ABW Ambassador
    Nomophobia
    Nomophobia is the fear of being out of mobile phone contact - and it's the plague of our 24/7 age.

Experts say nomophobia could affect up to 53 per cent of mobile phone users, with 48 per cent of women and 58 per cent of men questioned admitting to experiencing feelings of anxiety when they run out of battery or credit, lose their phone or have no network coverage.

ARTICLE

It's true! Remember when everyone was out of touch if they were away from the office or home phone, unless they had a pager? Now there's great fear attached with being "disconnected"!

X

http and a telephoto
    I used to be one of those folks. Now I actually leave it home sometimes, and it was recently off for 2 whole days because I forgot to bring the charger with me on an overnight trip.

Breaking the habit can be hard, but reminding yourself it is OK to be disconnected is something some of us need to do once in a while.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ah, I feel your pain. I guess.

As an Official Old Bald Guy, I don't have an issue with cell phones and being out of touch. I carry one around, but it's usually turned off and I generally just keep it on if I'm expecting a call or when I'm using it to make a call.

From the way I get razzed about it, I think that's fairly typical of "my generation."
    Generate more fake news.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I don't like talking on the phone but I get anxious if my battery runs low or if I don't have my phone with me because I start to wonder what if something bad happens and I can't call the police. What if something happens and I need help..I guess that would qualify as a different condition....

Cool
    I don't have much need for my cel phone any more, but I keep it charged and prepaid even though all I get are wrong numbers. (first three digits are same as an area code in another state.)

I left mine at the office today when we left to go have lunch, it is nerve racking for me...what if something happens with the kids? work? and no one can get a hold of me....

Sadly I am one of the statistics here, I am totally freaked out when I am not in a coverage area, and forget about the battery running out, I keep a "spare" in my purse...wow I am bad....

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Around here, it's probably the first bill paid the same day is due, incase.

Good Lord, what a world we're living in. This thread, with several of you remarking on the need to stay in touch instantly and constantly with family, business, etc. -- what on earth??

Just take a few deep breaths. It'll be all right. Really.

I remember not so long ago -- it SEEMS not so long ago, anyway -- living with my grandmother in a small town in Nebraska when I was a tiny young lad. Her phone number was 2147. That's right -- just 2147. (I remember calling the dear woman from the school office just before I started walking home and doing some kind of innocent prank call a buddy suggested. I still remember how confused grandma was by the call.)

Technology. How wonderous.
    Generate more fake news.

My DH has had a cellphone for 10+ years, my son 5+ years, my daughter 3 years, me and my youngest 2+ years. I didn't want a cellphone. They forced me to get one I tell you. Now everyday some one is asking me where's my cellphone. I don't know where the heck it is. It's never in my purse. I put it in my robe and for gods sake it just won't stay there. It takes me 10 minutes to message a 3 word text and then they don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Every time it rings I jump. I'm a nervous wreck I tell you.

Thanks for letting me get that out.
    LeDonna
    Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Ah, I feel your pain. I guess.

As an Official Old Bald Guy, I don't have an issue with cell phones and being out of touch. I carry one around, but it's usually turned off and I generally just keep it on if I'm expecting a call or when I'm using it to make a call.

From the way I get razzed about it, I think that's fairly typical of "my generation."
    I'm with you. I don't like the phone, only use it when there's no other alternative, and leave it off otherwise. I HATE the idea of being instantly available, too--if someone wants a creature who'll respond to them instantly, they need a dog.

But since I'm not in "your generation," I don't get razzed. People just look at me like I'm nuts, instead. But then when they say they were interrupted on their vacations or were otherwise harassed by unwanted contact, I get to return the look, and add a "SEE?!" on top of it.

Ok, just because Sandy and I are both over 55 doesn't mean we're low tech. Except for the landline in our office we haven't had a residential line for years. We're 100% cell phone users. I suppose I must admit that we suffer from Nomophobia just like the youngsters.

X

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My only phone's a cell phone, too. Doesn't mean I want to have to actually USE it!

Ain't got one. Don't want one. Get confused trying to figure out how to use the dang things.

My fingers won't even fit in there to rotate the dial to make a call even if I could find the finger holes.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I'm with the old farts club here. I had a cell phone years ago. It lasted only a couple months until I chucked it into a lake when I was fishing. What gripes me is receiving so many calls from people who really don't have anything to say but have to use their phone as a form of entertainment.
    ~Ernie

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread