Can anyone recommend any online contest software?
    I want to start running monthly contests on my site to generate excitement.
    I'm trying to find great software to handle this.

Can anyone recommend a software thats good for handling contests?
    Or any recommendations for doing contests?

thanks for any tips

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    It depends on what kind of contest you are talking about.

I dont even know what kinds of contests I want to run

Anything that generates more traffic.
    so maybe contests where people refer their friends and MySpace/FaceBook buddies, and get credit for referring their friends. And the people who refer the most win prizes.

And Id like to do it monthly.

I can give cash prizes or giveaways. Basically paying people to tell their friends about us. lol

Super Cool Affiliate Manager IanBookMan's Avatar
    Hi Marc,
    Im in the same position, i want to run a contest on my merchant store site.
    so i'm curious for any suggestions as well.

I don't want to take away from your post, but have you also considered the legal aspect of an online contest?
    One my biggest concerns was the legalities of running a contest.
    Maybe the ideal software would include that....

I was going to have users submit photo's or original drawings, painting, poetry, short-stories etc.
    Winner(s) get their work displayed and some type of credit/cash prize.
    The winner is picked by a small group of qualified staff members.

I dont really care about the legal aspect.
    Ive run 2 contests on my messagebaord and never had a problem. Since their only entry is to register on my board I doubt there are legal "damages" for money they lost as a result of not winning my contest.

The first contest was that everyone who had more than 20 posts would get 1 ticket and more than 50 posts would get 5 tickets, and more than 100 posts would have 10 tickets.
    I put their names in a bowl and picked one, and that was the winner. Pretty sad I know

The second contest was a writing contest where people had to write about the topic of my site and we just picked the best ones and gave them prizes.

They were Ok, but didnt generate much excitement.
    So I want to do a monthly contest, but want better ideas to run them.

As I said in the previous thread, you need to have your legal ducks in a row to run any kind of online promotion. There are state & federal regulations to consider for your protection, as well as your participants. Eligibility requirements (ie. no one under the age of 18 may participate, etc), as well as advertising/promotional law.

What seems like a fun idea could turn out costly if not handled properly. Having said that, it is a great way to attract customers/readers, and I believe there are 3rd party companies that can manage the process, including the regulatory requirements. My issue isn't finding software (check out hotscripts.com), it's the legal aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by marc100
    ... but regulators sure do. If you want to run a business, online or otherwise, you need to care.

thanks for the advice.
    I see messageboard contests all the time and have never seen an legal problem with them.
    - Guess the time of our millionth'th post
    - whever makes post #250 wins!
    stuff like that.

Have there been cases where people have sued small websites because they were in a contest?

I just have trouble believing that if I have a contest giving away $250 to whoever referrs the most friends to my site, that a disgruntled contest participant would go to a $300/hr lawyer to sue me because they didnt win. And that a lawyer would take the case.
    And that a judge would listen to it, and see that the person paid $0 to enter and only registered their email address, and would award them.
    And what would they award them? The $250?
    a million?

Talk about frivilous lawsuit.

http and a telephoto
    Contests are regulated by individual states and you had better be aware of the possible legal issues involved in contests. Some people may not care, but you better! If you are reported to various agencies and are found to not be following the rules you are the one that is liable for the consequences. They don't need a lawyer. They can just report you to a state agency.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Have you reviewed the steps these messageboards took to ensure they are compliant?

This isn't about a lawyer taking a case, or someone being sued, all it takes is a complaint to a regulator, and your website is discredited. Do you want to have to deal with that..? It's not about one party "suing another".. these are regulatory requirements. I won't press the point, just be careful in your approach.

Your WERE speeding! "But officer, I really don't care about the legal aspect of it."

The law is the law whether someone may sue or not...

X

You seem to be thinking that the only legal issue would be from someone who doesn't win - that's not the case. You run a worldwide website, and you need to be aware of the potential snags of running worldwide contests. Some countries, some states, don't allow their residents to enter certain contests - that's why you often see "void in Florida, Hawaii, and Texas" or some such notification. When I was involved with CafePress, they ran a contest where the prize was an iPod, and residents of England couldn't participate because of the legal issues.

Don't think that running a small website protects you from the law. Size doesn't matter - for real
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Talking

marc100 --> --> --> --> -->

We have way too many emoticons in this forum LOL
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal

marc100 --> --> --> --> -->
    Wow...you must have the icons positions memorized.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    My instincts tell me this may eventually lead to some trouble for you. There are people who troll for opportunities to threaten to take people to court. Do a little reading and check with your state's attorney general website.

I don't have the answers at all (sorry about that!), just suggesting you think about the potential liabilities further here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal

Smilie Master Strikes Again!

I LOVE this place!

X

Super Cool Affiliate Manager IanBookMan's Avatar
    I am so sorry I brought up the legal part- this is my fault we're getting off topic here.
    That's a topic for another thread.

This thread was started for online contest software.

Anyone know where to get?

sorry Marc......

Not off-topic at all, it was also posted here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=103078

No one is going to recommend software for something that isn't handled properly. The proper method (in an absence of legal resources) would be 3rd party services that handle the whole process. Otherwise just google "contest software", or look on hotscripts.com as I already mentioned.

Well I just spoke with my state's attorney general office and my states consumer protection office and they told me what I already knew, which is why I said I wasn't concerned with laws about small online contests.

The AG's office said that as long as Im not asking people for money, and not holding charity raffles or anything to do with gambling then Im fine.

The consumer protection office said that the internet doesnt fall under state regulations. There are no hard drawn lines for running a contest.
    The FTC handles spam, but Im not spamming. So I should be fine.

While I appreciate the concern, some people made it sound like Janet Reno was going to bust through my door with guns drawn and take me away for holding a refer-a-friend contest on a website that barely anyone knows about or visits.

Anyways, there you go

You did the right thing, and found the answers you need.

.. its a whole lot different from saying you don't care about the legal aspect, which is where people jumped in.

I think everyone was just trying to make the same point - there are no borders in what we do (I run a UK site as well as a dot-com), and we (all) need to be mindful of the possible repercussions of falling offside unintentionally. Me, I'm in Canada - I fall under different jurisdiction, and may not even be able to do the same as you.

Having said all this, check out hotscripts.com, they have scripts for every topic under the sun...

22. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread