Coupon code vs Discount passed in Affiliate URL
    Hi -- I ran this idea across several of our affiliates but am hoping to get a more "general" consensus. We currently run 10-20 affiliate coupons each quarter using a coupon code that the customer must input during checkout at our site.

We are thinking of moving to a url-based discount whereby the customer simply clicks the link and the coupon code is passed in the url - and so no need to input a code at checkout. Also, no "scraping" of coupon codes since the links will always have the affiliate's id.

Yeah? or Nah? to the idea? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

Many affiliates prefer it in the link. I prefer the actual codes for a couple reasons:

1) I feel like it's easier to present to consumers.
    2) It's easier to keep track of and distinguish from other codes.

Even with a code, though, I really like it when the link can prepopulate the coupon code in the cart/checkout.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you Michael for the great reply, as usual. If we change to url-based how can it be presented to meet you needs? Obviously, I can't provide a url-pased-oupon AND a "enter at checkout" coupon as this could potentially apply two discounts.
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

A specific URL link is handy in a PPC context.

ABW Ambassador
    "We are thinking of moving to a url-based discount whereby the customer simply clicks the link and the coupon code is passed in the url - and so no need to input a code at checkout."

I prefer that over a code for many reasons** gone over in the past. What would be helpful with those kind of codes are:

If it went to a landing page explaining the coupon/deal, acknowledging it also:

Show the discount at checkout so the customers can see that indeed a discount was taken out.

You'd be surprised that this doesn't happen all the time even with the code type of coupon.

**Prevent scraping
    **Prevent customers from just coming and copying codes off of coupon sites and those sites getting 0
    **Easier for customers, they just have to click the link.
    **Higher conversions, fact

Much better than code.

I definitely vote for a coded link.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I would prefer a coded link, too. And from the consumer end, I'm always slightly nervous that the promised discount won't apply, so having it show up clearly at checkout is good.

I used to think the links would be good, but I've changed my tune because of some negative feedback from users, so now I encourage the actual code to input.

With the link clicking it's more difficult to explain to users, and sometimes weird things happen.
    Like on the link ones, I need to tell the user to click the discount link, then click the product link, but i find that sometimes that's a pain, because they need to come back to my site, and dealing with multiple windows or trying to go back is not so easy. Also, sometimes the affiliate product link will overwrite the discount, which really sucks.
    With an actual code, i just say to copy the code, then click the product link and ctrl-v the code at the appropriate place.
    I guess a straight coupon-site might do okay with the links, but for me, i promote products, so it's just not an easy single click that way.

The biggest thing for me is distinguishing coupons from one another when it's just a link. I use automated feeds from all the networks plus ForMeToCoupon.com. Many times, there are dozens of links for a single coupon. With the coupon code, I'm able to match everything up and avoid all of that duplicate data. Without the coupon code, I have to manually try to figure out which links are distinct coupons, find a way to distinguish them, etc. If I have 6 identical coupons from a merchant, I can list them all with the distict coupon codes. If I have 6 identical link-based discounts, it's a nightmare to keep track of all of them.

Add to that the fact that most merchants reuse links, and it's virtually impossible to ensure that you're using the right links for link-based discounts.

I also think that consumers are more receptive of coupon codes than link-based discounts. They're used to the offline experience of having a physical coupon and having that code is the closest online analogy. I don't have hard numbers to back it up, but I feel strongly that people value a code more than link.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I strongly prefer coupon codes. I like links to go along with them, reinforcement of the coupon code details on the landing page, details about the discount in the cart and checkout, etc., but the coupon codes are the most essential part to me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    I think Michael has a good point, and ReallyBigGuy. It isn't about what the affiliates want, it is about what the consumers want and will use. A discount via a link isn't valuable if consumers can't figure out what the heck it is.

Consumers are used to coupon codes, whether we like it or not.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Based on conversions, consumers know how to read and click links so that argument doesn't hold up. It's really pretty easy. Get 10% off your order, click this link, discount at checkout etc.

10% off all orders using coupon code DISCOUNT at checkout.

10% off all orders thru this link, discount at checkout.

Not hard, I don't see that one is more confusing than the other.

I can understand the case that ReallyBigGuy brought up. If you're pushing products then a code will work better. So merchants can provide both, some merchants do. And testing both ways out with merchants that provide both, it's night and day in the conversions. Links convert better on coupon sites.

"I don't have hard numbers to back it up, but I feel strongly that people value a code more than link."

10% off is 10% off. If you want to test it out, I can give you a few merchants that have it both ways, where you can use a link or code. And then you can post the results here. I've tried enough of them out in the past that given the choice, I'm always going to pick the link. 4 of the reasons I posted above and consumers are fine with them.
    Last edited by Trust; March 27th, 2008 at 11:11 PM.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I like codes that have a discount link as well. People actually like to see the code, but it's easier when the link automatically takes the discount, and goes to a page that explains it. Merchants do it all the time.

That's the best of both worlds and seems to be a combo of what everyone has already said.

Codes=Yes
    Links =Yes

Codes + Link=Yes, Yes!

How would you feel about something like this:

- *Unique* link for each coupon, with code in URL (/index.php?disc_code=SAVEBIG...)
    - Promotion specific landing page for that URL
    - Clear header image stating the discount that remains during the session (i.e. Overstock)

The unique link would solve Michael's problem of duplicates, the landing page is a given, and the header image would alleviate any shopper worries of, "Did the coupon actually work?"

Quote Originally Posted by adambha
    How would you feel about something like this:

- *Unique* link for each coupon, with code in URL (/index.php?disc_code=SAVEBIG...)
    - Promotion specific landing page for that URL
    - Clear header image stating the discount that remains during the session (i.e. Overstock)

The unique link would solve Michael's problem of duplicates, the landing page is a given, and the header image would alleviate any shopper worries of, "Did the coupon actually work?"
    I like it, as long as that code: SAVEBIG could also be entered, so I could just do a product link, and tell them to enter the code at checkout.
    Those overstock ones are the ones I hate, the user loses the coupon when they come back to click a product link, and it's confusing.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I prefer codes, but links work for me too. All your coupon affs should be able to handle either one. You might offer both and let us choose.

Links do ensure a cookie is always set, so it wouldn't surprise me if most affs said they prefer links over codes. Links present the merchant with some advantages and some disadvantages, but either way it works out for you specifically, links likely raise your affiliates conversion rates.

coupon codes
    If the consumer is searching for "coupon code" don't you think they want to find a coupon code?

ABW Ambassador
    ? Of course. And pages are optimized for that term whether it's a coupon thru a code or thru the link. The ideal would be just to have both available and then the affiliates can decide which one they want to use. And you can use Lamps Plus as a model for that - http://www.lampsplus.com/index.aspx?a=24AFFDC6

Save $5 Off Your Purchase of $50 or More!

Your coupon code 24AFFDC6 has automatically been entered into your shopping cart. Your discount will be applied upon checkout.
    Expires: 6/30/2008

That's how you do it. That's a landing page for one of the coupon links. Now if you didn't want to use the link, you can just use the code found on that page.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread