Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Update to 4Checks Terms & Conditions
    Hello,

I have found it necessary to update our terms and conditions with information that specifically addresses direct to merchant paid search advertising. Effective April 4, 2008 this will no longer be an acceptable means of promotion for our affiliate partners.

To specify the changes to our agreement, the following verbiage has been added:

Paid Search Advertising:

4checks.com does not allow direct to merchant trademark bidding by affiliates engaging in paid search advertising in any PPC engine, including but not limited to Google, Yahoo and MSN, for the 4checks brand term or for any brands featured on 4checks, which include:

The Check Gallery
    Artistic Checks
    Message!Products
    Identity Check Printers
    LifeChecks
    The Styles Check Company
    Unique Products
    Image Checks
    Classic Checks
    Check Crafters
    4Checks
    Custom Direct

Affiliates are also not to use any of the above brand names in the display URL of a paid search advertisement.

Again, we do not allow direct to merchant trademark bidding on 4checks.com or on the above listed brands featured on 4checks.com. Affiliates that do bid on the above terms MUST send all of the traffic first to their own site. The customer can then click through from the affiliate site to the products on 4checks.com.

Affiliates found in violation of this policy are subject to punitive actions by us, without notice, including but not limited to: suspension of affiliate account; termination of affiliate account; withholding of payments to affiliate; and public notification of affiliate's suspected malfeasance.

As always, feel free to contact me with any questions. Thank you for supporting the program and promoting the products!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Kim, does that policy apply to trademark bidders only, or to all PPC affiliates of 4checks? I'm wondering specifically about this:
    Affiliates are also not to use any of the above brand names in the display URL of a paid search advertisement.

Hi ghoti,

This does apply to all affiliates that engage in PPC for 4checks.

Basically, I am requesting that the trademarked terms I listed do not appear in display URL's.

Hope this helps. I welcome any further questions. I'll be away from my desk for a bit, but will answer ASAP when I return.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Suggest you go into your SAS merchant account and visit:
    Account Settings | PPC Bidding Rules

What you enter there is presented to affiliates and is the place most ppc affiliates go to first to check out what's permitted and not.

Great policy change by the way, these folks were not adding any value to your program - smart move on your part!!!

ABW Ambassador
    It probably would be easier just to say no direct to merchant PPC whatsoever. Because in order to do that, they would need to have those terms in the display url.

"Great policy change by the way, these folks were not adding any value to your program - smart move on your part!!!"

I've never understood the difference. TM bidding direct or to a landing page. How is one no value, while the other is?

4checks.com does not allow direct to merchant trademark bidding by affiliates engaging in paid search advertising in any PPC engine, including but not limited to Google, Yahoo and MSN, for the 4checks brand term or for any brands featured on 4checks, which include:

The Check Gallery
    Artistic Checks
    Message!Products
    Identity Check Printers
    LifeChecks
    The Styles Check Company

Unique Products
    Image Checks
    Classic Checks
    Check Crafters
    4Checks

Custom Direct

Hi, I have a question for future reference.

Affiliates found in violation of this policy are subject to punitive actions by us, without notice, including but not limited to: suspension of affiliate account; termination of affiliate account; withholding of payments to affiliate; and public notification of affiliate's suspected malfeasance.
    What do the Unique Products or Custom Direct keywords, have to do with any merchant brand that would be a cause for that accion?

Where can be found that Unique Products or Custom Direct are brand names of any merchants?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    There's more to this than what I wrote below, but the most important points are covered.

Direct:
    +Since only one ad can show per domain for a given search, it displaces the merchants own ppc for their own business name and domain name.
    +Merchant doesn't need affs to do this activity for them, they can either do it themselves or choose to not have ppc ads show for they domain name (they will be the first seo results).
    +Gives super high roi traffic away to people doing nothing but bidding on "domainname.com", often using the same ad text as the merchant themselves.

Landing Page:
    +Occupies another PPC spot for searches on their name, abates poaching competitors (of the merchant) somewhat.
    +Can still be problematic in some instances. Example, if I found an affiliate of 4checks bidding on their name, but the landing page of their checks site showed just checks unlimited checks, then obviously, this doesn't benefit the merchant and they should choose to stop it.
    Last edited by Donuts; March 28th, 2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added "(of the merchant)" for clarity

Let me explain my question better.

When I say:
    Where can be found that Unique Products or Custom Direct are brand names of any merchants?
    I'm talking about the keyword "Unique Products" and the keyword "Custom Direct".

For example:

Supose I have a gift website and I want to promote "Custom Direct Gifts" like personalized gifts, and I have a banner for 4checks on that gifts website.

How can I be in violation of using the keyword "Custom Direct" for 4checks, if to the best of my knowledge, the keyword "Custom Direct" can't be a brand name of any merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    It probably would be easier just to say no direct to merchant PPC whatsoever.
    Agreed. Kim, you're basically allowing no direct to merchant traffic at all (as long as affiliates follow the search engines' rules), so there's not really a need to make the wording so lengthy.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I think its a great move Kim!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

There goes a significant amount of work down the drain for me. Lots of wasted time and effort.

So I guess the people thinking it's such a great idea, were not DTMing at this time.

Just to be clear: I'm talking about DTM only - not trademark bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Suggest you go into your SAS merchant account and visit:
    Account Settings | PPC Bidding Rules
    Good point. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    What do the Unique Products or Custom Direct keywords, have to do with any merchant brand that would be a cause for that accion?

4checks.com features the products of numerous brands, one of which is Unique Products . Custom Direct is our corporate name and we are choosing to protect that trademark as well. However, if you are bidding on these keywords and sending the traffic first to your own site, that is allowed.

Example: bidding on the term Check Gallery, Custom Direct, Artistic Checks, etc.

Allowable Practice: Sending the traffic directly to a landing page or web site
    Violating Practice: Sending the traffic directly to 4Checks, Check Gallery, etc.

@Ghoti and Trust -

You're right. In my attempt to explain our stance and avoid confusion, I may have over complicated things a bit. I just wanted to state the obvious in case the obvious wasn't so obvious.

Mr. Jones -

I realize that your time is valuable. I am happy to help you create a landing page to send your current DTM traffic to if you wish. I work with a great web design team that would be happy to create a landing page for you. Please let me know if you are interested and I will have them get started on it ASAP.

Many thanks to all for the questions.
    Last edited by Kim Salvino; April 9th, 2008 at 09:12 AM.

4checks.com features the products of numerous brands, one of which is Unique Products . Custom Direct is our corporate name and we are choosing to protect that trademark as well. However, if you are bidding on these keywords and sending the traffic first to your own site, that is allowed.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I realize that your time is valuable. I am happy to help you create a landing page to send your current DTM traffic to if you wish. I work with a great web design team that would be happy to create a landing page for you. Please let me know if you are interested and I will have them get started on it ASAP.
    Considering the needed change in terms and conditions, and with no obligation on your part, I must say this is a very considerate offer, and much appreciated.

I'm not sure it will work for the way I do things, but I'll contact you and we can discuss it further.

Mr. Sal,

Anytime. Thank you for the question.

Mr. Jones,

Good talking to you! We'll get you all squared away; don't you worry.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    That's all fine

I only direct link to and bid on "Kim Rodgers"

FYI: You've NEVER converted!!

LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    That's all fine

I only direct link to and bid on "Kim Rodgers"

FYI: You've NEVER converted!!

LOLOL
    LOL - Have you requested a landing page? I can help with content. Perhaps working together we could get some organic traffic for the term Billy Kay loves to take threads off topic but always makes me laugh!!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread