View Poll Results: Things to Come for Affiliate Marketers (Poll)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corporate Mergers

2 9.09%
  • Federal SPAM Regulation

2 9.09%
  • Global Economy/International Trade

5 22.73%
  • PPC Industry Growth or Policy Changes

9 40.91%
  • Other (Please Explain)

4 18.18%
    Everybody speculates on the things that will most affect our industry.

Which factor do you feel will have the biggest impact on affiliate marketing before the end of 2004?

Two related things that will have an impact on the field.

1) The economy: If it continues to plod along, the landscape will shift. Not sure what this would mean to affiliate marketers, but certain it would have a major impact.

2) Increased competition: As more people become Web savvy, their will be more people looking to make money on the Web. If the economy continues to falter [see above], more people will see entrepreneurship online as a potential solution, which is something we've already seen.

Anyway, one opinion.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Consumer confidence. Last year I think was a real turning point for purchasing online. People yielded up those credit card numbers more willingly, opted for the convenience of online purchasing rather than standing in Xmas lines.

I feel really good that this year people are going to buy big time online. The general population is accepting it as a legitimate way to buy 'stuff'. Long as we can keep thieves out of our pockets, I think we are all in for an excellent finish to the year.

A page a day keeps the creditors away.....

ABW Ambassador
    I know by the end of 2004 Google will have some major competition.

Google
    MSN Search - MSNBOT crawling
    Yahoo - I bet they use AllTheWeb, which they acquired when they bought Overture, instead of Inktomi. AllTheWeb has the best results along with Google, gets more pages more quickly etc.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2) Increased competition: As more people become Web savvy, their will be more people looking to make money on the Web. If the economy continues to falter [see above], more people will see entrepreneurship online as a potential solution, which is something we've already seen.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is by far my greatest concern. Not so much the little people getting involved with affiliate sites but the big companies like Yahoo and Google. The little people will mostly fail, it's not easy to get a grip on just how to sell online. The large companies have resources I couldn't dream of having at this time. My hope is to last long enough to become a player and by the time corporate entities have their acts together to be dominate to them.

Heyder:
    Exactly.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

I agree to Heyder, I think this industry is going to be more competition if the economy doesn't get better.

Those doing PPC are in trouble. Those worried about the impact on Federal regulations concerning SPAM are in trouble.

Where's Wayne Porter when you need him? Hehehe...

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."Your talent in the local beauty pageant was making noises with your armpit"

Our future looks great!

The large companies resources will not hurt us but help us. Either we will have their affiliate link or their Google Adsense ad on our sites. Of course - we may have a Yahoo/Overture ad instead of Adsense but I'm not sure if Overture will meet my "relavancy" requirement. The large companies will have to compete with other large companies getting their advertising one way or another on our "targeted" sites. Competition is good! As far as Yahoo or Google competing directly with us - it won't happen. The monies we create for them by advertising and hosting their advertising is where their bread and butter is and will be.

Increased competition among smaller affiliates is a reality so you just have to stay a step ahead of others and target market where others aren't or target better. Even with increased competition though, the pie is growing bigger and bigger each year with rapidly increasing online sales mostly due to consumer confidence.

The pay per click future looks great for advertisers and for website owners promoting those PPC sponsor links on their sites. There is a lot of growth and competition in PPC which is the way it should be (Again - competition is good!). Thumbs way up for Google's Adsense and Adwords for improving the affiliate's landscape!

I feel that PPC will have the biggest impact on us and it will be a good impact.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

[This message was edited by wentzco on July 29, 2003 at 07:25 PM.]

Competition amongst smaller affiliates doesn't bother me too much because that's ALWAYS a factor. The art is to continually find and exploit new niches.

Competition from the likes of Froogle worrying, but really I don't see much happening there at the moment.

Actually, I think the main problem is product margins in the marketplace as a whole, and that's partly down to the global economy. If margins get squeezed, then our commissions are squeezed with them. If a merchant is only making 5% or less margin, then there's not a whole lot of scope for the affiliates to get a cut.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread