Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Private Domain Registrations in 2008
    I'm interesting in hearing how you guys feel about private domain registrations in 2008.

This was an interesting thread but I wonder if things have changed a bit.

I'm usually a PO Box/evoice type of person but now with all these so-called "spy on your competitor and find out all the domains a person owns" tools I'm getting a bit protective.

I'm starting to think it's not just about people coming to your house and calling you, it's deeper because now everyone wants to know everything you are doing so they can copy it.

By the way, I loved the when Aunt Lily said "My goals in life are to be invisible, unimportant, and very rich." I feel the same way.

So how important is whois information today?

Feel free to tell me if you feel I'm being completely ridiculous and overly paranoid.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    All of my domains are registered privately.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    So how important is whois information today?.....
    I agree with most of what you stated/suggested - when it comes to privacy - and the increasing prevalence of copycats. And, I, too, would like to be unknown but very comfortably well off.

However, for selling big ticket items the "real" WHOIS data adds credibility to a site. I know I won't purchase from an "unknown" site and really do check the WHOIS for the domain to see if it matches the "Contact Us" page - before I turn over a CC number. If the domain is "private" I will not buy form that site. I know that may not mean a whole lot, but it does eliminate one variable. Goog also "slightly" favors a site with true contact info over a site without.

Most of my travel stuff is private label - so I have to show as much credibility as possible. In my two main markets I am honest about Contact info and domain info and I am also a member of the local Chamber of Commerce in one place and a prominent business association in the other. That way, I can also show those association logos on my sites.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    However, for selling big ticket items the "real" WHOIS data adds credibility to a site. I know I won't purchase from an "unknown" site and really do check the WHOIS for the domain to see if it matches the "Contact Us" page - before I turn over a CC number. If the domain is "private" I will not buy form that site.
    I don't think merchant sites should use private registration for the reasons you listed, but what about plain old affiliate sites?

Should affiliates use it as an additional protection on their niches and methods? Or is that unnecessary overkill?

It kind of gave me a little shiver when I went to a whois site and it said <this person> owns <this many> domains, purchase a report on the domains <<this person>> owns.

What's up with that? How are they even getting that information.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    It kind of gave me a little shiver when I went to a whois site and it said <this person> owns <this many> domains, purchase a report on the domains <<this person>> owns.

What's up with that? How are they even getting that information.
    In addition to that, they show what domains are on a server. So, if you know one of my domains, that would be all you needed to get my full list (if I had them all on the same server, which I don't.)

Let's face it, all of the "tools" are in place and nobody can stay unknown now. Whether it be using Spyfu or domaintools. There are some that have valid reasons for a private registration. Unfortunately, the private registrations are becoming less and less private. What can you do? As technology increases, these services become more and more readily available. I would encourage everyone to take a look at how their assets show on them. It can be quite alarming.

-sfcom

Well I have a few hundred domain names so I sell them every once in awhile. I prefer the public route for that reason as I get email offers and phone calls from prospective buyers. When I have my names up for auction at a place like Sedo - I believe they need too see the actual info before a domain listing is allowed.

I would imagine merchants would probably like to see a match on the domain records for affiliates applying to their program (if they bother to look at all).

I get email spam from bogus registrar/appraisal companies sometimes though - not a big deal.
    Larry Wentz
    <a href="http://twitter.com/LarryWentz">Twitter.com/LarryWentz</a>

All of my "important" domains are privately registered. Only those that are used for testing or other things are out there for the world to see.

I believe it was Billy Kay who had a post a long time ago that he actually had someone show up at his house to purchase an item that he had seen on his site.

Since reading that I do the private registration.

You'll need unique IPs for each site (preferentially non-sequential), or just throw all of your sites on a shared hosting service that puts everything on 1 IP in order to really throw people off.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    In addition to that, they show what domains are on a server. So, if you know one of my domains, that would be all you needed to get my full list (if I had them all on the same server, which I don't.)
    If you're on shared service, the domains that people will see as your server neighbors may have nothing to do with you. In this context, I guess that's sort of like walking down a busy city street with other pedestrians who are strangers to you. No one will judge you by who else happens to be in Times Square when you are.

The usual context in which this is raised, though, is the opposite, where people judge you by the quality of those strangers who are your server neighbors.

I don't have evidence for this, but my guess is that most people pay attention to neither of these two contexts when they surf and shop.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Is there a shut down way to domain registration? What I mean, the ones that I mentioned in another thread, where I buy domains thru my hosting, was automatically private. But then I checked later and some other sites have it, those site analytic places.

There have been times I've checked the whois on sites and see things like Domain By Proxy where I guess it's a shut down type of service or is it?

I don't do private registration.

If its a site I'm proud enough to have visible to the public, then I am proud enough to have my name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike
    I don't have evidence for this, but my guess is that most people pay attention to neither of these two contexts when they surf and shop.
    The OP isn't referring to consumers, he's referring to competitors finding out what other sites you own.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    There have been times I've checked the whois on sites and see things like Domain By Proxy where I guess it's a shut down type of service or is it?
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean but I use Domains By Proxy when I decide to register a domain privately. That way their info shows up, not mine. I never buy domains through my hosting.

ABW Ambassador
    DomainsByProxy is a joke. I had a private registration and apparently all it took was someone claiming to be an attorney to say they had a reason to need my information and BAM they got it. And I got charged $20. Yipeee!!!
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I remember reading that on this forum. Was that you?

Maybe I should change who I register my private domains with as I'd be so annoyed if I was charged for that. Did you find out who asked for the info?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I believe DBP is a godaddy service for private registrations.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread