ABW Ambassador
    Old Site, switching to Wordpress, duplicate content?
    I have a website up, and I wish to switch to managing it with Wordpress. I know wordpress may not be the best for CM, but I believe it will do what I want it too (and I've worked with it in the past, stick to the devil ya know, lol).

So my question.. I have some old pages indexed in google, and some of them will be copied to Wordpress, but their names will be different. So I figure google will flag that for duplicate, right?

I see in google webmaster tools, if I just delete the pages, google should unindex them next time it visits my website. Or I can request for the URL's be removed.

Although, if I'm reading it correctly, google could leave them in the index if they are linked too? I don't think they are.. but if that's the case, would it be better to switch those pages to redirects to the new pages, or would google get upset if I did that?

Thanks.

I don't really know, but my first thought was, try putting redirects on the old pages so that they redirect to the new pages? Will be interested to see what others think.

BTW I've started using wordpress as a CMS on some of my sites, and so far I like it.

ABW Ambassador
    I've used it too for that purpose in that past. One reason I don't want to go with the other CMS's, since I know Wordpress well and the plugins should do what I want, lol.

Maybe I'll change them to redirects, but tell google to delete them and block them from robots. So any traffic they get, will be sent to me, till google removes them.

I dunno, lol.

Hi,

You can add a 301 Redirect - this will alert the SEs that the former page has been redirected to the new page. You won't get a duplicate content penalty from doing this.

All the best,
    Peggy Murrah
    Last edited by Trust; March 31st, 2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: sig

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    You should definitely do a redirect or I believe it will definitely be looked upon as duplicate content,
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    I've used it too for that purpose in that past. One reason I don't want to go with the other CMS's, since I know Wordpress well and the plugins should do what I want, lol.

Maybe I'll change them to redirects, but tell google to delete them and block them from robots. So any traffic they get, will be sent to me, till google removes them.

I dunno, lol.
    You can't 301 them and tell Google to remove them at the same time. They won't "be there" to removed, they'll be redirected server-side.

Just 301 them, and the old URLs will disappear from the index eventually (visibly, anyway).

I agree, a 301 redirect is the only solution.

Quote Originally Posted by healthexpress
    I agree, a 301 redirect is the only solution.
    I concur. It may not be the "only" solution, but it is the best solution .
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Would it be less useful to write a new post about the latest developments/news/changes on the old page and link to it from WP?

I would redirect 301 them so G would know and any people that have your pages bookmarked will still be able to find their pages. Also link juice/page rank retained.
    Then I would upload a new sitemap to G.

ABW Ambassador
    Kinda old thread, lol.. thanks for the additional replies. I did end up doing 301 redirects for the pages and put up a new site map.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread