Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just got terrible news...need advice
    I wouldn't have believed it was possible, but my year has gone from bad to worse. I just got back from the vet with my dear cat Axl (he will be 11 years old in May) who was just diagnosed with kidney disease. I believe the vet used the term "severe". They gave him fluids and said there was a good chance he could improve with the fluids. If he does, then I might be able to give him fluids at home; I think once a week or once a month -- I am not sure. I am still in shock I really don't know anything for sure right now, except that if he doesn't improve, then I will have to put him to sleep. I do remember the vet saying that she has seen cats do well with the treatment.

I am crying too hard to call and speak to anyone about this. I spend time every day reading at ABW and know there are very smart people with a lot of information. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has been through this with their cat or dog.

Thanks!!

Online Marketing Consultant
    Wow, what horrible news. Sorry to hear that. Our dog growing up had the same kidney problems with the fluids and all.

We ended up doing the fluids treatments and for the first few hours after she would seem slightly happy, then she would fall back into being in pain and sleeping...after a couple months we couldn't take it anymore and although it was extremely hard to do, we put her to sleep as her life would not have gotten any better.

We got her some pain pills, gave her the fluids so that we could have a happy healthy last few hours. She got her favorite foods, we all got kisses and gave her a hug, then she went to the vet and at least was able to go without feeling any pain.

I'm not saying you should put axl down, but if it seems like he may not improve and he gets worse like our dog did, you may want to think about how his quality of life is....can he still run around and play, is he active and everything (as active as an elderly animal should be), are his habits the same or have they degressed and think if he would be better off with the treatments for a while, or if he would only progress into a worse lifestyle.

If it does seem to be time to let him rest, then do your best to make the last few days the best he could have ever had....whip cream him, catnip him, give him cream or milk, and pillow him until he could never ask for anything else and make sure he is as happy as any cat could ever be.

trust me, it is hard to put your friend to sleep, but when you see their face finally relax when the end comes, you will feel better.

Keep him as long as you can, while keeping in mind his happiness and life quality, and then make the decision when the time comes....

Again, I am soo sorry to hear about your friend.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Oh no! That is terrible! Sooooo sorry!!

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Oh sweetheart, I am so sorry. My cat also had kidney failure...I gave her fluid IV for about five weeks, but she passed on her own terms.

But...I'll tell you this, and it might at least brighten your day a little bit. About three years before she passed, we had the same scare. She was really dehydrated and couldn't jump anywhere. Swayed around a bunch. I took her to the hospital, they hooked her up on an IV and she stayed with them for about five days. And then she was fine for three years, during which, you can bet she was loved and spoiled.

So, don't lose all hope...and if you can, definitely visit with a blanket from home for some quality time. We'll all be here waiting for updates. *hugs*

Take pics
    I am sorry to hear your news. I had the most wonderful cat for 18 years. I had to put her to sleep as she just plain wore out. Afterwards, I was sadden to discover that while I had lots of pics of her alone I only had 1 pic of her and I together. My suggestion to you is to take plenty of pics of you and Axl, pics of her and your family, pics of her and your friends. I know this won't ease her health but it will give you some comfort later on. My best to you.

Our animal friends tell us when they are ready. Give thanks that we are able to help them along when they are in pain. Remember, all the animal knows is the pain and discomfort, they don't understand that what we are doing is really helping them.
    You will know when the time is right and that won't make it any easier in the beginning, but as time passes, you will be at peace with you decision.
    It's hard sweetie, I know. Be strong for your friend who needs you to be the voice.

Dear pets truly are part of the family. You and Axl will be in our prayers.
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Hold him close and tell him you love him, if he'll let you. Cats are independent like that.

I'm at a loss as to what to say to ease your mind a bit. I think Rollerblader, Carolyn and the other posters did an excellent job of letting you know that you will recognize when it's time to let go.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. My roommate had a cat for 19 years who needed fluids to help with kidneys and other problems. She said the fluid helped her cat a lot, but her cat passed away after about a year of the treatment. Although her cat had many other problems as well, so try to stay positive.

You and Axl will be in my prayers, and I hope everything turns out for the best.

Rollerblader, amysolovay, Carolyn, Piper, guinness618, writerguy, AM@4checks, and Lanadili: Thank you so much for all of your kinds words and prayers, it really meant a lot to me.

The vet tried treating Axl with the fluids, but he wasn't improving, so yesterday, I took him to the vet to be put to sleep. It was very difficult, but I could see that he was starting to suffer and was ready to go.

Rollerblader: thank you for sharing your experience. I must have read your post 4 or 5 times over the past few days. It really meant a lot to me.

Carolyn: I am glad your cat recovered and was with you for 3 years - what a blessing that must have been.

Piper: Axl loved to have his picture taken, when I would have the camera out, he would always come over and pose. It was so cute. So I have so many pictures of him.

Thanks again to all of you!!

Online Marketing Consultant
    Hey, it's why Haiko has us here. It isn't just to help each other's businesses grow, it's to create a support base for when we have trying times in our lives; and because of this, many of us have developed life long friends at ABW.

Stay strong and remember that you gave him the best life he could have. It's hard to let a friend go but you both got to share tons of good memories with each other. It sounds like he had a great life with a loving family and that is more than most people and pets ever get. He was/is a very lucky guy and was very fortunate to have you as his friend.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I had to put a dog to sleep because he was in the final stages of kidney failure. It's very hard but you did the right thing.

The Fashionista
    I'm late seeing this but am really, really very sorry I understand how you must be feeling and know nothing's going to help for quite a while to make you feel better. I had both a dog who was about 22 and cat that was 18 that both got very sick and that decision had to be made. Definitely a very, very hard one to make. My dog had numerous problems but fortunately the vet said she actually wasn't in any pain til the very end (second that was noticed the decision was made) and my cat was discovered to have had a brain tumor and the kidney problem. He hadn't appeared to be in pain either til he had a seizure (I suppose from the brain tumor)That's when we found out everything that was wrong with him.

I know it had to have been a very, very difficult decision to make but hope maybe it helps you to feel just a teeny bit better to know that it was the right decision. Our pets are part of our families and when the time comes we don't want them to suffer. You gave Axl a great home and all your love, which is the best thing you could have possibly done for him. and I'm sure from the way you've spoken he definitely realized, felt and knew that, too.

I realize you're not thinking it now but getting a kitten or even an older cat will help when you feel ready to do so. Before I had the cat and dog I told you about earlier I had another dog that lived to be 25. After he passed away I didn't wanna ever get another pet but my brother had found this poor little puppy wandering around at night in a park (vet said she shoulda never even had been away from her Mother she was sooo young) After every possible effort was made to find an owner she was naturally adopted.

Ironically she looked like my first dog but definitely a different personality. So, I kinda thought maybe she mighta been a long lost relative lol and thought of her as his sister. Ya don't think it's possible, but you'll love that new pet, take care of it and it will help. I guess maybe it gives you another animal who's in need of your love and since you've got plenty of that, it'll make you feel better to channel your sadness into this new little critter that's found its way into your life and needs you. Honest, it'll make ya feel better and I think at least it's what my dog woulda wanted. He wouldn't want ya to be sad and he'd be happy you're helping another cat. My cat was a stray also found and desperately needed a home.

I babbled way too much but just wanted to tell you I'm really sorry and please don't have any regrets or anything for the decision. You didn't want him to suffer and he's not. You did everything you could to help him and gave him lots and lots of love. Wish I could say somethin to make you feel better.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I'm sorry about your cat. It is always sad to lose a family member. Don't forget to come to the ABW chat and socialize today.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. He's still young for a cat, and it's good that your vet says there's a good chance he'll improve. I'm sending good vibes Axl's way.

http and a telephoto
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    So sorry for your loss. The others, especially purplebear, have said it all, but let me add that it's difficult but you did the right thing. We learned the hard way.

Growing up, I would have done anything for a dog, but my family wouldn't hear of it (they had a legitimate reason that seemed right to them but it was tough for a kid to understand). When I left home, it was still impossible for me, until after I got married and we bought our house (yea, this hound never had a hound till he was an old married guy) and we bought a dog the day escrow closed. Boomer was a fabulous hound and he was my son. By 12, he was suffering from terrible arthritis, but we couldn't do it, and tried everything to keep him alive for another year. We learned that was the wrong thing to do - his last year was not a happy one for him or us. We learned a hard lesson from that, but did the right thing a few times since, with elderly, sick cats.

A few months after Boomer died, we found an amazing little puppy on her last day at the pound and while she could never replace Boomer, she is our Kasha, and every bit our daughter, as is her sister, Kugel, who we adoped from a rescue agency 4 years later, and as our 4 rescue cats are our other children (plus the human one, but she lives 1000 miles away and can't really take her out for a walk in the morning).
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I read your first post a few days I ago, and I hurt so badly for you. We had to put down our family dog a few years ago, and it was one of the toughest things I have ever had to do. We have two cats, one of them is 9 nine years old, and we have had her since she was only 8weeks....when we moved to our new house 3 years ago, she got out and went missing for a month...I cried nightly, thankfully, she was found and returned. Our pets become a member of our families, and the pain we feel when they pass is just as real as if it was a person.

I am so sorry about your loss....you are in my thoughts and prayers....Hugs.....

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    I'll be thinking of you. I hope you find peace in knowing that you loved Axl the way he deserved to be loved. When it was time, you made the right choice for him so that his suffering could be short lived.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

I am new to the forum, but anyone who has or has had a pet can feel for you. I am sorry you've had to experience this sadness. I hope you feel some solice in knowing shes in a great place and free from pain.

My thoughts are with you.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Arghh so sorry about your Axl, Fashionista - We're all crying right along with you, have been there and feel your pain.

He's in very good company right now, btw.

Remember the little guy with love in your heart - he'd like that.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I am so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing and remember The Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together…

I'm so sorry for your loss. You're in our prayers.

I had to put our cat down several years ago for the same issue. While it hurt dearly to lose our friend and companion, it was a relief that she no longer had to suffer.

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Hi, Just saw your post. So sorry. Thats a common problem in cats as they get older. Its terrible to lose a pet, they really are part of the family. I have 15 pets and worry about them all the time as they get older. I'm sure your cat had a great life.

We recently had to put our cat , Romeo, to sleep. Last Jan. - he was diagnosed with kidney problems and we had to give him IV fluids 3 times a week. We got his kidney count back to a better figure and then realized in March-April of last year that the cat food we were feeding him was on the pet recall list and we were literally poisoning our cat .... which I firmly believe was the cause. In December - his condition worsened dramatically in a weeks period and we were then giving him IV fluids every day.

Late one night - we took him to the pet emergency center and had X-rays done - cancer apparently had spread from his kidneys throughout his system and he was having problems breathing. We put him to sleep the next morning which was the saddest day of my life. I had anger at the pet food company, of course, as well as our "former" vet for not properly diagnosing the cancer and identifying the rather large kidney tumor. I really am sad thinking about all the animals out there who suffered and are suffering from the pet food recall situation.

We have recently brought a 4 year old cat now into our family that was in the pound and rescued by Adopt-a Pet. His name is Tobias and has helped ease our loss of Romeo.

Fashionista - you never will be able to replace Axl but hopefully some day you and another cat can help each other when you feel the time is right.
    Larry Wentz
    <a href="http://twitter.com/LarryWentz">Twitter.com/LarryWentz</a>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast