advice on geolocation,
    I'm hoping to get some much needed advice from a publishers prospective and I thought ABW was the best place to ask.
    I am based in Ireland and am involved in video game rental and rental through a web site, our market is solely based in Ireland and we are unable to ship abroad, we are just about to launch an affiliate program but there is only a handful of Irish sites that could be considered relevant to the video games industry. But world wide there is countless sites.
    I have just come across the idea of geolocation and think that it could be useful to help broaden our affiliate network.
    I have found some software that can help publishers target country specific IP. (maxmind.com). But before I dive head first into this I need to know if publishers would really go to the extra effort involved and do you see enough Irish traffic to warrent doin this?
    Well that's the big question I have for the moment. Well I hope you can help
    Thanks in advance.

We use the geolocation data as a publisher, but not to help out with affiliate deals. I don't really see a potential affiliate setting up geolocation just so that they can serve your creative. Most ad networks have geolocation and can geotarget ads, but then you would need to negotiate CPM deals or convince them to take a CPA deal.

You could inquire with the CPA networks if they can geotarget or help, but I think they are not set up to help affiliates serve creative.

I think you are best off by finding more sites that have traffic that fits your needs and working with them..
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

I would offer geolocation data as a tool for affiliates (if maxmind will license it for you to share in that way), but I certainly wouldn't imply that affiliates had to use it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I have been searching for a geo-targeting solution for Wordpress for months. I'd love to have someway to show different ads or html to different countries.

In Fact, I need something like this for some sites I want to make for a software vendor.

Plus my old derelict half abandoned ESL site would be monetizable with geotargeting.

If you are planning to make something that will ONLY work with your products then probably few affiliates would use it.

Thanks for the advice, I think you have saved me alot of time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I have been searching for a geo-targeting solution for Wordpress for months. I'd love to have someway to show different ads or html to different countries.

In Fact, I need something like this for some sites I want to make for a software vendor.

Plus my old derelict half abandoned ESL site would be monetizable with geotargeting.
    For serving ads, check out OpenX (http://www.openx.org/phpadsnew) as I believe that they have implemented geotargeting. We are looking at adding this capability to AdJungle, but as a feature for advertisers. I can always ask the programmers about allowing publishers to manage by location as well once we implement this.

Unless you have a programmer detect the incoming IP address and alter the content or destination, I don't know how you could show different html to your visitors. It can be done, but you would need a programmer to set this up.

You could contact Dana or Karen from ContentRobot (http://www.contentrobot.com) to see if this is something that can do, or if they know who could do this for your WordPress site.
    EPage.com

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcwaller

Unless you have a programmer detect the incoming IP address and alter the content or destination, I don't know how you could show different html to your visitors. It can be done, but you would need a programmer to set this up.
    I don't see how showing a certain snippet of html would be much harder than showing a banner and link. The banner and link would be html too.
    I don't want to do any redirects just show content specific to visitor's country.
    Certain programs only sell to certain regions. I'd also want to change some text for different dialects.

For example: I don't want to show Spanish for Argentina to a visitor from Mexico.
    I don't want to show a product that only ships in the USA to a visitor from Spain.

The software merchant offers some applications as downloads so it would be good for a visitor from anywhere.
    Some products are box and download so I'd want to show both to someone within the shipping area.

thank you for your reply.

It's not harder. The only thing is that ad servers are often designed to geotarget, so the ability may be built in. If you want to change the language of the page, that is where you need the programmer.

I have not used OpenX, so I don't know exactly how it works, but you might be able to serve country specific creatives as long as the fit the form factors supported. This might not be a big issue as most programs have creatives in the IAB standard sizes, and you might even be able to just enter HTML for the ad.

I know we support that when advertisers or publishers want to upload content. We give them a box for their rich media and other content, which could be flash, HTML, or just about anything else. I'd hope OpenX can do as much.
    EPage.com

IPligence
    Try IPligence.com they have a free ip geolocation database called IPligence community edition .
    Last edited by MichaelColey; April 4th, 2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Removed Links

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread