What is the most important thing to do to be high on google?
    Just learning SEO and I was wondering what you guys feel is the most important thing to do to get up high on google?

I have been reading a lot and seems like many people think having a huge amount of backlinks is the way to go.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Matt

Create original and good content is the way to go.

do you always submit your site to google and yahoo or will they find you?

ABW Ambassador
    If there is a link on an indexed site to your site, they will find you.

There are two basic ways to get ahead.

"Organic growth" involves building good content that people will link to, gently optimising your pages to help search engines understand the content better, and basically putting in a lot of hard work over a period of time.

Or there's the "Live Fast, Die Young" approach of getting zillions of backlinks and SEOing everything to death. These sites will often get permanently penalised by Google, but can generate a large quantity of money while they are running.

The approaches tend to be quite polarised.. there's not much middle ground. The last thing you want to do is take a site that has grown organically and then kill it off with an over-zealous approach to SEO.

Personally, I feel the wrath of the great Google god is something worth avoiding. But then even if you do everything the way that Google demands, the great Google god will sometimes strike you down anyway. Hmmm.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    1) unique and worthwhile content
    2) relevant backlinks
    3) don't rely on Google

Quote Originally Posted by mweidner2782
    do you always submit your site to google and yahoo or will they find you?
    No need to wait for Google to find YOU. Create a sitemap and submit it to Google through Google Webmasters Tools. You'll be indexed within a couple days as opposed to waiting for up to months using the routine submission method (or the put it out there and hope you're found method). Just Google "google sitemap" to learn how.
    Of course, all the above apply also. You must have worthwhile content otherwise you won't rank well and consequently won't be easily found whether you're indexed or not. Getting indexed is just the first necessary step once your site is complete.

X

"Don't be evil." --- black hat methods will work for the short term, but white hat methods ensure longevity.

-sfcom

High on Google...
    I was once high on Google. Then I learned; JUST SAY NO!

X

The most important thing is to make a very cool and useful website. Offer community features and start building a following around your niche. The more people you have interacting and using your site, the better you'll rank.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Warning--no matter how "good" your c*ntent is, it doesn't mean a thing unless people know about it. You will have to actively get links until this happens--it's NOT an "if you build it they will come" kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mweidner
    I was wondering what you guys feel is the most important thing to do to get up high on google?
    Links. Most of the differences in this thread boil down to opinions on how to get said links.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    "Don't be evil." --- black hat methods will work for the short term, but white hat methods ensure longevity.
    Not all black hat is evil, Google's moralistic propaganda aside. Also, white-hat doesn't ensure longevity, it just maximizes the chances for it. White hat or black, there are still only 10 slots in the top 10. So most aren't going to get there, and none are guaranteed to stay.

Granted, there is incredible churn for the really black-hat methods. I've seen some serious blackhats say they're glad if a site lasts a month without a ban...no thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    The most important thing is to make a very cool and useful website.
    I think a site should be designed with its target audience in mind, rather than some absolute idea of "cool and useful." It's the audience's opinion that counts, not the webmaster's. Different audiences will consider entirely different features (or lack thereof) to be cool & useful. Also, the amount of net-savviness varies greatly between different audiences. What works on an electronics site could fail miserably if aimed at a demographic like new moms, and vice versa.

In other words, I think it's most important that the intended user's desires take top priority, even if that means that other webmasters don't get wowed. Of course, if your target IS other webmasters or other people who appreciate the cool, then by all means put on as much tech-bling as you can.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I think a site should be designed with its target audience in mind, rather than some absolute idea of "cool and useful." It's the audience's opinion that counts, not the webmaster's. Different audiences will consider entirely different features (or lack thereof) to be cool & useful. Also, the amount of net-savviness varies greatly between different audiences. What works on an electronics site could fail miserably if aimed at a demographic like new moms, and vice versa.

In other words, I think it's most important that the intended user's desires take top priority, even if that means that other webmasters don't get wowed. Of course, if your target IS other webmasters or other people who appreciate the cool, then by all means put on as much tech-bling as you can.
    Sure, be cool for your target audience. Never said you should try to impress other webmasters.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    I was once high on Google. Then I learned; JUST SAY NO!
    Took me a second.....that is too funny. Thanks for the laugh!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Sure, be cool for your target audience. Never said you should try to impress other webmasters.

- Scott
    You didn't this time--but when you've gotten specific about what you think of as cool in other threads, IMO other webmasters and programmers *are* who'd tend to be impressed by a lot of your suggestions, whether that's your direct intention or not.

So I responded based on that.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    You didn't this time--but when you've gotten specific about what you think of as cool in other threads, IMO other webmasters and programmers *are* who'd tend to be impressed by a lot of your suggestions, whether that's your direct intention or not.

So I responded based on that.
    Well it's good to impress them because they're the ones who are going to write about you and give you press and/or links. But word of mouth traffic through a narrow niche is just as good if you can get the ball rolling.

- Scott

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread