, put it this way: I don't compare myself to others, I'm only interested in my own progress [and I prefer to keep that to myself ]
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast