Aloha Airlines to shut down passenger operations after March 31, 2008
    looks like United Air will help.

Not sure if they have an aff prog

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    ATA went bust too.

Passangers are stranded and employees are left in the cold too

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Not sure if they have an aff prog
    They had one at CJ, but it was shut down around half a year ago.

G.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Aloha gave a couple of days notice - ATA gave no notice at all: Watchng TV news report interviewing people who checked in on web last night, and when they got to the airport this morning, found only a note saying ATA had shut down and try contacting other airlines to see if they would honor tickets. Passengers interviewed said no airline would honor ATA tickets, and they are all stranded.

One woman said she paid $500/ticket to ATA and best replacement she could find this morning was $1600/ticket.

What a way to treat people.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I think that I would have to be thrown out of the airport...not cool!

If there isn't some sort of law that the passengers would be refunded, there should be. I read the article above but I only saw that the passenger would have to ask their credit card company for a refund...wonder how easy that was.

3rd airline in a week goes out of business: Skybus
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    3rd airline in a week goes out of business: Skybus
    I am sure that more will come. Never heard of SkyBus but i am sure that there are many smaller carriers that will not fair that well when the econony hits a big speed bump.

That is terrible news about Skybus (and the others too.) Can someone please tell me why I decided to get a degree in Aerospace again? Geez...it has been tough ever since I graduated. No wonder I never have worked for anyone in that industry. I love airplanes but management is afraid to do what they need most, which is raise prices across the board. At one time, flight was a luxury. Not saying that it should be again, but it does need to be more expensive in order to give the airlines the ability to survive without this or that one going bankrupt every quarter or so.

Can we as a nation really afford to have them going bankrupt at this rate? When a company goes BK, then it leaves some unpaid bills. Bills from suppliers, contractors, etc. Some get paid, some don't. Depends on how much money is raised from the sale of assets. Small and medium businesses are hurt by these airlines' lack of fiscal well-being. These are billions of dollars a year that are not paid by companies who hire supposed financial experts to profitably manage their finances. How is it that the CFO is always caught by surprise? Aren't they supposed to do earnings forecasts? Do they just ignore the signs that they need to change? Shouldn't the penalty for this be greater than what it is?

Skybus sold the first 10 seats on every flight for $10. $10!!! Don't movie tickets cost more than that? Bad business decisions from the top down. I feel bad for the employees who were suckered into believing that would work. They have families and houses that depended on the company being successful. Now they are sent scrambling to keep their own personal lives in order due to bad decision making by their prior employer. I can't believe we are seeing this as often as we are in America. What a shame.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    That is terrible news about Skybus (and the others too.) Can someone please tell me why I decided to get a degree in Aerospace again? Geez...it has been tough ever since I graduated. No wonder I never have worked for anyone in that industry. I love airplanes but management is afraid to do what they need most, which is raise prices across the board. At one time, flight was a luxury. Not saying that it should be again, but it does need to be more expensive in order to give the airlines the ability to survive without this or that one going bankrupt every quarter or so.

Can we as a nation really afford to have them going bankrupt at this rate? When a company goes BK, then it leaves some unpaid bills. Bills from suppliers, contractors, etc. Some get paid, some don't. Depends on how much money is raised from the sale of assets. Small and medium businesses are hurt by these airlines' lack of fiscal well-being. These are billions of dollars a year that are not paid by companies who hire supposed financial experts to profitably manage their finances. How is it that the CFO is always caught by surprise? Aren't they supposed to do earnings forecasts? Do they just ignore the signs that they need to change? Shouldn't the penalty for this be greater than what it is?

Skybus sold the first 10 seats on every flight for $10. $10!!! Don't movie tickets cost more than that? Bad business decisions from the top down. I feel bad for the employees who were suckered into believing that would work. They have families and houses that depended on the company being successful. Now they are sent scrambling to keep their own personal lives in order due to bad decision making by their prior employer. I can't believe we are seeing this as often as we are in America. What a shame.

-sfcom
    I think most of the underlying problems stem from 1978's de-regulation of the airline industry and elimination of the Civil Aeronautics Board. I remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago that in the 27 years since de-regulation, 150 or so airlines had gone bankrupt, compared to zero in the 27 years before de-regulation.

Compeition and other market forces are insufficent to protect passengers, and airline employees, in such a vital industry. Maybe this rash of bankruptcy filings and the outrage they cause will have an influence on Congress to take a new look at the problems.

Make that 4: Frontier Airlines - can't find a story on the web, but late news story on LA NBC station says they announced they are filing for bankruptcy.

ABW Ambassador
    Make that 4: Frontier Airlines - can't find a story on the web, but late news story on LA NBC station says they announced they are filing for bankruptcy.
    I would be surprised if they shut down though. Frontier has an affiliate program through Linkshare. Kiss any unpaid commissions goodbye.

That kind of sucks as I think Fronter is one of the best low cost carriers. When i flew back in 2005-06 with then, leather seat (std), free cable TV and headphones, i think i got food too.
    I wouldn;t have problems paying more for that service.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Frontier Airlines Goes Chapter 11
    Guess the train industy is due for a revival!!

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...%7D&siteid=bnb
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Confirmed Frontier filling for Chapter 11. Saw it on CNN.

Operations will be still going on.

The reason - Credit card company increasing fees.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieindigio
    I think that I would have to be thrown out of the airport...not cool!

LMAO Jamie - thinking about your "conversation" with the TSA person at security in Miami last year I believe you would!!

If there isn't some sort of law that the passengers would be refunded, there should be. I read the article above but I only saw that the passenger would have to ask their credit card company for a refund...wonder how easy that was.
    Actually there are many consumer laws in place that apply. However it is not a biggie to get a reversal on the charge.

The real problem here is not the airlines or how they have had to handle their exits from the industry. The problem stems from the oil indiustry, which is literally raping energy consumers and at this point they have inasmuch said that they don't care about the impact it is having on consumers and businesses.

As an example, two weeks ago Exxon arrogantly stated that their obligation is to their stock holders wallets and for that reason they have strategically kept production at a level that drives the barrel price up. They also announced that they plan to keep production at the 2008 level through 2012 in order to insure windfall profits. Apparently OPEC is not the only culprit.

This is all part of a huge wake up call for alternative energy development. If demand goes down, so does price and I have to believe that at this point, kif for no other reason other than affordability, consumers are cutting down on the amount of fuel they consume. (which is a good thing). Now if we can just couple lower price with lower consumption!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Swiftly followed by Oasis Air in Hong Kong....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7338424.stm
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread