Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Plugin for setting expiration to WP Post? or for managing coupons?
    hi,
    After a week of searching and trying different plugins I've come up empty.

I'm looking for a way to make my merchant/OPM coupon and promo spam into something useful.

I would like a plugin for wordpress that would let me set an expiration date on a per post basis so that a coupon that expires tomorrow would no longer show up on my site tomorrow.

The posts I've found either:
    1. delete all posts at a set period of time
    or
    2. only disable the post from "the loop" however it still shows up on categories and archives which makes it useless. I'd expect people to see coupons by clicking on the coupon category not by browsing the front page.

There really isn't one that does this? Maybe I'll whip one up this weekend (gotta finish my taxes first... ugh).
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Well, I have one that I THINK works right, but just does expiration dates... that it, once a day, it expires everything that should expire (at midnight). I need a couple more days to make sure it works right. Tests happen when the expire occurs are midnight, so testing is slow...

Do people need a finer grain expiration than daily? Hourly?

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

jrrl, so the one you are working on expires (deletes) the entire post, right? Just wanted to make sure I understood right. Sounds great so far.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by jrrl
    Well, I have one that I THINK works right, but just does expiration dates... that it, once a day, it expires everything that should expire (at midnight). I need a couple more days to make sure it works right. Tests happen when the expire occurs are midnight, so testing is slow...

Do people need a finer grain expiration than daily? Hourly?

-John.
    I just need posts to expire (be deleted) on the date set on a per post basis. If no date is set then a post shouldn't expire.

I'm very excited about this. Thank you for working on it. I'm sure others who use Wordpress would also benefit from it for managing coupons and other date-specific promotions.

A very appreciated plugin! The community would appreciate very much!

I think I could find some uses for this too. Thanks so much for working on it.
    Generate more fake news.

Just a quick update. I am running a couple days of tests under WP 2.5.1 and if all goes right, the plugin should be out this weekend. (I'll be out of town from Wednesday until Friday or it would be out sooner.) Sorry for the delays. Life, ya know?

-John.

It will make my weekend :-)

Life's full of wonderful surprises!
    Thank you so much for working on this!

Cheers, and happy pre-May Day!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'll line up for this plugin too.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    1. delete all posts at a set period of time
    I could use this kind of deletion, too, on some other blogs of mine. After all, most merchants don't keep everything in stock forever. Is it found on the official WordPress site, or~?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I'll line up for this plugin too.
    Originally Posted by lostdeviant 1. delete all posts at a set period of time
    I could use this kind of deletion, too, on some other blogs of mine. After all, most merchants don't keep everything in stock forever. Is it found on the official WordPress site, or~?
    The plugin that has that not-so-beneficial feature, I found with a Google search. I don't remember if it is on the wp plugin list or not. Of course that plugin was useless for me, since I need to delete certain posts when their promotions expire not lose everything. I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Some details about the plugin I've hacked together (and which took waaaay to long to finish given that it is actually a tiny amount of code):

Expiration dates are set by adding a custom field "Expiration Date" to posts that you want to expire. The date you put (in YYYY/MM/DD format) is the last day the post should remain. The first time someone looks at a page on your site after midnight at the end of that date, it will trigger a background process (via WP's cron feature) that will delete all the posts wit an expiration date earlier than the day that started at midnight.

Two caveats.

1. When the plugin is activated, it won't trigger until after midnight THAT NIGHT. So, even if you have stuff set up to have expired the day (or week or whatever) before, it won't go away until after midnight.

2. This uses WP's cron feature, so posts aren't deleted until AFTER the first page view after midnight. This means that first page view MAY contain posts that will expire seconds later. I'll try to figure out a way around this (probably something that causes the page to reload after 1 second if cron is triggered), but it won't be there day 1. Still better than having to expire things by hand.

Does this sound useful?

-John.

Quote Originally Posted by jrrl
    Some details about the plugin I've hacked together (and which took waaaay to long to finish given that it is actually a tiny amount of code):

Does this sound useful?

-John.
    That sounds perfect especially the part about having it run on the first site view after midnight.
    I can hardly wait to test it on my wordpress-mu sites too.

John:

Thanks for working at making this easier. Technically, the Custome Field was capable of doing that already, but I, like Marcia earlier in another post, haven't figured custom fields out yet.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Couldn't you just set up a cron that runs at 12:01am (or midnight or 11:59pm) every day? Or do they work different with WP?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Couldn't you just set up a cron that runs at 12:01am every day? Or do they work different with WP?
    I was thinking the same thing. I am just getting started with WP and I have added a couple of scripts because I wanted to keep track of clicks to individual links via a clicks page (there may already be some type of plugin for this, but it was quicker just to add a small script). Couldn't you set up a piece of code that could run whenever you choose. It wouldn't be a plugin but should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Couldn't you just set up a cron that runs at 12:01am (or midnight or 11:59pm) every day? Or do they work different with WP?
    Either that or just don't display expired posts on the fly. I don't see any reason to use the cron or wait for the first view after midnight. The code could just check the expiration date during any page view and only show the current posts.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Well, WP's cron feature is not real cron, which is why it gets messed up. WP's cron is triggered by page views, so no page view == no cron job. I was going to just do it on the fly at each page view, but I thought it would be tidier to just nuke them at midnight and didn't realize the limitations of WP's cron feature until I had it mostly working.

I'll probably fix it after I get this out, but I just want to have it released so I can avoid my typical neverfinishitis.

-John.

I really like how it is set to work right now. To implement real cron jobs would mean we'd have to go through extra configuration steps and that would be a pain for affiliates with many sites.
    Have you tried your plugin on Wordpress-mu yet?

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I really like how it is set to work right now. To implement real cron jobs would mean we'd have to go through extra configuration steps and that would be a pain for affiliates with many sites.
    Have you tried your plugin on Wordpress-mu yet?
    I have not tried it with wordpress-mu. I'll see if I can this weekend, but I'll probably get it out the door first.

My big concern with doing things with on-the-fly query filtering is that (because of how WP builds its queries) it would have to add another JOIN clause to each query. On a low volume site (like all of mine put toget.her) this wouldn't be a big deal, but if you get a lot of traffic it might not be so cool.

-John.

jrrl - any news on this?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

It all SEEMS to be working (and has been for a while, but I've been sick, my kids have been sick, etc.)... I just get nervous distributing anything with a call to wp_delete_post in it. If anyone would like to beta test it (with all the spooky caveats the word beta implies), PM me.

-John.

PM sent

Beta test
    I would love to beta test this plugin, can you send it to me? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast