Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fine! I bought an iPhone.
    After all this time (even though we are still with Sprint) I decided to buy an iPhone. I thought I might explain why.

I was on a business trip last week. I have a touchscreen laptop, iPod Touch (notice I am touchy?), and razr phone. I was trying to find some thing while out in my car driving around. Sure you can find hotspots, but 99% of them CHARGE for access and usually monthly. Since I was never likely going to use them again I saw no purpose in signing up.

It was very frustrating.

Needless to say my razr sucks. It is worthless to use for the internet or browsing. In addition I didn't have a sprint card to use in my laptop as our family already uses up all the "lines" on our sprint account with phones.

So out of pure frustration (and over a ribeye at Ruby Tuesdays) I walked into the Apple store and bought an 16GB iPhone.

I then proceeded to go back to the hotel and activate it which took all of about 5 minutes.

After about two weeks now of using it... I love it.

The google maps with the geo locator (locates the closest tower basically) helped me find my way around. I now don't have to tote my iPod Touch (much to my oldest daughters delight).

Then I realized how valuable such a device has become to me. From weather to stocks to checking my bank balances quickly and easily. Normally I HATE cellphones. I am not a big talker but it certainly has paid for itself in no time flat and is actually a joy to use for me.

I now can carry around a huge photo album to show off my kids to people. I carry a large itunes library (it won't hold all of my itunes libray but a good chunk) and since my new car has MP3 port it easily plugs right in where I used my iPod Touch before. No need to carry a camera, its right there (a decent one, not the best but good for the moment). E-mail and web browsing anywhere just about.

It has replaced my calculator even.

The list of pros is huge in comparison to any cons it has, and with iPhone 2.0 coming up it should prove even more valuable to me.

Now I am a mac user as well as many windows computers (around 16 at last count). I have owned an Apple since 1985 (still own the one I bought then) and have enjoyed using them. I was still very hesitant to get an iPhone. One I didn't want to switch to ATT, but now that ATT has an unlimited talk time plan for $99.99 it was worth it.

So there you go, just my opinion on the thing. I am very happy with the purchase and have not had a single buyers remorse, which is unusual when I by something expensive (for a phone it's expensive).

I have two questions...

Does browsing the internet on it make you impatient? (i.e. are download speeds fast enough?)

Does the $99.99 unlimited talk time plan include data too or is that a separate add-on?

Thanks. I've been thinking of getting one, but I'm reluctant to give up my Treo just yet.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Ohhhh, Jealous!
    I want one so bad. When my current contract with Verizon runs out I think Im going to get one.

So there you go, just my opinion on the thing. I am very happy with the purchase and have not had a single buyers remorse, which is unusual when I by something expensive (for a phone it's expensive).
    Since that is a personal and honest review of the iPhone, now you're going to make some of us go out and spend some green.

Thanks for posting all that info.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc100
    Ohhhh, Jealous!
    When my current contract with Verizon runs out I think Im going to get one.
    I can't give up my Verizon. Sure they are overpriced and their customer service leaves something to be desired, but darn it their service works! I get service everywhere and while others are struggling, I have all my bars.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    I have two questions...

Does browsing the internet on it make you impatient? (i.e. are download speeds fast enough?)

Does the $99.99 unlimited talk time plan include data too or is that a separate add-on?

Thanks. I've been thinking of getting one, but I'm reluctant to give up my Treo just yet.
    No, it's pretty quick internet. Sure it's not equal to cable or DSL, but decent. In addition it has built-in Wifi and when it finds a hotspot it logs right in and uses that instead for the internet which is nice as well.

The talk plan is separate. Initially I had chosen the basic $59.99 plan that includes 450 minutes, 200 text messages, and unlimited data.

Then once activated and setup I noticed the $99.99 unlimited talk plan and added it. It's primarily to avoid costs of calling and getting calls from my wife since it's no longer mobile to mobile as we still have sprint.

I don't really know what the final bill is this month, but will let you know.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Jealous here too, but waiting for 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Since that is a personal and honest review of the iPhone, now you're going to make some of us go out and spend some green.

Thanks for posting all that info.
    It has saved me twice already. One I got lost in a city. Then I noticed on google maps there was this little "button" on the left side bottom you can click. Next thing you know it located where I was on the map for me. I was then able to find where to go next.

Then I was buying a printer at Staples and my card was declined. Since I know there is plenty in the bank I was able to look up my bank account and saw I accidentally transferred the money OUT of that checking into the savings rather than the other way around (I was tired that morning). I then transferred money back in and made the purchase.

In addition just being able to have your itunes library in your car is wonderful. Rather than be bombarded with radio talk shows and all the commercials of normal stations I was able to jam to my own music for a 12 hour drive.

Let's also not mention the VISUAL voice mail where you get to scroll up and down on what you want to listen to is actually something totally unique and very productive.

I could go on and on about all the little things and how it's slowly becoming indispensable for me. I, am normally (if there is such a thing for me), that hates cellphones and PDAs. However it was joy to enter everyone's contact information into the phone including their addresses, e-mails, etc.

Also the ability to take a picture, and then immediately e-mail it to anyone in the world is really a fun thing to do.

Finally (for now) when connected to your computer it backs up everything including your contacts.

Oh no, wait... I also bought the video adapter so I can play movies from it to a TV. While it won't hold perhaps 2-3 movies that can help when the hotel doesn't have anything on you want to watch and you didn't carry any dvds with you for your laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Yeah, I think that's going to be my plan too.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I am definitely going to buy one of the new 3G iphones when they come out and give this one to my wife. I believe the 2.0 upgrade will be a firmware update for the current iphones so I am already set to go.

The google maps with the geo locator (locates the closest tower basically) helped me find my way around. I now don't have to tote my iPod Touch (much to my oldest daughters delight).
    Wait... iPhone has GPS?!

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Thanks for posting info nakedgamer. Glad your experience with it has been good so far. Been waiting for 2.0 here too since I heard a few friends complain about the data and online access speed slow and cost, but with some recent positives on it lately like yours, not sure how long we can hold.

I love mine. I never used my other cell phone much but I take my iPhone everywhere. I love it if I am sitting waiting for an appointment or whatever I can surf online. I have never had any signal issues, internet is fast.

When we got back from Summit in Miami last July - I stopped in an ATT store and "played with" an iPhone for a while. I even called my daughter (my techie daughter) to get a good voice test. It was fine, but I was determined to wait for version 2.

A short while later I saw Jill (daughter) and she wanted to see my new iPhone, but I had to tell her about waiting for Version 2.

She told me that I really did need to wait for Version 2 - WHILE USING VERSION ONE. An hour later I had my iPhone and had it activated shortly after that.

I have not regretted the "early" purchase at all. The mapping feature is absolutely great - it can "find" you and show you where to go. The WIFI also is great, automatic and very fast. And when I am out of WIFI range, the good ol' telly connection takes over. Sure that is as slow as a modem, but I can get a connection ANYWHERE - and use it to check email and surf the Web. The phone is also very good, and since Cingular and AT&T merged, I get "bars" all over the place.

I have the email service set up to work with my main three email accounts ( including AOL, POP version), and at home, often while watching TV, I find myself checking email.

The "only" drawback I have seen thus far is the absence of FLASH in the version of Safari included on the iPhone. But, everything else works - and works very well. The Preset weather screens are great, the calendar and calculator work well, instant messaging in well organized

Hey, Donuts, don't you remember us surfing one of your sites duding dinner in Vegas? Go, get one...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Beachy, flash is on the way and probably will appear at 2.0. I love the easy firmware upgrades too.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Beachy, flash is on the way and probably will appear at 2.0. I love the easy firmware upgrades too.
    Ahhhh, glad to hear that FLASH is near. And, yeah, I forgot to mention the easy updates. I plug into my laptop a couple times a month and if there is an update - it gets installed with one click. Love it, for sure.

I have a couple of video clips on board, but have not yet used the iPod feature. I have two nanos and seldom use them. I am usually within range of hard-wired tunes and my car has a multi disc CD changer, but no iPod input jack (and the iTrip is not as good a direct CD sound).

The camera is great for a phone. I did a baseball trip to Chicago last summer (after ASE) and took over 220 pictures. All of the daytime shots and some of the night shots are good enough to use on a Chicago travel site (if I ever get time to develop one).

Did I mention that I like this phone?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Did I mention that I like this phone?
    Why no, you didn't! Did I mention I love this phone also?

The nice thing is with the updates we get new "versions" without having to wait for new hardware. Unlike a phone that is what it is, with the iPhone they can give you new stuff with a software update.

I have an iPhone (no 3G) as well as an HTC TyTN (with 3G). Although browsing on the iPhone is a little slower, it doesn't have a real keyboard, and the phone interface is annoying sometimes, that's the one I carry with me these days. For me, the key benefits are its slim size, long battery life, and an excellent web browser...those far outweigh the drawbacks.

I'm also looking forward to an iPhone 2.0, but in the mean time I'm enjoying version 1.0.

For basic web browsing and checking email, the iPhone is great. But for more complex things (like ssh sessions, remote desktop connections, typing email longer than a few sentences, etc.) I have an Asus Eee.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    I am definitely going to buy one of the new 3G iphones when they come out and give this one to my wife.
    This was my plan too, but my wife's cellphone broke around Valentines day, so I ended up buying one for her too. I'll have to think of a new excuse for getting the 3G.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I don't know how I lived without mine !

Someone asked does it have GPS - no. It looks at cell tower information but is still pretty accurate.

Today I used mine to log into WHM/Cpanel and create a new hosting account. I also made sure I could use phpmyadmin and work on my databases while on the iphone. It's sweetness is my weakness.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    OK, I'm convinced. Gonna get one, too

Thanks for the in depth review NakedGamer. Good job! Now go make a site and sell them to everyone. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

(as I sit here on abw from the iPhone)

You will not be disappointed. Expensive? Does it make you more productive? Yes.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Another thumbs up for the iPhone. I've had mine for a couple months now and I love it!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I can't justify trying to get out of my Verizon contract for it, but when it's up, I'm going to get one.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast