Checking Stats from Europe?
    My oldest son (11) and I will be taking a trip to France/Europe in late May for about two weeks and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to briefly check campaigns/email/etc.

Since I've had a recent rash of declined payments for G/Y/M that required immediate attention, I don't want to let things be completely unattended. I also don't plan on tweaking accounts, just the ability to make sure stuff is online.

Anyone have suggestions? I am willing to buy a new gadget/cellphone/etc. (heh-heh!) to make this happen.

Thanks!

In Europe you can rent a pay-as-go cell phone with a capability to connect to the Internet. I rented one myself in France (in Nice airport). However, it is not your cheapest option. Internet cafes - which are abundant around European cities - are a much better way to go.

Hope this helps. Where in Europe are you going?

G.

Thanks, Geno that's a start! Is there a security issue in using Internet cafes? Since I'd be using my log-in info, that might be a concern. I was wondering about Blackberry and even those really tiny Sony handheld computers.

We fly into Paris and fly out of the South of France 12/13 days later. Not sure about the in-between days yet, but somewhat tempted to get a day in Switzerland (Interlaken), Austria (Salzburg), and N. Italy (Venice). Any suggestions??

Internet cafes in Europe are aplenty!

My personal fav is easyInternetcafe (look for the bright orange sign) - that's when I don't take my laptop with me.

I've rented phones in Europe, pretty pricey airtime... and I've heard horror stories about roaming charges when you take your own phone abroad.

Alternatively, all hotels usually have dedicated workstations you can pay to use, but they're not as cheap as the public cafes.

PS. no security issues that I know of with public cafes, you reboot after usage, and can clear cookies, etc.

Europe listings: http://www.easyinternetcafe.com/search-4

15 years and counting
    OTProf - Anyone have suggestions? I am willing to buy a new gadget/cellphone/etc. (heh-heh!) to make this happen.
    I'm using my BlackBerry all the time. It works in France and everywhere in Europe. The coverage is pretty good. Just be sure to call your provider way in advance and to ask them to activate the service in Europe, then call again a few days before your trip to check with them if the service is activated.

Any triband phone will give you service around the world, Blackberries, Motorola's ect. Just check the specs to see if it is a tri-band. Also, you may want to call your network if you already have a tri-band phone, and see if they have a phone as a modem option. I believe they all have a plan, or option to use your smartphone in that way.

Problem: Receiving data on your phone overseas is expensive! When I went on my honeymoon in Jamiaca, I checked my email 5 times while I was there and it cost almost $200.

The best solution I found, was while in Amsterdam, was to just pay for the in room service.

Nunez also told me (quite a while ago) about a phone that you can call and order for your international trip. I will shot him an email and point him to this thread if he still remembers the company and/or it is still around.

Probably not a ton of help, but hope it helps a bit. If you do purchase a new smartphone, just make sure it's a tri-band (or quad) phone
    KK

Thanks for the tips, folks!

@teezone -- thanks for the easyInternetcafe tip, I'll look out for the orange signs!

@Zeus -- BlackBerry is tempting, but I'll have to see if they have any short term plans. I assume you can get online w/these not just phone service, right? (yes, I'm a bit tech-challenged!)

@Kristin -- Hmmm... sounds like a tri-band w/a basic web browser could work but possibly cost a bundle. I've thought about bringing my pretty light Powerbook for in-room service, but that may be overkill and be a hassle keeping it safe. Lemmeknow if you get anything f/Nunez!

Outsourced Program Manager
    check telestial.com and rangeroamer.com. If I remember correctly, telestial is good if you're staying in the same country, rangeroamer is better if you're visiting multiple.

-Mike

ABW Ambassador
    "We fly into Paris and fly out of the South of France 12/13 days later. Not sure about the in-between days yet, but somewhat tempted to get a day in Switzerland (Interlaken), Austria (Salzburg), and N. Italy (Venice). Any suggestions??"

Salzburg - to go to the Salt Mines? I remember going there when I was little, fun trip. Still have the pics. Get to dress up in these outfits, take this little train around the mines. Oh and you'll be close to Berchtesgaden, have to go there. Beautiful area.

Come visit Zurich, Switzerland ... I might even let you use my internet

ABW Ambassador
    Most hotels have wi-fi, ask before you book.

My advice
    I watched the movie Click the other day with Adam Sandler. Great movie, very poignant.

In my humble opinion, if it's a vacation, then you should make it a vacation. Leave the laptop, forget the blackberry,roaming costs are really high. My mobile phone bills on a blackberry are crazy, even though you can turn off email pushes if you are roaming.

Although most internet cafes are good, they tend to restrict active x and don't usually allow you to clear history and cache. The number of times I have gone to things like gmail and ended up in someone else's inbox because the person using the machine before me didn't log out properly is ridcisulously high.

My brother went away on "vacation" and ended up taking his 11 year old daughter into internet cafe's to check on stuff, he got a video chat request and up popped his daughter who was sitting next to him asking if they could go.....

To go back to the movie CLick there is a great line where Adam Sandler is told to put "Family First".

Checks can wait, work can wait, your 11 year old should look back at the trip with joy!! Make sure you bring plenty of batteries for your camera, Europe in May is just a fantastic place to be.

Buy your son a PSP. He'll be able to play games and you'll be able to use the wifi connections in the hotels to browse the internet.

Thanks again for the ideas everyone!

@Mike -- thanks for those sites -- they are now up on my browser!

@Trust -- I was in Switzerland ca. 1989 and I have great memories of riding little trains huffing & puffing around mountain passes! Hadn't heard of the mines, thanks on that.

@Sue -- Be careful -- we might say yes to invites!!

@Wayder -- thanks; we might try to stay in some hostels, which I assume might have access as well (though security....)

@primaryads-uk -- I hear ya. If I hadn't had this rash of declined payments and credit holds over the past couple weeks -- which takes me completely offline for Y & M -- I wouldn't bother at all (on other trips I've simply let things run). I can only assume some of the banks have been tweaking their algorithms for catching fraud as I've had these payments since '05.

@Donk -- He has a PSP! I didn't know they could go online. Will look into thanks.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread