I have a merchant who owes me a small payment from two years back - but they refuse to answer my emails.

The amount in question is a piffling $43 - but it's not the cash that's important to me - it's the principle - I hate being ripped off.

They obviously want me to give up emailing them and write it off - but why the hell should I !!

I could try picking up the phone, but it seems stupid to spend money on international calls to try to recover such a small amount

Has anyone any method they care to share about how they got a merchant to cough up.

If you have your own domain and the ability to setup new email addresses, you should setup legal@yourdomain.com, then CC it in your correspondence to create a sense of seriousness. Beyond that, you'd have to start calling. It's up to you how much work is too much to be worth it.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com
    jflores@affiliatefuel.com

TieBreaker,

If you want, I'll be more than happy to call and give them some "pressure"

PM me any details.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Has anyone any method they care to share about how they got a merchant to cough up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After receiving the run-around from a deadbeat (Them: "It's the Network's fault! They aren't cutting the checks" Network:"It's the Merchant's fault--they didn't pay!"), and then getting VERY nasty emails from the merchant when I didn't buy their excuse, I finally responded (to the *merchant*), "Well, I'll let my lawyer and the courts figure out who to sue."

The check came the next week. Paid by the merchant, cleared by the network, and in my hand! Funny how fast that was cleared right up!!

I would have figured that That Network had been sitting on the money, since they were totally unhelpful and responded very dodgily themselves, but the 1000-degree flames the merchant sent were a clear admission of guilt IMO. Innocent parties usually do not flame when someone comes to them with a legitimate concern (I was polite until flamed. Then I blasted 'em from here to China!) Plus, it was the merchant that I threatened with suit, not the network.

The check in question was for over $500, which may have added credence to my threat to sue for it. Plus, New York's not all THAT far from me...they knew I could show up in the relevant court without much trouble at all!

I will note that this only got me the FIRST check owed. The commissions I had earned for the next payment period have never been seen. (I hadn't realized they were a deadbeat until halfway through the second payment period, at which time I ripped their links!) The second check was much smaller, although above the minimum payment, so I wrote it off.

I have had to dun for little checks, too--$37 from one place. They didn't hide from my emails but gave the "check lost in the mail" excuse. I let them know, politely but firmly, that I didn't believe it when they tried to run it the second time (referring to the SAME payment--they were trying to say the "replacement check" was ALSO lost!), and finally a check showed up. In this case, I threatened to rip their links "until the post office found it". Oh-so-surprisingly, they "found it" in about 3 days! (This was in a very competitive category where merchants selling the product are a dime a dozen at all networks.) No flames were involved in this incident.

I think keeping the threats in line with what I was really willing to do about it helped.

If it were to happen today (Heaven forbid), I would hire a collector. I saw a new one last week at one of the networks (forgot which one--I did a quick check just now at CJ but no luck. Maybe Performics or Sas?) that'll send out dunning notices for under $20. (Prices go up if you want them to do more.)

Since the place you want the money from ignores emails, having the collectors call them (or you call them, if you don't mind earfuls of BS and runaround) instead would probably have a better chance.

Good luck!

~Revenue is King

Profitman - great tip !

Haiko - thanks, I may take you up on that

Leader - my amount is too small for that approach unfortunately - they would know I was bluffing.

I have just fired off another email - this time threatening to contact their other affiliates to see if they are having problems with non payment - let's see if this approach works - they may think their reputation is worth paying $43 for!

We are going to start reporting deadbeats to their local BBB as an added inconvenience to them. Has anyone ever done that?

If the company is listed with the BBB then this is definitely a viable threat you could use. I would recommend telling them that you plan to report them to several agencies and find out which ones are most important to them. Also, if they require any kind of license for their sort of business, even a resellers license, you could threaten to contact the governing organization for that as well.

Some examples are:

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (in their state)
    BBB
    Federal Trade Commission
    Consumer Reports
    Consumer's Union

You could even be so blunt as to tell them that you don't have anything better to do than to make life very difficult for them. I'd find even more applicable agencies than what is listed here and let them know that you plan to contact all of them if your check is not received within 5 business days...then, have Haiko call them, he handles himself very well on the phone.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com
    jflores@affiliatefuel.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread