Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Google splits search and affiliate marketing
    April 2, 2008
    As you are aware, Google closed its acquisition of DoubleClick on March 11, 2008. Since that time, we have been actively involved in integration planning for each of our products and business units. We have recently completed this process for the DoubleClick Performics business.

As a result of our planning, we are formally splitting DoubleClick Performics into two separately-run business units - Affiliate Marketing and Search Marketing. We plan to integrate the Affiliate Marketing business into existing Google operations, providing enhanced value and reach for our Affiliate advertisers and additional tools and monetization opportunities for our publishers. We plan to sell the Search Marketing business unit to a third party. In Europe, these plans and their implications for our employees are subject to consultation with staff and employee representatives, where applicable.

I guess bigger and better things to come for advertisers and affiliates.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Google officially going into affiliate programs?
    from performics email - "As a result of our planning, we are formally splitting DoubleClick Performics into two separately-run business units - Affiliate Marketing and Search Marketing. We plan to integrate the Affiliate Marketing business into existing Google operations, providing enhanced value and reach for our Affiliate advertisers and additional tools and monetization opportunities for our publishers."

(http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...ce=yahoo_quote - I guess I should have seen this coming)
    Larry Wentz
    <a href="http://twitter.com/LarryWentz">Twitter.com/LarryWentz</a>

Not sure what to make of this (yet).

How does everyone else feel about it?

Pretty Interesting.

Here is the letter sent out to affiliates & clients:

As you are aware, Google closed its acquisition of DoubleClick on March 11, 2008. Since that time, we have been actively involved in integration planning for each of our products and business units. We have recently completed this process for the DoubleClick Performics business.

As a result of our planning, we are formally splitting DoubleClick Performics into two separately-run business units - Affiliate Marketing and Search Marketing. We plan to integrate the Affiliate Marketing business into existing Google operations, providing enhanced value and reach for our Affiliate advertisers and additional tools and monetization opportunities for our publishers. We plan to sell the Search Marketing business unit to a third party. In Europe, these plans and their implications for our employees are subject to consultation with staff and employee representatives, where applicable.

During this transition, we will ensure that customers receive the same high level of service that they have always experienced. For those of you who have DoubleClick Performics relationships that include both Search and Affiliate Marketing services, we will assign separate account teams for each service. We will contact you shortly with more information regarding your assigned account team.

The Search Marketing business will continue to run as a separate entity until the division is sold. All client data will, of course, be kept confidential. Please contact your
    Search account manager for additional information.

We plan to continue to aggressively invest in and grow our Search Marketing business during this period of transition, and we look forward to continuing our relationship with each of our Search clients.

Thank you for your continued support of DoubleClick Performics.

Unhappy
    Mongo only a pawn in the Game of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    Mongo only a pawn in the Game of Life
    LOL.... That's how I feel as well! (I'm sure the 300 ex-doubleclick employees feel the same today)
    Larry Wentz

Too much power in one place.

so google has sent US jobs to Europe.

Wow, that seems like big news. So it sounds like Performics was the only part of Doubleclick they were interested in? That's what it sounds like to me, anyway.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    so google has sent US jobs to Europe.
    No... They're referring to the fact that the steps of splitting up Performics may require approval of employee representatives where applicable in Europe. Doubleclick already has employees in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Wow, that seems like big news. So it sounds like Performics was the only part of Doubleclick they were interested in? That's what it sounds like to me, anyway.
    Plus the HUGE display ad business.
    SomethingStore.com - Surprise and Delight!

From - http://blog.clickz.com/071205-163819.html

"Paisley stressed Valueclick's lone position as the last independent major ad management platform if Google's acquisition of DoubleClick goes through (an FTC decision is expected soon). If it is eventually approved here and in Europe, it's likely that DoubleClick would shed its Performics SEM business, which would create conflicts of interest with its new parent company. In that case, said Paisley in response to a question from the audience, Valueclick would be interested in snapping up Performics."

I remember this discussion in a Valueclick's earnings call about buying Performics SEM business (We own VCLK stock).
    Larry Wentz

http and a telephoto
    Merged two similar threads to keep discussion together.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

If I read this correctly, Google will now officially be in the affiliate business - this will make the "Google Hates Affiliates" threads more interesting.

For Google, actually "punishing" affiliate links - especially links from competing affiliate companies - will now carry the possible twin business demons of "anti-competitive practices" and "conflict of interest"

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lansing
    If I read this correctly, Google will now officially be in the affiliate business - this will make the "Google Hates Affiliates" threads more interesting.

For Google, actually "punishing" affiliate links - especially links from competing affiliate companies - will now carry the possible twin business demons of "anti-competitive practices" and "conflict of interest"
    It will be interesting to see what they do with all of the information they just purchased, too.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Quote Originally Posted by lansing

I was thinking along these lines too...although I am not really sure who is going to be able to call them on it if they do punish affiliate links from competitors.

lansing wrote: If I read this correctly, Google will now officially be in the affiliate business - this will make the "Google Hates Affiliates" threads more interesting.

That's what has me scratching my head.

How can they have an active interest in affiliate marketing if, on the other hand, they are censoring certain affiliate-coded links?

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Merged two similar threads to keep discussion together.
    Thanks Loxly! Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by styleforfree
    That's what has me scratching my head.

How can they have an active interest in affiliate marketing if, on the other hand, they are censoring certain affiliate-coded links?

Maybe "google hates affiliates" has now morphed into "google hates clickbank" (etc.) ???????

It's never been "Google hates affiliates". It's always been "Google hates low quality sites and duplicate content". It just happens that "low quality" and "duplicate content" describes many affiliate sites.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It's never been "Google hates affiliates". It's always been "Google hates low quality sites and duplicate content". It just happens that "low quality" and "duplicate content" describes many affiliate sites.
    In theory, yes, this is true.

I'm not disputing that there are many affiliate sites that are thin/ low quality etc. That is certainly true. But I've seen quality affiliate sites that rank below other sites of lesser quality. I've picked this apart at length in several small niches that I am considering building sites for. And also in the niches I am already active in. This post would be a lot more meaninful if I were able to post actual site examples, but I am not really comfortable doing that.

One more related observation. On one of my sites, I recently, as an experiment, changed several pages. The pages in question contain lots of content plus affiliate links to several merchants. The only change made to the pages was that I changed the links so that the affiliate links were not visible to the search engines. Nothing sinister or misleading on my part, I wasn't trying to be blackhat. The links are all clearly labeled as to where they go (anchor text is language along the lines of "merchant X has these widgets for sale") so that my site's visitors don't have any crazy surprises when they click. When I made that small change, the changed pages shot way up in search results. They went from buried to page 1 or 2.

Coincidence? well, maybe, but right about then I started to give more weight to the whole "google hates affiliates" thing.

Edited to add: I've also done experiments on my own pages. Every time I've tested this, the results have been the same. Take a page full of useful, relevant content about a particular widget. Add one affiliate link to it, "Merchant X sells these widgets". Check the rankings. Later, add more affiliate links. "Merchant Y sells them here", "merchant Z sells them here", "Merchant A sells them here" (etc) and all of a sudden that very same page is buried on page 799.

ABW Ambassador
    They don't hate affiliates, they don't censor other network affiliate links, affiliate marketing is not dying etc.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I think this is truly great news, makes my day!!!

G bought DoubleClick for the DoubleClick ad distribution systems, clients and such... but the purchase came with DoubleClicks' Performics division... what to do with that...

Performics does these two main things:
    (1) SEM (consulting and management for seo, ppc, etc - all things that are viewed by many as being a direct conflict of interest for G to own)
    (2) Affiliate Marketing Network (like CJ, LinkShare, ShareASale, Avantlink, etc)

G's decision to sell off the SEM is great, no conflict of interest - everyone predicted this part would happen, no biggie to most affs either way, but as consumers (and consultants and other things), this is the ideal path for the SEM half of PFX... break it off from G and sell it.

The part we here at ABW really care about is the Affiliate Network question... looks like it's going to be part of G going forward! If Kellie or Ben or whoever posts stories about bad stuff going on about them, the press will snap it up and G will fix it. G knows who webmasters and marketers are through registrations for adwords, adsense, analytics, gmail and many other services - they are uniquely armed to cut through all the "transparency" lies that have been told by PFX (and others) in the past and that are still told today by the other large Affiliate Networks. I think G possesses the will and motivation and data and know-how to stop shitware more than anyone else. This is a great day indeed!

If G takes PFX towards cleanliness and value, CJ and LinkShare and the crapware subaffiliate CPA networks are going to come under a lot of pressure to clean up and add value - or they'll get whipped in the marketplace.

G's going to discover some unpleasant things as they dig into PFX's past and some of their current practices/partners, I've been hearing things they've been doing recently, to begin turning the corner, already. I'm not ready to declare them a Donuts-endorsed, clean, honest, value-add network - but this news, to me, means they must head that way to be a part of G's mission and publicly owned, well-known persona.

The drunk gutter monger got a shave recently, bet there are people feverishly working on getting him into the gym, regularly going to the dentist, getting his shots and even brushing his teeth... I look forward to meeting that cleaned up bum in the future.

Remember also, adware steals from a merchant's PPC ROI... think that through... G will move to plug holes in their merchant's PPC leaks, like cross-channel affiliate badware snarking of PPC-driven sales...

I hope the bum cleans up real nice and takes tons of quality merchants from CJ and LinkShare and any other network that have been pushing BHOs and AdWare popping trash on their clients for years and years, knowing their biggest competitiors were doing the same thing... there's a chance here, a very good one in my opinion, that all that just changed. One clean, well-entrenched biggie network with a great name to protect will change our landscape!

Time will tell... I figure maybe 6-12 months after the PFX split is finally cleaved and the people moving has settled... then the googlization happens and their practices will begin to change.

And I bet folks like Kellie and Ben and others are excited about testing G's PFX stuff shortly... show how a Google subsidiary is screwing people and you can effect change and grow your research business and get tons of press and be the people's hero...

Congrats to PFX's network half on this news! Your new stepDad's got changes in store for you - sounds tough, but I think it'll eventually make a man out of you! One that Mom can be very proud of.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread