Standalone Search Box
    Here is how you can do a standalone search box. This requires basic knowledge of how html forms work. This is unsupported, so don't go asking Jessie, because I'll deny I ever told you... and she doesn't know how forms work.

What you will need:

1. A page containing a php/asp snippet for a search-enabled shop
    2. Any other page in your site

Ok, so for this example lets say we have:

1. search.php, our page with a PopShops snippet
    2. index.php, our home page

Inside the home page if you want a search box, just add the following:

Code:
    <form action="search.php">
      <input type="text" name="psps_search" />
      <input type="submit" value="Search" />
    </form>
    Easy peasy.

Notes:
    * The action for the form should point to the location of the search.php.
    * The search function only searches merchants present in your shop

Can you also use style="display:none" to remove non-search items instead of creating a new page?

I'm not sure I follow.

What are you trying to hide with the display:none?

was just saying you can use stylesheets to hide things if you only want to display the search box.........at least I haven't tried it to confirm, but threw out there

ABW Ambassador
    Dan - Thanks for the instructions. I just set this up on one of my sites and it works perfectly.

Help in understanding this
    I'm confused.

Where are you getting the search.php page from?

The search.php was just an example. It is just a page you have on your website that you have embedded a PopShops snippet in. It can be named whatever you want, but it is a page you have created.

This will search all the merchants for that shop? WOW! Very helpful.

Is it just the merchants that have products displayed on that page or any that you have filtered in for that shop?

It will use the products you have added to the shop to determine what merchants to search.

So if you manually pick 5 products from five different merchants, it will search those 5 merchants.

Thumbs up
    I see. thanks again.

Is there a way to add search terms?
    Very cool. I was wondering if thereís an easy way to add text to the search terms in order to narrow the search. Right now my shops are organized by brand. For a webpage featuring a particular brand, I would like to limit searches to that brand, but when the search is performed the results include all brands the vendors carry. (Iíve tried a couple of things but canít seem to get it to work.)

Take a look at the discussion about building a dynamic shop and dynamic pages. It's quite simple to implement, and I've taken nearly all of my store into dynamics. If your shop is in PHP, or if you have someone doing your PHP for you, you can be up and running with dynamic shops in minutes.

Thanks fern. Probably a good time to brush up on my php.

Am I right in saying that this only works for "Enterprise" level PopShops members? Because you can only use the search feature in Enterprise -- is that right?
    Generate more fake news.

I'm not really sure if it will work below Enterprise level. I did make a department that had no search chosen in preferences, driving it only from the keyword entries I made available, and it worked fine. I don't know whether that is because of Enterprise level or the query itself.

I should clarify.. I don't speak PHP either, but I'm very good at blindly following directions

Just got enterprise plan and I think this script is pretty nice but the problem with search is that it doesn't search on all shops so I can make a search on for 100 products approx.

Will that be possible in the future to make a search that will search on all shops ?

Read the full thread above. The search box does not search just the products in the shop, it searches ALL the products for the merchants your pulling products into your shop. So if your shop has products from Sports Authority and FogDog, the search box will search ALL products from their entire inventory.

Yea just realized that.. thanks

another question -
    is it possible to make another page for each product ?
    cuz i'm doing PPC and for some specific brands I want visitors to see on my website exactly what they were looking for.

Yarden.

No. Product pages not available. That's the one everyone is really wanting, but haven't heard anything on that.

The 100 shops is the limit if you want to create "shop" search page where only that page is search enabled...which is the only way to set it up as its own search engine in my pages. Otherwise I can only display search at the top of each individual shop I have, and that is what I do not want to do...................stand alone search doesn't work either because I have to search disable my shops to hide the search box for each shop.........re, see why I was trying to do style="display:none" as mentioned earlier

Yarden, I am doing individual category pages right now that work pretty well. There are some minor items I cannot remove because PopShops search builder doesn't support numeric........(another wish list item)..........but if you use advanced search and can drill down what you do and do not want searched, it is possible.............watch out though, like mine I have some that have upwards of 30 search terms to remove from the base search eliminating the non-wanted junk

Hi,
    The built-in search box show the number of results to the user returned after a keyword search.
    How can I create the similar feature via stand-alone search box?

Thanks,

No Longer Banned!
    Popshops Search Box Hack....
    You can scope my hack here

I spent a few hours on it. Goes beyond the simple hack listed.

I hope this contributes a little

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread