Question Domain being spoofed -argh! Any solution?
    A domain I use for personal email is being spoofed. I see that it is a common problem [abw thread link].

My main questions for people that had to battle this is:
    1) what are the repercussions to me (personally) and to my domain?
    2) will my domain be blacklisted, and my friends/family not get my emails anymore?
    3) any way to stop it? there was a link in the prior thread to openspf.org - but there is a lot of techno-babble there. I went through the wizard, but not sure if that is something my host (yahoo personal email service) can support.

This has been happening for months, with over 60K bounced messages! I have about 15K saved in a folder. I emailed yahoo about this, but there canned response was that they can't do anything about it.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    None that I know of.

One of my sites had this happen to it. Strangely it just stoppped and has never restarted. They must have found some new domains the like more. Maybe yours?

This has been happening for months, with over 60K bounced messages! I have about 15K saved in a folder. I emailed yahoo about this, but there canned response was that they can't do anything about it.
    Just make sure that you don't reply to any of those fake bounced messages and they may go away sooner.

If they're not from your domain and you reply, you may get more spam later.

http and a telephoto
    Spoofing just means they are using your address as their return address, has nothing to do with actually using your server. Yes you get blacklisted, no there doesn't seem to be anything much you can do about it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Spammers have screwed up my email address by abusing it so much that my mail "appears" to bounce to all who send it to me even though I do receive the emails. Drives me insane. My email address has been listed as a spammer because of this and I have no clue what to do to make it stop. I do have my email addy plastered all over my site which I know is stoopid but I want my visitors to be able to contact me easily, without them having to fill out a form or struggle to see a CAPTCHA. I've been deleting excessive "message blocked or undeliverable" emails for a few years already.

If there is something our hosting companies can do to help, would be nice to know.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Bounce messages took down a server of mine at the weekend. Not nice.

You could look at something like Postini (see http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en...y/compare.html) which can filter the mail externally for you. Requires some mucking about with DNS though.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Spammers have screwed up my email address by abusing it so much that my mail "appears" to bounce to all who send it to me even though I do receive the emails. Drives me insane. My email address has been listed as a spammer because of this and I have no clue what to do to make it stop. I do have my email addy plastered all over my site which I know is stoopid but I want my visitors to be able to contact me easily, without them having to fill out a form or struggle to see a CAPTCHA. I've been deleting excessive "message blocked or undeliverable" emails for a few years already.

If there is something our hosting companies can do to help, would be nice to know.
    Try masking your email address on your pages to help keep the harvesting robots from getting your address. See this http://digitalcolony.com/lab/maskema...mailASCII.aspx
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by buyjewelry
    1) what are the repercussions to me (personally) and to my domain?
    Not much, just the flood of bounced messages and possibly more spam.
    2) will my domain be blacklisted, and my friends/family not get my emails anymore?
    Yes and no, mostly no. True 'blacklisting' through an RBL is by the IP address of the sender and has nothing to do with the domain itself.
    3) any way to stop it? there was a link in the prior thread to openspf.org - but ... not sure if that is something my host (yahoo personal email service) can support."
    You've already got the answer, SPF. It's a little tricky to get your head around, but any good host should be able to help you set this up.

And SPF is not the 'end all' solution, but it does help.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The spammers will move on to another domain shortly, so don't worry too much about this event. Blacklisting folks know about spoofing well, you're unlikely to be blacklisted when you're a spoofing victim. They are faking / spoofing their spam as if it came from you, they'll move on to remain a moving target making them harder to catch. They (or another spammer) will be back later though, it's part of owning a site / domain name.

If you ever get some spammer targeting you specifically (called a "Joe job"), they won't move on and you just keep getting bombed in several ways. Here's some things you can do about it, all are reactionary, none are ideal solutions:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/sab...ping-joe-job/2

Chin up, this happens to us all. Many aren't even aware of it (those that don't use catch all emails usually don't see the replies and bounces).

Thanks Guys!
    All great links and ideas in here.

so -
    1) There's nothing official to really stop it.
    2) There are some things that might work: spf,Coping With The Joe Job
    3) Blacklisted is a threat - but not likely because they block IP's not domains
    4) No real personal threat - because the sending party is not the domain owner
    5) It happens to many of us (most don't know it's happening)

Many Internet services use a technique to check for valid return addresses on all incoming mail. If the return address is not validated the email is discarded. The best you can do is just make sure your mail server rejects all invalid email (joeblo3487sdj@yourdomain.com). If these fake email addresses are accepted by your server before validating them, then the mail is allowed through to the recipient. Better yet, if you can block invalid email addresses at the SMTP level, the game is over right there and there's not even a NDR (non deliver report) returned, and you won't be receiving all the bounced mail messages. We use XWall which runs on a server ahead of the Exchange server. It's highly configurable and does a great job.

X

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread