PayPal Debit Card Canceled - Security Breech
    Sandy and I walked into our favorite Starbucks a couple weeks ago, ordered our regulars and attempted to pay with my regular card (PayPal debit card) I was informed that it was declined each of four tries. What?!? That's very bad news because the debit card is my main access to my regular money. Having to wait four days for bank transfers to gain access to my money was out of the question. So as soon as I got home I gave PayPal a call (didn't want to sit in Starbucks on hold for forty-two minutes). I was politely informed that my card was reported as lost or stolen along with a bunch of other cards due to a security breech of some sort and would I like to order a replacement? "Duh, wadda you think?" I have since received my replacement card. I also received an email five days later informing me that my debit card had been reported as lost or stolen. It stated that a security breech had occurred where I recently made a purchase.

I wonder how extensive this "breech" was. Has anyone here had their PayPal card canceled recently?

X

Tax Paying Member
    Same experience on one of my credit cards late last summer. My wife had this experience within the past 2 weeks. Different credit card issurers, not Paypal.

Exact same explanation for both of us as you got. We also could not get any information on where the breech occurred.

As a result, we are both being a little more prudent on how we use the credit cards.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

As explained by PayPal, the card issuer was actually who canceled the card. I would sure like to know where the breech occurred too.

X

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I don't even know where my Paypal debit card is...I should probably look into that.

However a few weeks ago I had several transactions declined on my Mastercard. I meant to call in but I didn't. They ended up calling me and asking if I tried to make those purchases. I told them I did and then they activated my card again.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    However a few weeks ago I had several transactions declined on my Mastercard. I meant to call in but I didn't. They ended up calling me and asking if I tried to make those purchases. I told them I did and then they activated my card again.
    I've been getting 'fraud' bounces left and right on a number of visa cards for charges to G/Y/M, which have long been within my regular pattern of spending. Thankfully, G has an automatic backup card system, but Y & M are a different story. I've spent waaaay too much time on the phone w/Visa companies & Y/M in the past 2 weeks.

I've had two cards compromised in the last 45 days.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Here is my 2 cents.

Never use a debit card. My friend's debit card was stolen and they wiped out his account. It took the bank 4 days to research the problem before credit the money (and that credit was pending a full investigation).

With Credit card, let the card company go hassle it with the merchant.

Paypal is notorious for "breaches" as it is one of the largest target for online money transfer.

ABW Ambassador
    I forget who it was but there was just an enormous case of a security breach with some super market chain, where all the info was exposed and accessed with a ton of fraud happening, because of a malicious exploit on their server.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    I forget who it was but there was just an enormous case of a security breach with some super market chain, where all the info was exposed and accessed with a ton of fraud happening, because of a malicious exploit on their server.
    Thread about it here http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=103297

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread