Google Paid Clicks Data Generate Debate

I wonder if the Google support rep that has, for the past 2 weeks has been explaining the March doubling and tripling of my Min Bid prices with "bad landing page quality" and "read the guidelines" (even though my page hasn't changed, and for the previous 9 months was Great with very low mid bids) will admit to this.

BTW, has anyone ever had "Google support" do anything more than refer you to their Guidelines?

ABW Ambassador
    For me it's very simple. They should go back to pre-slap days. I spent a whole lot more with them back then. People started spending some of their money at other places when that first happened. And with the whole quality deal, it's something that works itself out. If people aren't making money, they're not going to leave the ads running. If they're making money, it's means they're converting and conversions mean satisfaction with those clicking.

I'm curious to know for those that have ever been Google Slapped or even had their bids go up to a point you felt it wouldn't be profitable anymore. If you're spending more or less after that? For me a lot less.

I'm spending much less with Google than I did prior to the "slap". They've doubled and tripled the mid bids for the keywords that used to bring in the majority of my traffic, and I'm not willing/able to pay the increased amount. Of course, those keywords are the most relevant and most searched upon keywords for my product, so now I'm limited to "closely related" keywords that aren't searched on nearly as often so my impresssions are "in the toilet" and Google is getting much less $$ from me.

It's obvious what Google has done. The most popular/relevant keywords that brought in the most traffic up until roughly Feb, 2008 all got 'slapped', regardless of their CTR. I'm sure Google hoped we'd pay the increased prices for the best keywords, but I'm betting that ain't gonna happen.

I've cut my ad budget by 80% over the past 6 months, it just wasn't worth it anymore. Not just the "landing page quality" issue, but the time spent on research.. trying to figure out what the heck I could do to bring down the keyword bids.

I chose to SE Optimize the heck out of my site to bring up natural SERP, and have achieved more success naturally than with AdWords traffic - to the point where I'm considering cutting the ad budget to zero.

So if my experience is anything to go by... no, conversions are not good, and no, I will not be spending more for (the hope of) better conversions.

"per-click revenue will rise immediately if advertisers see more value in each click, because they'll pay more for them at auction"

I think this guy got it wrong... it's too late.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread