Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Satellite Internet Providers?
    Does anyone know of any good Satellite Internet Providers?

No. When I last checked, their ul and dl speeds were so horrible that I vowed to never look into them again.

-sfcom

DL speed isn't all that bad, is it? Was using satellite at my in laws Saturday, and it was decent. Was able to use Youtube effectively for viewing.

Upload, on the other hand, I heard is bad.

I can't remember who my in laws have though. Will check for you.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    DL speed isn't all that bad, is it? Was using satellite at my in laws Saturday, and it was decent. Was able to use Youtube effectively for viewing.

Upload, on the other hand, I heard is bad.

I can't remember who my in laws have though. Will check for you.
    Thanks.

Just tried to call, but my F-I-L isn't home. I suspect beer, fly rods, or skis as the potential culprits.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    direcway.com = hughesnet.com

I do not have them but know of them. They were the first and I think still the only one that offers it. Many business such as gas stations use them.
    Last edited by Jorge - SHOPiMAR; March 31st, 2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: wrong domain spelling

A few other issues with satellite:

* Latency is pretty bad, which can be an issue in some situations.
    * Bad weather affects the connection (just like satellite TV).
    * It's usually more expensive (both the equipment and monthly charges) than most other options.

Is this for an application where cellular broadband wouldn't work? That's probably better than satellite most of the time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I checked out satellite Internet years ago. Is the upload side still landline?

X

I have Hughes.net, there's no other choice when you live in the middle of nowhere. The only real issues I've seen are latency related and their stupid "fair access policy" that will put you (almost) offline if "too much" bandwidth is consumed during any rolling 24 hour period. It hit me right after my husband got his ipod but normally not a problem. They allow 425Mb/hr.
    The weather has to be incredibly bad before there are any service interruptions. Upload and download are fine, both via modem. more expensive? What's it worth if that's all there is? I pay about $70 a month.

My folks have a cabin in western NC at the top of a mountain. I would like to stay there for the summer and still be able to work. Just looking for options. There is no landline available at this location.

You may have to resort to cell modem which could be iffy at best. Being at the top of a mountain may help though. I used a cell phone as a laptop modem on a train trip down to Calif. a few years ago. It sufficed but I'd hate to try to do any serious work on it.

X

Well, it's right at the top of the mountain at 4600 ft elevation. You can look out and see the tops of the other mountains. Some flakey cell modem won't do. I would really need a good reliable connection.

The downside for a short term installation would be the cost. Maybe you can rent the equipment but they only sell it here and it was about $700 for the equipment and installation. BTW, the latency is only a problem if you were planning to participate in certain online games, it is not anything you would notice in everyday use.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    My folks have a cabin in western NC at the top of a mountain. I would like to stay there for the summer and still be able to work. Just looking for options. There is no landline available at this location.
    Would that be near Spruce Pine,NC? I have visited there in the past and it was very difficult to get a cell signal there. Suffered quite a bit of Nomophobia

Yeah, if you can't get a good cell signal, cellular broadband won't be a good option. In remote areas, it falls back to a slower speed that's usually worse that dialup. Without a good signal, you probably won't even get that. Check the coverage maps at Sprint, AT&T, etc.

With satellite, you'll pay a fortune for the equipment (probably $500 or more) and probably be locked in to a 1 or 2 year contract (at about $100 per month).

Is there an Internet cafe anywhere nearby?

Check for wireless broadband, too, but that's probably a longshot if it's truly remote. It's the same technology as WiFi, but can be directed up to 10 miles or so. There are often local providers in semi-rural areas. It typically costs $200-$300 to install and more like $40/month, often with more flexibility on the contract length.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by buyjewelry
    Would that be near Spruce Pine,NC? I have visited there in the past and it was very difficult to get a cell signal there. Suffered quite a bit of Nomophobia
    Cruso or Canton, NC

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread