Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    The Time of Day
    Geno touched on it a little in his book.

But I am curious with actual results. Do you notice times of the day where you get more sales? Do you have particular days of the week that are busier or slower than others?

I know there are variables such as the products you are promoting and the audience you are promoting toward.

But it would be interesting to see if there was a consensus or pattern.

Interesting our straight SEO targeted affiliate sites do best Sundays and Mondays and Wednesdays. Saturday seems to be slower.

The busiest times for orders appears to be between 2 - 6 pm.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall

Interesting our straight SEO targeted affiliate sites do best Sundays and Mondays and Wednesdays. Saturday seems to be slower.
    I agree with this

The busiest times for orders appears to be between 2 - 6 pm.
    This depends on what part of the world that the traffic is originating from.

It is also interesting (To ME) that product tastes vary from region to region and country to country.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I've had a consistent pattern the nearly 9 years that I've been in affiliate marketing. Traffic and sales pick up during the work day and peak mid-afternoon, is steady (but slightly lower) in the evenings, and then is lowest overnight. Saturday is my slowest day. Sunday is next slowest, but picks up in the afternoon. Friday is next slowest, which peaks a little after noon. Tuesday is usually my busiest day of the week, but Monday through Thursday are usually all pretty close. Most holidays see a decline in traffic and sales.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Saturdays and Sundays are slow for me, with Saturday being slower than Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I've had a consistent pattern the nearly 9 years that I've been in affiliate marketing. Traffic and sales pick up during the work day and peak mid-afternoon, is steady (but slightly lower) in the evenings, and then is lowest overnight. Saturday is my slowest day. Sunday is next slowest, but picks up in the afternoon. Friday is next slowest, which peaks a little after noon. Tuesday is usually my busiest day of the week, but Monday through Thursday are usually all pretty close. Most holidays see a decline in traffic and sales.
    My niche is mainly travel, but my patterns are not too far off from those Michael described.

My "slowest" stretch of time is from just after lunchtime on Friday until Sunday afternoon. Monday through Thursday is always good, with Tuesday and Wednesday consistently being the best days of the week.

During the week, the morning usually starts off good - people must be surfing for places to go with that morning coffee in hand. I see another surge during the lunch hour, and again in the late afternoon. The dinner hour is usually slow, but things pick up again from about 7:00 to 9:00.

Those time frames seem to be related to Eastern Standard Time because my main markets are on the East Coast. However, my "nation wide" travel sites follow a similar pattern but are more spread out - given the three time zones across the country.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    What some previous posters said.

Weekdays are better than weekends for sales online because:
    1. a lot of people shop online at work
    2. weekends are more for family time or shopping at actual malls, ones they need to drive to, free time to do other things etc.

And the after work hours it looks like 19:00 - 19:59 is the best, I'm guessing that's getting online after dinner, do a little shopping. That's on 6 years + worth of stats of basic shopping traffic.

This is another example of the differences between "what people say" and "what people do". According to Geno's survey, evenings and weekends are by far the time when people say they shop online. Yet in practice they do it during the work day.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Oh yeah, that's just wrong. It's definitely weekday over weekend in both traffic and sales. And I have to admit when I first started, I thought it would be weekends because people have more time but I didn't know people shopped that much from work at the time.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I've seen the same numbers for the same amount of time.

Saturday is lowest, followed by Sunday. By Friday afternoon there is a decided drop in action, both clicks and sales.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

This is another example of the differences between "what people say" and "what people do". According to Geno's survey, evenings and weekends are by far the time when people say they shop online. Yet in practice they do it during the work day.
    Absolutely. On my B2B and consumer sites, Monday mornings are always my best times followed by Friday afternoon. The rest of the work week is pretty even with weekends being my worst days of the week.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Don't want to admit they're surfing on the boss' dime.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I don't have much affiliate sales history to go on yet, but I suspect it will closely follow our website stats since it's a commerce site.

The following are visits over time; month, week, and hour.

Right after the first and fifteenth of the month are busiest.
    Mondays tend to be the busiest.
    Around noon and again early evening are busiest.

I've seen unexpected huge spikes around one or two in the morning and other times too. It sometimes makes no sense.
    The site wasn't formally indexed by Google until about the tenth of this month except on Google Base. I submitted a sitemap to Google and visits have begun to pick up and get more even.
    Attached Images Attached Images

X

Losing Pips??
    That's weird. I'm suddenly losing my pips...

X

I have noticed within certain verticals the conversion times can vary greatly.

For instance what I have seen with conversions for PPC traffic (remember I have worked for advertising agencies before I was with Rolet, these are not affiliate sales, but direct client conversions):

Bank - Student Loan completed applications - m - th 2pm to 10pm fri & sat 10am to 2pm and Sundays 5pm to midnight - best day of week Sundays

Bank - Mortgage applications - m - f 8am to 3pm dead on the weekends - best day of week - Mondays
    Bank - Auto applications - m - f noon to 5pm and 8pm to 10pm sat & sun - 8am to 2pm
    best day of week - thursday and friday

Animal Pharma - M - F 10am to 3pm & 7pm to 19pm sat all day and sunday noon to 9pm - best day of week - saturday

Fast Food - the client I am thinking of was converting to a printed off coupon for a free product at their location - m - f 11am - 2pm & 4pm - 6pm sat and sun - dead best day of week - wednesday

Each industry has a specific consumer segment that converts at various times throughout the day or the day of week...and mind you these examples above are based upon elaborate key word campaigns with 5 figure monthly budgets....everyone will see something different based upon where the traffic is coming from, the vertical and how they choose to "brand" themselves.

I always recommend, that if you know the days that convert the best for you, and where the traffic is coming from, you should maximize your efforts on those days to increase your conversions....whether it is a "special" you run that day of the week, adding more money into your PPC campaign, purchasing some banner placements on the sites that are sending you traffic, encouraging sign ups for your newsletter....

Right, different industries will vary.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread