Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Linking to Individual Products
    I've never had the need to do this, but now I do.

How do you create your own links to individual products in CJ?

Google tells me
    qksrv.net/click-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX?url=http://www.affiliates-site.com/unique-product.html

But I don't know if that still applies, if it tracks, or if there is another way.

Does the merchant have a product catalog available? If so you can search products through the merchant and use the "get links" feature to grab the link that way.

If they don't have a product catalog available...I'm not sure, but would love to know the answer too.
    Last edited by Amy_S; March 30th, 2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: clarity (I never seem to make sense on the first try...)

Yes I tried that but it doesn't have the products I want. I was hoping there was a way to pick the ones I want right off the site.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    If they do not provide product links for certain products it is most likely because they do not want their affiliates to have links for those products and they will not pay commissions if sales are made as a result of your creating your own links.

I would inquire of the merchant before going any further.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    If they do not provide product links for certain products it is most likely because they do not want their affiliates to have links for those products and they will not pay commissions if sales are made as a result of your creating your own links.
    That's what I thought...but I wanted to make sure there wasn't another way to link to products.

Many CJ merchants don't provide product links, even though there is a search facility.

Take Bluefly, for example - you can search all you like, and it will return either "too many results" to display, or "no match". And unfortunately, you do need the code from the network, there is no build-your-own product link for their merchants.

I found out the hard way that if I wanted to continue to promote certain merchant products, I would have to pay the one-time fee for a datafeed. Although, to be fair, it has actually turned into a pretty decent investment (I was dead set against it!).

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    That's what I thought...but I wanted to make sure there wasn't another way to link to products.
    See if the merchant in question is on Popshops. If they are, but the products you want to have links for are not there, then that's more evidence that the merchant does not want affiliates to have those links.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

the best thing you could do is look for a text link that allows destination redirection (the ability to change the landing page). Not all advertisers have this ability and you have to look under advanced options (i think) when looking at the link.

Once you have the advertiser and link you should be able to switch url as you like, but use the interface on CJ to be sure the format is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    Many CJ merchants don't provide product links, even though there is a search facility.

Take Bluefly, for example - you can search all you like, and it will return either "too many results" to display, or "no match". And unfortunately, you do need the code from the network, there is no build-your-own product link for their merchants.

I found out the hard way that if I wanted to continue to promote certain merchant products, I would have to pay the one-time fee for a datafeed. Although, to be fair, it has actually turned into a pretty decent investment (I was dead set against it!).
    I don't know about bluefly- I don't promote them. But, in my (admittedly limited) experience, most merchants that have a datafeed also seem to offer a product catalog too. I wonder if it's some sort of glitch that you couldn't actually get to the products? Seems odd!

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound

I would inquire of the merchant before going any further.
    That's true!

Or maybe the merchant only updates their products quarterly (or whatever.) Some will add a product sooner if you ask them to.

Thanks guys.

They don't have advanced links available but they are on popshops and I was able to find a few of the products but not all of them.

Now I wonder if I can just use the popshops link and redirect it through my site. A redirect of the redirect...or I could just make several one item shops.

Just go through the product catalog - All links in there should say "Advertiser allows URL redirects for this link. ". Type the URL of the page you want to redirect to in the "URL" field, and it'll generate a link similar to what you posted originally.

You can only be guaranteed that this tracks when applying the method to links that specify that URL redirects are allowed.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Just go through the product catalog - All links in there should say "Advertiser allows URL redirects for this link. ". Type the URL of the page you want to redirect to in the "URL" field, and it'll generate a link similar to what you posted originally.

You can only be guaranteed that this tracks when applying the method to links that specify that URL redirects are allowed.
    FYI, I have merchants that don't allow redirects on all products, but do allow them on some. (This convoluted product linking method makes no intuitive sense to me at all.) So if you don't see them on some, just keep checking. Usually you can find some of he banner and text links that allow them, if the products don't. I have spent a fair amount of time sorting through merchants links to be able to do this.

Good Luck!
    Lily

In the get links window, there is often an option for changing the destination url. When that option is present, I have succeeded in extracting the rest of the url and using that as the basis for creating my custom links.

So for example, I'll copy the h t t p://blah.net-etcYOURURLHEREandsoforth, and use that to make a long list of links to other products by simply replacing the YOURURLHERE. This is extremely handy when using a cms like Webmerge, I can go to the merchant website and use all the product urls I want to create my own links.

..and most of my usage I've created a template where all I need to do is plug in the SKU of the product and the URL redirects accurately.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread