Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    From Affiliate to Affiliate Manager
    I'm not quite sure exactly what I'm trying to ask, but the gist of it is for those affiliate managers and OPM's that once were (or still are ) affiliates, what made you jump into the program management side?

Was it the money (not asking specific amounts as that's tacky), was it that you wanted more of a challenge, or was it simply that's it's easier for you to be an AM than it is for you to be an affiliate?

I'm just wondering.

I really haven't ever been a REAL affiliate, but I get asked all the time why I do management instead of being an affiliate. My answer, I enjoy being on this side of it, I get to help out some really great people, get to meet some awesome people, but for me it is primarily about getting to be as diverse as I can be. My specialty is in Interactive Marketing, and not just affiliate program management. I get to use my skills to help my clients in their online marketing (not just Affiliate Marketing) and I get to pass on what I have learned, tools I love, conversion metrics, resources, landing page optimization techniques, etc. to affiliates who appreciate learning new things, and ways to increase their ROI's. I find my affiliates more pleasant to share things with, then say other interactive marketing professionals.

The money has nothing to do with it for me.

There is my quick - not very professional, perhaps to personal answer to this great question!
    Last edited by Rolet; March 26th, 2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: duplication of words

For me, it was initially the challenge of trying to establish B2b as viable. I don;t think enough affiliates are ready for that yet.

Secondly, it was the ability to work with such a wide variety of individuals, and facing the challenge of getting them to see things my way Some do, and some don't. And that's life, eh?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    I did it for a specific company that needed my experience. I still do it because there is a need for experienced Affiliate Managers. However there will be some upcoming changes in my business model No, I am not dropping managing, but there will be some ... changes ... hopefully that will be well received (so far private communication has the changes getting the thumbs up!)

My affiliate activities have dropped to almost non-existant, and my sites that used to be affiliate sites are now mostly focused on promoting my own products and on adsense. So I don't really do much "affiliate" stuff anymore. But the experience of being a full time affiliate in the past gives me a lot of insight into what is needed from merchants for the affiliates they want to have in their programs.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Thanks for answering guys. I can be so shallow, I just wanted to make sure there was more to it than the $.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Thanks for answering guys. I can be so shallow, I just wanted to make sure there was more to it than the $.
    For me the dollars have very little to do with it. For a merchant that won't listen they can pay me all they want and I won't manage them. For a merchant that is proactive, affiliate friendly and just needs assistance I will charge what they can afford to get them rocking.

It's all about helping people make money, both the affiliates and the merchants, and in my specific cases, my artists and shopkeepers.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I entered the world of affiliate marketing as an AM and a traffic buyer 5 years ago. I worked for one of the largest independent programs on the Web. From that perspective, I learned a great deal about the internal operations of an affiliate program, as well as the rigors of traffic acquisition. I also learned a lot from the affiliates I worked with, and most importantly I acquired a great deal of respect for them. Being an affiliate is hard work. Three years ago, emboldened by the education in traffic I had received working at a large program, and encouraged by the success I saw so many affiliates achieving, I started my own company (offering online marketing consultancy services, traffic acquisition and SEO) and I began to build a network of my own web sites, which I sought to monetize as an affiliate. I promoted programs of all kinds. It was then, from the perspective of an affiliate, that I truly appreciated what are the things that a program must do to make their affiliates happy and successful. Only when I became the guy on the other end of the phone (the affiliate), concerned for the status of a payment, confused about a policy change, or maybe just wanting to ask a dumb question and speak to a real human being, did I appreciate what makes for a great program, and a great AM. When I was an AM, I was always deeply concerned by the needs of my affiliates. But it wasn't until I became an affiliate myself, that I really understood them. Today I am back on the AM side, working for a company I am determined to see succeed as an affiliate program. I can honestly say that I would not feel anywhere near as confident as I do to manage a program and be responsible to affiliates were it not for my personal experiences as an affiliate. So, to answer your question, no, for me it's not just about the dollars. I am motivated by a great enthusiasm for the world of affiliate marketing and by a deep commitment to creating a program that is a joy for affiliates to be a part of.

Jack

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    I also was never an affiliate but am often asked why I don't just go out on my own and become an affiliate and put the money in my own pocket instead of the merchant's. So your question about money can probably be seen both ways - many feel there is actually more personal income in being an affiliate than working as an AM. For me, I think working with companies to grow their affiliate channel is very rewarding - its diverse, its stimulating, and its a people-person kind of job. But there is also a lot of client management that an affiliate does not deal with. It takes a certain personality to sell yourself a client, sign them on, keep them happy, and keep things moving in the right direction for both the program and the program's affiliates (while acknowledging your own lack of control over everything). Affiliates are their own business and their own independent entrepreneurs so at the end of the day, they answer to themselves. So I think if an affiliate wants to jump to the other side, it is usually because they are ok with the shift in their role and the kind of personality that goes with that.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Just in case my sig had you wondering I figured that I would give you my 2 cents worth also...

My schooling was in Aerospace Management and Business Admin. I love the affiliate routine. It fits my lifestyle right now with having 2 kids at home with me during the day. I mostly hang out on ABW during the day and then at night I hit my aff stuff hard. It kind of works out good that way due to the kids needing something every other min. or so.

There are 3 main reasons why I want to get into an OPM position. 1.) I like to manage people. Actually, not just manage but work toward goals. 2.) My youngest is almost out of diapers now. I feel my goal of being at home for both of our kids while babies has been accomplished. Actually, our youngest needs to get interacting with other kids his age, so this would be a great move for him also. Our oldest is going to day camp starting in June. 3.) I miss my own interaction with people through the phone and in person. 5+ years of staying home with the kids is enough to many any guy both a bit looney and a bit lonely.

Anyway, those are my personal thoughts on the matter. Yes, I know the thread is not about me. Just wanted to give you someone's perspective who was considering the change.

I can say for sure that it is not about the money. You look at the hours that these guys/gals put in and figure out the $/hr. I think it is more about the drive to prove that you can stimulate and magage people in an effective and efficient manner.

-sfcom

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread