Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Wordpress 2.5 was released this morning.
    WordPress 2.5 was released earlier this morning (morning for me anyway!) and I upgraded one of my sites without any major issues.

I'd recommend waiting a month for your plugins to get updated unless you also like to live dangerously!

If you are ready to upgrade and don't want to waste time, use the Wordpress automatic Upgrade Plugin to automate the upgrade process. (that will save me about an hour per site so I'm happy)

http://techie-buzz.com/wordpress-plu...de-plugin.html

There was a minor conflict with 2.5 and that plugin after upgrading WP which I reported. I just got a reply that the plugin maker is in the process of uploading that fix, so by the time you read this, it should be working perfectly.

I've only just started testing it, but I know for sure that the following plugins work:

LostRSS
    Popshops.com (their plugin for wordpress, at least the version I have online)
    WP-dTree 3.3.1

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Gee whiz these updates are coming faster and faster. I'm going to wait awhile before I update anything just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Gee whiz these updates are coming faster and faster. I'm going to wait awhile before I update anything just to be on the safe side.
    FYI - They were actually a couple weeks behind schedule and that was after skipping version 2.4!

http and a telephoto
    Some of my plugins and my theme aren't compatible, or aren't tested yet, so I will hold off upgrading any existing sites. I will probably put it on a new site though. Glad to see it released! Lots of cool new features.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    FYI - They were actually a couple weeks behind schedule and that was after skipping version 2.4!
    Well then I'm behind because I feel like I JUST upgraded to 2.3.3

Same here, PWA. Just updated to 2.3.3 about a month or so ago on most of my sites. Not eager to jump into 2.5 just yet.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I just noticed something. Popshops plug in is working however the button isn't appearing in the edit/write page. The menu for adding a shop does, so it depends on how you're trying to use it.

Oh, sure, of course -- NOW they update to 2.5. I waited to build a site for a couple of weeks in anticipation of 2.5. Finally gave up and built it with 2.3.3 -- yesterday.

Hmm. Since I have very little on that new site yet, this might be a good opportunity to use the site to test that auto-upgrade plugin ... I'll let you know how that goes.
    Generate more fake news.

All right! I just updated the wp-upgrade plugin first, ran the wp-db-backup plugin FIRST just to be sure I had a complete backup emailed to myself.

I installed the up-upgrade plugin, ran it, and upgraded from WP 2.3.3 to WP 2.5 without a glitch of any sort. And since the site is pretty new, it happened very fast.

Everything's working, and I really like the clean, well-organized new WP dashboard, though it'll take a bit to find my way around it.

Two things:

1. I tried the automatic upgrade plugins function on one plugin that was outdated. It downloaded and unzipped the plugin, but told me it was unable to remove the old plugin. Is that a bug or is there something buggy about that particular plugin, I wonder? I dunno. It was the exec-php plugin.

2. I had checked my user profile before the upgrade to NOT use the visual editor. A chief gripe I had about past versions of WP is that the visual editor is turned on by default when you install WP. I don't know (since I had already unclicked that option) whether the 2.5 version makes you use the visual editor by default or not? Anyone know?

Otherwise, everything went well and I like the new dashboard look and the few new functions I've tried.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy

1. I tried the automatic upgrade plugins function on one plugin that was outdated. It downloaded and unzipped the plugin, but told me it was unable to remove the old plugin. Is that a bug or is there something buggy about that particular plugin, I wonder? I dunno. It was the exec-php plugin.
    the automatic upgrade plugin ONLY upgrades WordPress, so the upgrade plugin worked perfectly for you.

The upgrade of an actual plugin once WordPress is upgraded is the function of WordPress 2.5.
    I read that if a plugin doesn't upgrade using that feature it doesn't comply with the current standards. I remember it has to be in its own subdirectory, but I don't know what else.

ABW Ambassador
    Worked fine for me, but do they really think the new dashboard is less cluttered?

I just added it to a brand, spanking new blog.

I don't like the interface. That's probably because I'm not used to it. It'd be nice if there was a toggle screen like yahoo mail so you can choose if you want the old version or new version.

I'll get used to it though.

Have to admit I'm ambivalent. No better, no worse, IMHO.

I do like the new image features, but I accomplished that with plug ins before.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Ick...one of my very important plugins doesn't work. Good thing I left my established blogs alone. Now I have to find out how to downgrade back to 2.3.3

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Ick...one of my very important plugins doesn't work. Good thing I left my established blogs alone. Now I have to find out how to downgrade back to 2.3.3
    Re upload your 2.3.3 files and use your database backup to go back.

Could you let us know which plugin needs to be updated in case other ABW members are using it?

I did suggest waiting a month unless you like to live dangerously like me. :-)

Anyway, I'm still in the process of upgrading my sites. I've only seen problems with plugins that add "buttons" to the visual editor or modify the visual editor in some way.

I also get a fatal error when trying to re-enable the local analytics plugin which is no big deal. I can always add the GA code to my theme's footer.

I've really been enjoying WP 2.5's plugin updating feature. I'm just counting the hours I'll be saving this month with that.

I think that feature by its self justifies the upgrade. I still have to try the media manager.

There is also a new permalink option.

ABW Ambassador
    My hosting has the one-click installation in Fantastico of WP 2.3.3 but how much more complicated is it to install 2.5 from scratch? Do you have to create the MySQL database manually to install? It would be a first time, and I'd like to try a totally simple, easily modifiable and customizable theme that has only one file and a stylesheet, but has a version out now that's only for 2.5

How hard would it be for a first venture into installing WP without the one click easy way?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    My hosting has the one-click installation in Fantastico of WP 2.3.3 but how much more complicated is it to install 2.5 from scratch? Do you have to create the MySQL database manually to install? It would be a first time, and I'd like to try a totally simple, easily modifiable and customizable theme that has only one file and a stylesheet, but has a version out now that's only for 2.5

How hard would it be for a first venture into installing WP without the one click easy way?
    it isn't difficult to install WP without fantastico, you'd need to

1. create a database and user with your host's control panel. (write down your database name, user name, and password)
    2. upload wordpress's files to the server via FTP in the directory you want it to be in.
    3. follow the instructions when you go to that directory in your web-browser.

It is pretty easy. I've done it quite a few times.
    If this sounds like a lot of work then just wait for Fantastico to update. (that could be a month or two.)

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia

You do have to go into your control panel and create your database, but WP installs all the database info, tables etc. So all you need to do is "make" the database "shell". That's the easiest way I could think of to explain it Other than that, you upload the files via ftp to your server, and take the wp-config-sample.php and and edit it to have your database information, and save it as wp-config.php. WP does the rest.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    lostdeviant: If memory serves, you're the one who mentioned the Google XML Sitemaps plugin in another thread. Have you tried that with the new WP?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    lostdeviant: If memory serves, you're the one who mentioned the Google XML Sitemaps plugin in another thread. Have you tried that with the new WP?
    It seems to be working. I'm not getting any error messages with it. Just let 2.5 update the plugin after updating to 2.5 with the automatic upgrade plugin.

ABW Ambassador
    That's good, thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh joy.. I shouldn't have upgraded. All of my pages can't be found now.. and I really wasn't planning on having the time to fix this. Today was supposed to be break from computer day, lol.

Edit: Oh.. it's my permalinks.. new version doesn't like: index.php/%postname%

Switched to default, works.. but that's ugly. So at least I know what the problem is.

Edit2: Ohh.. the mod rewrite was actually easy, just copy and paste it, I thought it was going to be hard so I avoided it, haha.. problem solved. Just need to fix all my links now. (I had index.php/%postname% to avoid having to do the mod rewrite, now with it, /%postname% works)

Edit3: Call me an edit spammer, but I guess linking to ../index.php/%postname% is the same as linking to /%postname%, since my links all work.. nice. Day is save.
    Last edited by Hardaka; March 30th, 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy

Writerguy,
    I just upgraded one site that still has exec-php plugin installed on it (although I stopped using that plugin months ago). I was able to use WP 2.5's updating feature on that plugin without any problems or errors.

Perhaps there is a problem with your server config, perhaps a permissions issue?

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Writerguy,
    I just upgraded one site that still has exec-php plugin installed on it (although I stopped using that plugin months ago). I was able to use WP 2.5's updating feature on that plugin without any problems or errors.

Perhaps there is a problem with your server config, perhaps a permissions issue?
    You were right. As soon as I set 777 permissions on the wp-content/plugins directory, I tried the WP autoupdate feature and it updated the plugin.

My question: Are there instructions somewhere that I've missed suggesting that the wp-content and/or wp-content/plugins directory requires chmod 777 for this to work? Perhaps that is explained somewhere?
    Generate more fake news.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast