ABW Ambassador
    T-Shirt Shop with own Domain name
    I have a domain name "ShockingTShirts.com" I want to develop into a t-shirt shop like you can do with CafePress but I want to be able to use my own domain name. I don't want to use CP as they only have the option of masking your url (using frames) or as a redirect to cafepress.com/whatever...

Are there any places I can get this, have my own cafepress type shop where I can upload designs in images for the t-shirts and be able to use my own domain name?
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    You can use Cafepress and have your own store. Use cafepress with cpshops. There's a small fee for cpshops but I don't remember how much since I bought it years ago.

I'll second, using cpshop. It's under $20

I run a number of sites with it, some with my own designs and some where I affiliate cafepress designs.

Like anything... There is a slight learning curve, but once set up it's very easy to use and can be customized in many ways.

You can see what it does by checking out the spot on Marty's Forum where folks post links to showcase their shops.

ABW Ambassador
    cpshops looks pretty good thanks, pity at checkout you can't stay on your own site though. Other than that it looks ok on first impressions so I will probably use that unless someone else has another idea.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

It doesn't matter because you can make it look like you are still on your own site if you upgrade to cp premium and customize the template.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    It doesn't matter because you can make it look like you are still on your own site if you upgrade to cp premium and customize the template.
    really, thats great to hear. I just viewed the demo page and only checked the first site listed and that led to cafepress at checkout.

Considering I wrote a book about CafePress...

Two things. First, if you want your own domain, use CPShop. There are a couple of alternatives, but you can't beat CPShop, and the developer of it actually works at CafePress. CPShop works by pulling in all your shop data and hooking into the CafePress shopping cart - which you can't modify beyond the style. There's a reason for this, which leads to point two:

Don't hide your association with CafePress. You're not fulfilling orders, you're not printing shirts, and you're not processing payments. They are. Customers need to know who they are dealing with from a legal and financial standpoint - and they're dealing with CafePress, not you. It's the CafePress privacy policy that applies once they place an order, not yours. It's the CafePress cart they use and they have to create an account with CafePress to place the order. When they get the package, it'll be CafePress branded, and the packing slip will be from CafePress.

If you hide your association with CafePress, all you're going to do is confuse your shoppers and make them think you're trying to hide something - which you are. Customers that don't trust you don't come back.

I'm not saying you should shout from the mountaintops that CafePress is your vendor, but you should not go out of your way to completely hide them from your shoppers.

Regarding the premium shop, PWA is correct, you can make it look like the premium shop is part of your domain by customizing the template to match your site. But you cannot remove the branding bar that appears at the top of the premium shops. Doing so will get your account closed.

Hope that helps
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I don't think that people who wish for things to blend in are trying to hide anything. They are just trying to maintain (their definition of) professionalism.

This came up in another thread so that's why I am commenting.

My shop blends and it's a nice transition from my site to CP. I didn't do it to hide my association with CP as it's clearly on my About and Contact page that CP handles the orders, I just like things to blend in because I think it's more professional than if it doesn't.

Blending is great - there's absolutely nothing wrong with it! I'd go so far as to say that you will have a very, very hard time succeeding with CafePress if all you do is use their stock templates. Customization is a big key to success with them.

I wrote what I did because 9 out of 10 times, when someone brings up this topic it's because they want to remove CafePress from the equation, but they don't understand that they can't. I can't tell you how many times this came up in the years I was a moderator at the CafePress forums. I don't know if that's what glinted had in mind, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case that was the direction he (she? sorry, I don't know ) wanted to go in. Certainly no offense intended, I wasn't assuming anything
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    All this is great info & yes I can see what your saying Daniel about not hiding from the customer that CafePress is going to process their order. I'll be starting on this in the next few days and I'm looking forward to it...

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread