Question Can you help me figure this out...?
    Okay... I have a page on one of my sites that used to convert very well. It's not a product page, but there are affiliate links on it (register for free information and the like), that were converting perfectly. Each day, I'd earn commission for about 25 registrations from that one page.

At the BOTTOM of that page is a large rectangle of text adsense links. When my links were converting well, the adsense on that site was doing okay. I'd get about 5-10 clicks per day from that one page. Fine. NOW, though (with more exposure, higher page rank, more popularity, etc.), I'm seeing about 1 or 2 commission conversions per day... and 20+ adsense clicks from that same page. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If they arrive at that page, they are looking for information on the topic at hand. The page is arranged such that there are a few paragraphs of copy, followed by about 25 links in a row (an unordered list), with explanations as to what/where they lead (again... they are all free). The adsense is at the BOTTOM of the page (well below the fold).

SO -- what is baffling me to no end (yes, I have lost sleep over this, trying to figure it out), is how ALL of my readers are reading my copy, then SKIPPING over ALL the free registration links that they came looking for... and arriving at the bottom of the page to click on adsense links. My thinking is that since adsense click-thrus used to be about 20% of the commission conversions... and since adsense has increased about 4-fold... then I SHOULD have seen some like increase in the number of commissions on the cj links on that page. (Nothing has changed on that page AT ALL. No change in copy, order, or placement of adsense links.)

Anyone...?

To me, it sounds like your old traffic has mostly disappeared and the new traffic is actually less targeted. Many are getting to the bottom of the page without finding what they were looking for, and the AdSense ads are more relevant than what was on the page.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    To me, it sounds like your old traffic has mostly disappeared and the new traffic is actually less targeted. Many are getting to the bottom of the page without finding what they were looking for, and the AdSense ads are more relevant than what was on the page.
    I guess that *could* be the case... but I've not changed my ads at all, and the adsense ads are practically identical to the information on the page. And like I said, if they arrived at that page, the info there is exactly what they're looking for (there's no mistaking what the page is about, etc.)

For example... the page might be titled "Information regarding buying or making widgets to sell" ... and the links thereafter are an unordered list of places to get specific information. ("Company XY offers black and blue widgets and/or widget kits for the do it yourselfer." "If you're interested in fuzzy widgets, Acme Widgets is the place to go." Etc.) THEN... the adsense at the bottom of the page is basically advertising the SAME stuff they just read... VERY OFTEN for a fee. (Adsense: "Get your info about widget kits!" "Information about where to get widget kits, just $9.99!" "Looking for widgets? Get info here for just $7.99, free shipping.")

Do you have the time to test that page and remove the adsense links? Check to see if Michael is right. If your content conversion is still low, then its time to update the content. Do a three-day test and remove the adsense links but make sure you don't do anything to skew the results.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread