Assistance with rebuilding program
    Hi There,

I've been given back the task of trying to rebuild the affiliate programs for JewelryImpressions.com. We started our SAS program in October of 2004 but unfortunately, we let it slide through the cracks and after the initial set up we never really did anything further with the program. It has in essence been on "auto pilot" for the past few years, and needless to say we have only achieved a handful of sales.

I have just uploaded a complete product feed, and I am also in the process of going through and updating our banners and text links. I will be adding a couple of coupons, and plan on sending out an email to the affiliates offering them to contact me for special offers, coupons, etc.

So please, share with me any additional suggestions you may have. Seeing as our program with SAS never really "took off" I'm kind of looking at it as a fresh starting point and a great place for me to learn the "right way" to run the program! We are extremely serious in trying to make the program work the way it should and I will be devoting the attention to it that it needs. I have picked up a copy of Geno P's book, and already have learned many interesting things and I am only half way through the book.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and I am sure I will be picking everyones brains further in the future.

A.J. MacNeill
    Last edited by loxly; March 26th, 2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: removed manual sig. You'll get to add one after you've been here and participated.

Have you thought about hiring an Outsourced Program Manager to help you manage your program, so it can "take off"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    Have you thought about hiring an Outsourced Program Manager to help you manage your program, so it can "take off"?

We had hired an outside program manager that concentrated mainly on our older, larger program through CJ last fall. This did not go so well, and we have decided to take the managing back in house. I now have the time available to dedicate a substantial amount of time directly towards both programs so have been working on further education for myself on the programs.

I would greatly appreciate any feed back regarding our site, things we can do to make it more affiliate friendly right away. I want the affiliates to know that we are serious about making our program work and are willing to do whatever it takes (within reason and ability) to make it work. Taking note that we do have some limitations with regard to design elements based on our hosting service.

We had been self managed for a number of years and thrived with our older program. It was only when we had our attention diverted that we let the programs fade and now will have to work twice as hard to get them back. Since our SAS program is not as large I have a feeling it will be a bit easier to get it ramped back up!

Take a look through the links in my signature for some suggested reading that should help you.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The site needs a lot of work, I noticed that the right side navigation is broken on several pages and the layout doesn't instill trust for a jewelry purchase. I left you a voice mail with my contact information if you want to discuss other "things" I noticed and would recommend changes on.

Oh and WELCOME to ABW - the best resource you could have found for rebuilding your program!

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    The site needs a lot of work
    I agree.

I left you a voice mail with my contact information if you want to discuss other "things" I noticed and would recommend changes on.
    Please take her up on this offer and good luck with your program.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Take a look through the links in my signature for some suggested reading that should help you.
    Already picked up a copy of Practical Guide to Affiliate Marketing book, and I'm over half way through. I have already picked up several ideas as to a few little things about our program itself and links to change. So I'm sure the other 1/2 the book will be just as useful!

I'll check out the other links as well. Thank you for the suggestions!

ABW Ambassador
    There is a JewelryImpressions.com in CJ as well. Is there one network you prefer over the other? The contact address for the CJ program is @pepperjammanagement.com. Are you also in PepperJam?

Belonging to multiple networks is not a deal killer with me. However, the setup looks confused to me. It looks to me that someone at JewelryImpressions was just joining programs, but not putting effort in the program.

A strong program with one network might be better than weak programs multiple programs.

The CJ program shows a single bar and has a pathetic $3.02 EPC. The SaS EPC, of course, has been $0.00 for as long as I can remember. I was a member of the SaS program. I occasionally had sales, but never saw a commission. So, I hit the "quit" button.

To win affiliates. There needs to be a there there. For affiliates that means we have to see money making potential and a commitment to affiliates on the part of the merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    There is a JewelryImpressions.com in CJ as well. Is there one network you prefer over the other? The contact address for the CJ program is @pepperjammanagement.com. Are you also in PepperJam?

Belonging to multiple networks is not a deal killer with me. However, the setup looks confused to me. It looks to me that someone at JewelryImpressions was just joining programs, but not putting effort in the program.

A strong program with one network might be better than weak programs multiple programs.

The CJ program shows a single bar and has a pathetic $3.02 EPC. The SaS EPC, of course, has been $0.00 for as long as I can remember. I was a member of the SaS program. I occasionally had sales, but never saw a commission. So, I hit the "quit" button.

To win affiliates. There needs to be a there there. For affiliates that means we have to see money making potential and a commitment to affiliates on the part of the merchant.

That is our CJ program, I haven't posted in the CJ section on here yet but was going to shortly. We were with Pepperjam, and didn't see the results we were looking for, nor the feedback. I didn't want to mention names earlier because I don't want to cause a bunch of drama. We are no longer affiliated with PJ, and the contact information will be changing at anytime as we had to put in a request to change the superuser back to our information.

To give a bit more history and clarification as to why we have 2 programs set up...

Our CJ program has been up and running for many years and was growing continually. So we decided, from the recommendation of one of our long time publishers to start the SAS program in 2004. We had started an engraving company as well that was growing consistantly and thought that it would be a great way to promote both sites on both programs. They were/are set up virtually identical as far as rates, policies, links, etc (other than the work that PJ did to update links on the CJ program this past fall). We ended up having to pay much to much attention to the engraving company, and ended up neglecting not only the jewelry company itself but also the affiliate programs. The owner decided to sell the engraving company in 2007, and we spent all of last year converting JewelryImpressions.com from a static HTML website to a database driven site, with around 10,000 products in our "jewelry shopping mall" it was a definitely a huge task! We released the new site in September 2007, and have been going through a learning curve of changes in the major transition. The transition from a static to a dynamic site was definitely beneficial however as we will now be able to update our product feeds on a regular basis with ease whereas we use to have a difficult time doing so.

I know there were a few sales on SAS over the years that the commission did not compute but I always tried to keep on top of correcting it. I never received any form of contact as to any problems with sales not registering correctly or commissions not being paid. If you would have contacted me then I most certainly would have remedied the problem! I do apologize that you had a bad experience with our program, I do wish you would have addressed any issues with us. I hope that you may consider giving our program(s) a look in the future.

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry about the accusatory tone of the post.

The point I was trying to make is that an affiliate arrangements needs to have profit potential for the affiliate. Right now, you have to figure out how to break that resistance.

Zero EPC merchants have a chicken and egg problem. They won't get quality affiliates as long as the program is a zero. To break zero, they need good affiliates.

I am not a worthwhile affiliate. I sent 221 hits, had 1 sale and zero commissions.

BTW, I think the best way to revive your SaS program at this moment would be to build a widget and update the product links. You could then announce to the world that you have a widget and new product links. That might create enough momentum to break the resistance.

You really won't gain traction until affiliates see a profit potential.

Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    The point I was trying to make is that an affiliate arrangements needs to have profit potential for the affiliate. Right now, you have to figure out how to I think the best way to revive your SaS program at this moment would be to build a widget and update the product links. You could then announce to the world that you have a widget and new product links. That might create enough momentum to break the resistance.

You really won't gain traction until affiliates see a profit potential.
    They are working hard at making the necessary changes to their program to get it profitable for affiliates. Give them a chance to get all fixes in place, I believe this will be a great program after they are done.

She is committed to correcting this, and helping affiliates have all the necessary tools to be successful with this program.

ABW Ambassador
    JewelryImpressions was on my mind several months ago when I suggested that SaS develop a Merchant CPR process. SaS has a large number of zero EPC merchants that seem to have a good start on a program, but need a serious kick in the kiester to get it going. I am all for reviving merchants.

Overcoming inertia is a tough job.

I know it will be a bit of work. But I honestly think things will go well for us and ShareASale. It is not as overwhelming to me so I am focusing my direction at it. And after speaking to Rolet this morning I am feeling a lot more confident in what I am working on and towards.

By the way, the problem with the site showing rather badly in FireFox has been fixed, just a small menu problem that I missed when I implimented it. We're also in the process of changing a few things on the home page.

Unfortunately there are a few things like the colored band that runs across the top that we can't change due to our ecommerce program. We could change it to white but then there would be a pretty sizeable white space before any of the products. Thoughts?

ABW Ambassador
    How are things going with this program now?

I was interested in joining but the 60% reversal rate for the last 30 days, sent alarms going off. I understand that jewelry programs do tend to have more returned items but 60% seems rather high.

You are currently showing Low Funds, you really should consider being on Auto Deposit. Many affiliates won't even consider an affiliate program that isn't on auto deposit.

Its going really well. I have been getting new banners and text links up. I have the product feed in place with updates at least once a month. And we have had a few sales since April when I really picked up on promoting the program. I did get a newsletter out in both April and May. I'm currently working on the one for June so that I can hopefully get it out next week!

As for the reversal rate, we ran into a problem with a sale last week that generated itself 4 times. I am trying to get my receipt page changed so that it is nonrefreshable per the guidance of Nate at SAS, speaking to him and my hosting company we think this is what happened. But it was a very nice sale where the affiliate made a $53 commission! And I did give him a $5 bonus for the problems with the duplicate problems. It was this affiliates second sale for May so he had already earned the first sale $5 bonus that I have offered for the month of May.

We seem to have a few technical issues to work through with our hosting company and the SAS tracking code. I am still having problems with the transaction amounts showing up in the initial tracking but I always go in right away and correct it to the right amount, as once a sale goes through it currently will show up as zero but I can trace the IP address back to the correct transaction. And then we ran into the issue I mentioned above with the duplicates but hopefully that will be fixed by the weekend.

And yes, now that things are moving along much better I am going to set the account up to automatically replenish when needed. We had kept a minimal amount of money in there until we have started getting sales.

So I would have to say it is improving more and more everyday! I'll be uploading a product feed update today since I just finished an update to our religious jewelry section.

If you have any other questions just let me know and I'll be happy to help!

AJ

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks AJ for the update. You really have some great products and I went ahead and joined the program a couple of days ago. I hope all the tracking issues can be resolved quickly - no affiliate likes to hear about tracking issues. But sounds like those are being worked out. Please keep us updated on the progress.

Glad to hear you're going on auto deposit - good move.

Well, I think I'll take a chance and go put up a few links for you.
    Last edited by msladybug; May 22nd, 2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo

Thank you! And please, if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.

And just to clarify, regarding the tracking issue, the sales are getting tagged, it is just not pulling the amount over into ShareASale. So sales are definitely NOT being missed! I just have to adjust the 0.00 to the correct transaction amount. And the redundant transaction has only happened once, last week.

Just an update that Michael helped me today to finally get the tracking code corrected so that it captures everything that it is suppose to. The receipt page was suppose to be changed as well by our hosting company so that it is not refreshable.

Many thanks to Michael Littleton!

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread