Question Do I need a Business license for a content site ?
    What should i use 2 build a content site ?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    1) not necessary.
    2) It depends on your experience.
    Are you a programmer? Php, aspx, etc

do u mean a website programmer ? no im not i just want 2 have a site for now and experiment from there and be an affiliate ?

This question confuses me -- under what circumstances would anyone need a "business license" to run a website? Would that be a local, state, provincial, regional, national license? And who issues the licenses?

I don't know of any regulations here in the U.S. which require business licensing simply to set up and maintain a website??

AM I ILLEGAL???????
    Generate more fake news.

actually, I think Los Angeles may require one if you are a resident with any online business income.

it's not necessary to have a license to have a content site. unless maybe if you live in LA as posted by Herb.

Although, you might want to incorporate a company if you are monetizing it - depending on any tax advantages or tax laws for your specific situation. You should consult a CPA for that advise.

Remind me again never to move to LA. LOL!

I know here in good old Springfield, MO, the only business licensing I would need would be if I were doing retail business or service business out of my home. Even if I have a website, as long as I'm not actually selling stuff directly through the website, I don't need a license.

So doing affiliate marketing, there's no licensing issue, as I'm not a merchant. I think if I were a merchant and not an affiliate it could become an issue, but I've never had to find out.
    Generate more fake news.

Hmmmm...let me think about this...

We have two homes, about 140 miles apart in Maryland, and I split my time almost equally between them throughout the year. I also did several hours of work (this year) when I was in Las Vegas at Affiliate Summit. My websites are NOT hosted in Maryland, they are served from machines in New Jersey, Virginia AND Texas. I have had customers from all 50 states, several countries in Europe, and a few each in the other continents (excluding Antarctica and only one in Australia ).

The sales are fulfilled by merchants [primarily] in Texas, Missouri and Florida; but I have also had merchandise shipped from merchants and/or warehouses in several states. I also did some photography work in Bermuda last fall for a new (upcoming) Cruise site in conjunction with a new cruise terminal in Baltimore (being served by cruise lines from Norway and The Bahamas). And I may soon be developing a Dubai travel/hotels/business organizations site. I received income, as verified on 1099 forms, from ten different companies last year. Only one of those commissions came from a Maryland company; and one even came from a German-owned company. I am being forced to incorporate because of tax ramifications, and I am considering becoming a Delaware corporation.

So, with whom should I file for a business license? This could get a bit complicated, eh?

I am sure that many of us can come up with other "mixed" scenarios. Unfortunately, one day ALL of the various governments will probably ALL try to get a piece of OUR action.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I'm part of a business so I report my affiliate income through that which is complicated enough since it is all foreign income. I let my accountant figure out how to consider it.

How can we say whether you should or shouldn't get a business license. We don't even know where you live.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    This question confuses me -- under what circumstances would anyone need a "business license" to run a website? Would that be a local, state, provincial, regional, national license? And who issues the licenses?

I don't know of any regulations here in the U.S. which require business licensing simply to set up and maintain a website??

AM I ILLEGAL???????
    I would ask an accountant. After I started doing this full time for awhile, my parents were the first ones to actually bring this up and said I needed to get a business license since this is what I do for a living, this is my business. And it's local and not much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I would ask an accountant.......
    I should have mentioned, and recommended, that in my above post. I do have a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) and Business Insurance. The business insurance is more for possible liability issues than protection of my laptops.

It was my CPA who helped me set up as an LLC a few years ago. And it is he who will guide me in setting up the corporation before year end.

Back when I was just beginning to earn profits I wasn't too concerned - the small checks just allowed me buy some toys. But once I could envision this becoming my main source of income I wanted to have things set up properly. So I have a CPA, an LLC, and Business Insurance, but (so far) no business license needed.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

To get started on the site, many beginning web hosts have site templates that you simply type in whatever content you have and the site is already there for you. A matter of minutes and hours.

The next step is to learn basic site design with a good wysiwyg web editor (Nvu is a free one).

If your ambitions are to have a full bells and whistles pro site from the get go, you should hire a web designer to do it for you.

Good luck.

Don't hire a web designer unless you have lots of money in the bank.

Use a free program such as WordPress, Ning, etc... if you want to build a site and start playing around with it.

The goal in this business is to spend as little money as possible while you are starting the learning curve.

I talked to a few web designer shops and they wanted mucho money for what I wanted to build. Then I found Ning and got the sites I wanted for free with the ability to add some premium services as I started understanding what I was doing.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread