Calacanis Says Most Affiliate Sites Last 3 Weeks or 3 Months
    After this revealing moment:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=102453

Jason Calacanis interview---especially interesting at around 4:00 and about 20:00

http://www.fastcompany.tv/video/the-...lo-part-ii-iii

The company layout of employee workstations looks more like a trough for cows. Also, I love the fact that he does all of the thinking for the employees so they can instead focus on "the product." There are other worrysome aspects, but I will let others here point them out.

-sfcom

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Three weeks or three months? Which part of his anatomy did he pull that number out of? Boy must be hanging out with site scrapers if he thinks those numbers are representative.

But hey, what the hell do I know? I've only been doing this since 1999!

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Calacanis Says Most Affiliate Sites Last 3 Weeks or 3 Months
    Is this an april fools joke?

And 93.7% of statistics are made up.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

At SES in New York a few weeks ago, Calacanis noted in his keynote speech has chosen not to make "inflammatory statements" because they were a "waste of time".
    I would be interested to see what he does consider "inflammatory" if this ain't it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    And 93.7% of statistics are made up.

ABW Ambassador
    Who cares what some thin affiliate thinks.

enough with the calacanis already.
    SomethingStore.com - Surprise and Delight!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    enough with the calacanis already.
    I don't think so.

The worse he makes affiliates look in the media, the harder it will be for our industry to be a respected one. Remember he is a damn good marketer and people actually believe what he says, whether it is ultimately true or false. Many out there think affiliate marketing is Clickbank, popups, and JV. There is mass confusion even among IT pros who think affiliate marketing is a dirty, spammy business.

We have to do something to stand up and say we will define our own industry. To have someone of his magnitude spreading lies about affiliate marketers will do nothing but help his ventures while harming ours.

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    That's why we should stop giving him publicity.

"Remember he is a damn good marketer"

And he's continuing to take some affiliates. See some still mentioning him. What did he get from saying SEO is bullshit and the stuff he said about affiliate marketing? A bunch of one way links into his sites from a lot of quality sites. So now a lot of those thin affiliate Mahalo pages are ranking nicely in Google. Examples of that happening have been given recently on a few blogs. A bunch of supposed marketers got played by one.

Someone could easily go to a Blogging convention and do the same thing. We all know there is good and bad but one could go up and give a speech mentioning that 75% of blogspot is spam and adware. That Google Bombing started off with bloggers. All kinds of stuff. Now the smart ones wouldn't reply. But it would be easy to piss a bunch of them off, probably could literally see them get heated in the audience and then off they go to slam the speaker, linking to the speakers sites in anger. And they would have all been played too. It's just a common technique of getting links in. Piss somebody off - link bait. I hate seeing fellow marketers still biting on it.

I'm not keen on discussing him or what he says - but I do think we need to better define the industry because too many people do think that we're nothing more than Clickbank, ebooks, and other junk.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

aren't his 15 minutes up already?

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I hope that room has some really good A/C.

Just because we don't agree with him means we don't discuss him? WTH? Please inform me what boost in popularity he is going to get from an ABW thread, especially when he has already belittled most of this audience.

Daniel hit it right on the head. Stand up and define our industry or have others do it for us (at our expense.)

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    ABW has juice. So that juice goes to the site you linked too which goes to Mahalo. I admit, very little but juice nonetheless.

And I don't consider it standing up, like I said, I see it as continually being baited. Look, we're talking about him again. You're linking to him or a site talking about him again. You got took again. He got you starting a thread about him.

"Most Affiliate Sites Last 3 Weeks or 3 Months"

Why do you think he said that? He knew people would take the bait again. And he's going to keep doing as long as people keep falling for it. And do you really care that he thinks that? I don't.

ABW Ambassador
    Why is anyone giving this rogue of Calcanis type any speaking time?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    ..."Most Affiliate Sites Last 3 Weeks or 3 Months"

Why do you think he said that? He knew people would take the bait again. And do you really care that he thinks that? I don't.
    Take the bait? Yes, I must be stupid. I am not sure what you are wanting me to say here. Just like Haiko with the PJN deal. Did he take the bait also? More talk about them = more potential signups. I don't think you can rightly accuse me of being oh so foolish to "take the bait."

It seems like you and I get into a lot of back and forth about stupid sh!t. If nothing else, you should be able to see that this is truly where he wishes to cause the most issues. Destroy yourselves so I have less competition for my "project." Did you just get taken? Let's not fight amongst ourselves unless we want to help accomplish his goals. I am not always right. You are not always right. Life goes on and at least we are on the same page most of the time.

Regardless, to answer your question... No, I don't really care whether or not he thinks that most aff sites last only 3 weeks/months. But, I do care about his ability to influence 1000s and 1000s of others to believe that.

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    To counter the types of Calcanis, we need strong advocates and voices who can sway 1000s on the pros of AM and how it is used by 1000s of online merchants effectively every minute, every hour, round the clock, year round.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think he made any big deal about the 3 weeks or 3 months, it seemed more like a casual remark (or analogy) made in passing to illustrate a point he was making about trustworthiness of sites.

I also didn't take what he said to mean that affiliate sites would only last 3 weeks or months, but that they've only been around for 3 weeks or 3 months and haven't built up the kind of credibility, trust and online relationships that an older site can accumulate over time, where stability and trust and reputation are concerned.

In the context of what he was trying to get across, he does have somewhat of a valid point. A site that's been built up and grown over a period of a few years, with some longevity and a positive track record, logically has more credibility and value than one that's just been put up in the past month or so, that has no track record or established worth, being too new.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Given his history with this industry, I really don't think that's what he was going for - it's too "thanks, Captain Obvious" for him. To use that statement to basically say "if it's been around it has more credibility than if it's new" (well duh!)... I think that's a stretch.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I'm not defending him, his statements current or past. But do we know how long the average affiliate website stays 'live', meaning not abandoned by its owner?

I think 3 months may be too long on average. I was watching some late night tv a couple of nights ago and saw the 'get rich with 10 free websites' infomercial. Don't ask me why I watched it... I just couldn't turn it off. But if you count all of those thousands of people who buy programs like this and then find out they can't really make $1,500 their second day and $20,000 their second month... there may be a lot of affiliate sites out there that get abandoned very quickly.

Aside from that... I agree he's just looking for buzz and we keep giving it to him.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Just wait until his latest concept fails, and my affiliate ventures keep on going - Just look at its current state:

http://www.mahalo.com/Special:Search...&go=Web+Search
    http://www.mahalo.com/Web_Hosting
    http://www.mahalo.com/Affiliate_Marketing

So... what's the use of this service? I'm guaranteed to get a crowded page, with links that have no description, and that may or may not actually be relevant? The only thing worthwhile on the page is the search ads for all I'm concerned. Joshua says that most web 2.0 social networking search engines last until their VC runs out...

I get more value out of affiliate based sites than his.

ABW Ambassador
    I was just listening to it, when talking about letting sites into Mahalo:

"spammers and seos and affiliate sites they don't exist for 3 years they exist for 3 weeks, 3 months and they don't have any traffic typically."

So the title of the thread is a little misleading. Maybe spam sites/throwaway domain type sites last for a short period. As far as traffic, I would think spammers and seos typically DO have traffic along with other affiliate sites. Which I think is funny overall, talking about sites they don't let in when a lot of Mahalo pages themselves wouldn't pass the raters at Google and would be flagged. There are some good ones but also plenty of thin affiliate junk. And it wasn't a deep discussion on affiliate sites or anything like that, just talking about Mahalo.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread