Affiliate Manager
    WebMerge 2.5 Beta now available for testing
    WebMerge 2.5 Beta 1 has been posted for our servers for testing:

http://www.fourthworld.com/products/webmerge/test/

This is the first beta build of a version with some sweeping changes under the hood, so please feel free to help test it but to not use it for mission-critical work (i.e., make backups of your settings files and don't auto-upload until you've checked the pages yourself).

Currently we have builds posted for Windows and OS X; the new Linux build will be available with Beta 2, targeted for the end of this week.

Testing will continue here as we prep for Beta 2, so please send any bug reports to me at bugs@fourthworld.com

When reporting bugs please include your name, OS version, amount of memory installed, and note whether you're using an admin or non-admin account on your computer. If the issue you're reporting involves erroneously generated pages, please include your settings file, templates, and a <2MB portion of your source data feed.

Thanks in advance for your help testing this new version.

I look forward to your feedback, and will do my best to post Beta 2 within a week.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Great news. Can you give us a summary of changes, fixes?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Great news. Can you give us a summary of changes, fixes?

-rematt
    I second that!

Affiliate Manager
    Here's the summary from the What's New section of the Help files included in the download:

* The options for creating and naming Index pages have been completely revised to allow greater flexibility and control.

* Enhanced compatibility with Windows Vista and Mac OX 10.5 (Leopard).

* Optimized performance on Intel-based Macs.

* This is the first version of WebMerge available for the Linux operating system.

* Improved auto-discovery of source file formats: When loading a source file, WebMerge will examine the format of the file and attempt to set the delimiters in the Sources tab appropriately. For most common formats, this will automatically set them up correctly, but the user can still change them if needed.

* Improved generation of tables on index pages. In earlier versions it was possible to use certain combinations of tags and settings which would cause WebMerge to fail to generate the closing </table> tag for generated tables. At this time all known issues with table generation have been resolved.

* Generated files names now more flexible and standard-compliant. Earlier versions were too conservative in disallowing characters which cannot be used in valid files names on web servers. Version 2.5 now generates pages using the full range of allowable characters.

* Fixed bug in which saving a file with no source would generate a "Cannot find source file" next time the file was opened in WebMerge.

* Other minor bug fixes. All known issues have been addressed in this build.
    Richard Gaskin

Thanks Richard,

Now I have a question.

My current version is [ 2.4.1b11] , and it's on my ( Program Files/4W WebMerge ) folder.

I believe that if I click on the new [ Win-4W_WebMerge25b1.EXE ] setup file, that it would install on that directory ( Program Files/4W WebMerge ) folder as default.

The question is, should I remove the current version first, or can I just overwrite it without any problem?

And by the way, would the [ 2.4.1b11 version] still be available at fourthworld.com for some period in case anyone want to get that one back?

Thanks.

Affiliate Manager
    By default, all versions of WebMerge install into Program Files/4W WebMerge/

You can change that in the installer dialog, and I would recommend that during testing.
    Richard Gaskin

Arrow
    Well, here is what I have found so far...

I just clicked on the new Win-4W_WebMerge25b1.EXE file and it went to the [ Program Files/4W WebMerge/ ] folder and updated those files.

I tested an old mysetting.4ww file, and it opened the new Binary Version Number 2.5.0.0 4W WebMerge.exe life with an small box that said:

....................................................................................
    The settings file "mysetting.4ww" is in an older format.
    Would you like to convert it for this version of WebMerge?

Convert Cancel
    ....................................................................................

I clicked Convert and the I got the save file menu box with this new name:
    MYSETTINGOLDv24.4ww and I press Save, then the new WebMerge was ready to work.

I just clicked the Build Pages Button, and it made all the new pages fine as before, but...

I have found two bugs so far:

1- As soon as I Click on the mysetting.4ww file it will open WebMerge all the way to the roof on my monitor: on a 800 by 600 pixels setting, there is no way to see or move the WebMerge window, because everything above the four WebMerge tabs are not visible, the four WebMerge tabs are all the way up and close to the monitor top. Yes, I also check with a 1024 by 728 pixels setting, and while in there I can see the entire WebMerge window, and able to see and use the The Window Resize Tool, that's beside the point, because:

A) That Window Resize Tool tool is not too reliable, it don't remembers the previous settings, and WebMerge will always will open the way it was made.

B) I like to work on most of my files with a 800 by 600 pixels setting, but in order to do that with the new WebMerge window default position so high, I would then have to switch back and for betwen 800 by 600 and 1024 by 728, in order to get to the WebMerge top menu the first time. (I don't like that unnecessary extra step.)

2 - I noticed that on the About WebMerge window, it nows say: Version 2.5b1, but on the WebMerge Help window, it still say: What's New in WebMerge 2.4?. So we can't see what's new, if the new help file is not new.

I am attaching an example of how close to the top it gets (I am using a 1024 by 728 ressolution on that image, because I can see the top if I use 800 by 600.), and an image of the version on the new WebMerge Help window.

------------
    Attached Images Attached Images

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the report, but rather than fill up this forum with them I can address them much faster if they're sent to me via email as requested.

Please send all but reports to: bugs@fourthworld.com

Thanks!
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks again for the report, Sal.

I just posted Beta 2, which addresses the window location issue on small monitors, and includes the new Help files.

While I was working on it I came across a potentially nasty bug, so I would strongly recommend anyone who downloaded Beta 1 to first run the Uninstaller included with it to remove it, then install this latest beta. Doing this sort of clean install will help ensure that there are no conflicts between components in the two versions.

I'll take a look at the window size tool, but AFAIK you're the only one who uses it, so I probably won't get to that until B3 in a few days, when I also roll out the Linux version.
    Richard Gaskin

While I was working on it I came across a potentially nasty bug, so I would strongly recommend anyone who downloaded Beta 1 to first run the Uninstaller included with it to remove it, then install this latest beta. Doing this sort of clean install will help ensure that there are no conflicts between components in the two versions.
    Ok, I did all that and now is working ok.

This is just for information for other beta users:

When I installed the 2.5 Beta 1, I didn't remove nothing and the the 2.5 Beta 1 remembered my registration number, and when I run the Uninstaller included with it to remove it, the only thing left on that folder was my old 4W_WebMerge.exe file.

Now when I installed Beta 2, it didn't had my registration number on it, so I had to register again.

For me it was not a big deal because I have my numbers close by, but I know a few people that dodn't even remember where they have their original registration number, so they better look for it, before using the Uninstaller.

Affiliate Manager
    While it's always a good idea to keep the reg code email (sooner or later every computer needs to be reformatted <g>), if that's lost I can dig it up for them.

If someone wants to uninstall Beta 1 without losing the reg info, all that's needed is to toss the "4W WebMerge" folder (by default in the Program Files folder, but can be wherever else you told the Installer to put it). The included Uninstaller does a more thorough job, but tossing the "4W WebMerge" folder than contains Beta 1 should be sufficient to avoid potential conflicts with Beta 2 and subsequent test builds.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    WebMerge 2.5 Beta 3 has just been posted for testing:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...load.html#beta
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    One of our diligent testers found an issue with b3 regarding the new index file naming options, so we fixed that and I've just posted WebMerge 2.5 Beta 4 with that issue resolved:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...load.html#beta
    Richard Gaskin

Beta 4 bug?
    I installed the new Webmerge 2.5b4 and I have a few probems with the index pages.

1) if I uncheck the "Field Contents" (under "Naming New Index Pages") and save the project, when I reopen the project the option is still checked.

2) when I want to create multiple index pages based on the inital letter of a DB field (basically an index in alphabetical order) - I select "Multiple Pages" and check "When the value of field changes" but at the end of the process I get only 2 index pages instead of 24. One page is named with my proper "base name" (i.e. index0001.htm) and the other index1.htm. The first index page contains only 2 records and the second one (which is supposed to be named index0002.htm) all the rest of the hundred of records.

In the previous version it was working fine.

Any bug?

Fabio

Affiliate Manager
    On #1, I'll look into that; should be a quick fix.

On #2: Do you have your records sorted to match the field you're using for the page name? See the notes in the Help file at the bottom of the section on the Sources tab which explain the value of sorting for that.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    I just checked #1, and I wasn't able to reproduce that. Please double-check that you saved between loads and let me know how it goes.
    Richard Gaskin

#1 still happening here. I might send you the .4ww file by email
    #2 yes they are sorted. Nothing has changed other than upgrading from 2.4 to 2.5b4

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread